Overcoming injuries? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Overcoming injuries?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Overcoming injuries?

Postby ha_jai » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:03 am

Greetings,

I was wondering what your strategy is in overcoming injuries. Seems like a lot of studs are getting injured this year and I am sure I am not alone in trying to deal with injuries. When you are in a league with a limited bench, do you drop your studs for somebody who can help? I am getting concern as I am tumbling down the standings. Standard 5x5 roto league. Weekly lineup changes with 1 DL and 3 bench spots.

Forgive me for whining but I thought I had a decent fantasy team this year. But at one point or another during the season I've had the following players on the DL:

SMoltz, Ortiz, Young (the pitcher), Posada, Byrnes, Sheffield, Pedro, Maggs, and now maybe M-Cab is out too. So amongst my 1st 8 picks in the draft, 6 of them are on the DL. I can't remember ever having this many guys on the DL. :-o

Have you ever had a season where you had injuries galore and still end up in first?
ha_jai
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Overcoming injuries?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:56 pm

It really depends on the players, your roster limitations and the severity of the injury.
Unless it is confirmed a stud is out for the year I won't drop him. Guys like Byrnes, Posada and Shef I can see dropping.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby The Mighty Trow » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:13 pm

My sympathies. My team has been visited by numerous injuries - 8 out of my top 10 picks have been DLed at some point. So maybe my advice isn't worth much ;-) but in my experience there is no real experience. I've had to relegate 2 of my OF and my 2 utility spots as "rotating" spots. I'll play the hot hands at these positions until they cool down, and then move on to the next big thing. I've been able to employ Quentin, Nady, Bruce, Guillen, DeJesus, Bourn, and others in this role. It helps to sell high on certain players, like Bourn and Bruce.

All said and done, I'd work to trade a stud player before I drop him. Hold onto MCab, Ortiz and Ordonez, they're proven commodities. The others are (imho) unsure things or easily replaceable on the waivers.

GL ;-D
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby MTUCache » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:17 pm

Honestly, I've been knocking on wood all season... there's been plenty of guys going down for extended periods that I strongly considered grabbing at certain spots in my draft. Just dumb luck so far I guess.

Up until this point, I've had a handful of minor stints (Holliday, Doumit, Manny, etc), and only one real significant long-term problem (Figgins), who seems to be getting ready for a healthy second half (I hope).

Of course, now that I say this, I'm sure Lincecum and Webb will go down for the rest of the year and leave me completely screwed. :-L
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers