David Price sooner than later - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

David Price sooner than later

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

David Price sooner than later

Postby provpike » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:46 pm

He is progressing well...here is today's update:

Montgomery Biscuit lefty David Price remains too good for the minor leagues. He tossed six shutout innings in Double-A on Tuesday night, striking out five, walking two and allowing five hits. In two Double-A starts, Price is now 2-0 with a 1.50 ERA, a 2-to-1 K-to-BB ratio, a 1-to-1 hits-to-inning ratio and a .209 batting-average against.
(Updated 07/02/2008).
Fantasy Analysis
Price is a combined 6-0 with a 1.74 ERA, 49 Ks, 13 BB and a .218 batting-average against in his first eight professional starts in his month-plus career. He is the best pitching prospect, since ... well, pick your pitching phenom of choice: Felix Hernandez, Dwight Gooden, Sandy Koufax. Own him in all leagues you can afford to wait a few weeks on a potential superstar Fantasy pitcher. You don't think he can arrive that quickly? The Rays thought he could have arrived late last year after drafting him No. 1 overall in June. Then they thought he could compete for a rotation spot this spring, but a tender elbow and zero pro experience gave them caution. Lock it up: Price can arrive by Aug. 1.
provpike
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: David Price sooner than later

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:49 pm

i think CBS Sportsline is just so in love with this guy they are convinced he is coming up
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby skjelstrom » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:06 pm

He will be a GREAT pitcher but I think they should keep him down as long as possible and let him work out whatever he needs to so he doesn't end up being a Bruce. 1 week of amazing performance then :-t
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby ROC AllStars » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:09 pm

skjelstrom wrote:He will be a GREAT pitcher but I think they should keep him down as long as possible and let him work out whatever he needs to so he doesn't end up being a Bruce. 1 week of amazing performance then :-t

I agree with you that they are likely to keep Price in the minors for quite some time, but I disagree that more time in AAA could have helped Bruce in any way. Too many people expected Bruce to be the second coming of Ryan Braun. Hell, Ryan Braun '08 isn't even the second coming of Ryan Braun '07. Rookie years like that come around very rarely. I'm expecting Bruce to rebound a bit, and put up respectable numbers for a rookie season, but that doesn't mean he's going to hit .330 with 34 HR. Those expectations were simply unrealistic.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:14 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i think CBS Sportsline is just so in love with this guy they are convinced he is coming up

I agree
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby shinedog » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:33 am

For what it's worth, Baseball Tonight was doing a story on TB just before the start of the series with the Red Sox and they said that David Price should be up in the second half to give them another power arm. With the way their starting rotation has been pitching, if he did get called up, he'd more than likely be out of the pen. It just caught my ear because that was the first time I heard his name come up on Baseball Tonight.
shinedog
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazing Oopah » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:17 pm

The Rays are in a tight race for the AL East... wouldn´t it make more sense for the Rays to pick up a veteran arm for the stretch run?
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:01 pm

shinedog wrote:For what it's worth, Baseball Tonight was doing a story on TB just before the start of the series with the Red Sox and they said that David Price should be up in the second half to give them another power arm. With the way their starting rotation has been pitching, if he did get called up, he'd more than likely be out of the pen. It just caught my ear because that was the first time I heard his name come up on Baseball Tonight.

I don't see the point in rushing the kid up to the show just yet if he's only going to come out of the 'pen. Let him pitch some innings in AAA and then if he continues his dominance, go ahead and bring him up as the 4th or 5th starter for the stretch run.

The Rays are in a tight race for the AL East... wouldn´t it make more sense for the Rays to pick up a veteran arm for the stretch run?

Uh, the rays may very well be on their way to running away with the AL East...just made the Sox look silly these last couple days and guys like Upton and Pena aren't even hitting all that well yet...if they all get hot for a couple weeks together, this team is downright scary.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:30 pm

skjelstrom wrote:He will be a GREAT pitcher but I think they should keep him down as long as possible and let him work out whatever he needs to so he doesn't end up being a Bruce. 1 week of amazing performance then :-t

Update: Bruce it 2 HR's yesterday. ;-D
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

I don't see how it makes any sense to give a 20-year old rookie a starting position down the stretch of a tight playoff race. I'd bet anything that Price doesn't supplant anyone in the rotation. He might start a few times if they call him up, but he'd quickly be converted into middle relief.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates