Oswalt... hurt??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Oswalt... hurt???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Oswalt... hurt???

Postby PavanoAllstars » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:59 pm

Was pitching a gem tonight... came out of the game after an at bat... anyone got an update or perhaps was watching the game??? Only threw 78 pitches so it had to be an injury of some sort... I already lost Pierre today, I don't need this!!!
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Oswalt... hurt???

Postby Carew7 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:36 pm

strained hip... day to day
Carew7
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby PavanoAllstars » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:46 pm

very similar to the injury he had a while back against the rangers... he's looked like his old self lately... hope he's ok for his next start...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PavanoAllstars » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:06 am

Oswalt's own words... doesn't sound too alarming, maybe miss a start... we'll see:

"Hopefully it ain’t too bad," Oswalt (7-8) said. "I think I came out before it got real bad, but I felt it (on the) last pitch in the sixth. I probably should have told them before I went out to bat. I thought maybe I could go out there and pitch the seventh and get through the seventh and maybe the eighth. Hopefully it was just a hip pointer where your ribs hit your hip."
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Return of the King » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:19 am

any news????
Return of the King
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rib217 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:35 pm

His start is being pushed back to Tuesday against the Pirates, he is then scheduled to pitch the next Sunday against the Nats which is the last game before the break.

That's the plan if all goes well.
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby PavanoAllstars » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:58 pm

Oswalt to miss nest start... traveling to Houston to get hip examined... not good...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PavanoAllstars » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:22 pm

No start this upcoming tuesday against the pirates... he's going to be examined back in Houston... sounds like the hip is still barking, the Astros aren't ruling a DL trip out until they hear from the doctor... i'm going to bet he'll sit out until after the all star break... maybe it'll be a mixed blessing and he'll get healthy for us...

I just hate the injuries this year, they've decimated me... Putz, Waino, Furcal, Pierre, Ortiz... now Oswalt? Right when he starts pitching well too!!!! :-L

Hope for good news!
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PavanoAllstars » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:22 pm

Oswalt got a shot in his problematic hip today... will pitch from flat ground Monday, will pitch a bullpen session on Tuesday... then will be evaluated... I gotta believe they're going to be extra cautious, maybe we won't see him until after the all star break, I just want him to be healthy so he can have a good second half and put the nightmare that was this first half behind him... just get healthy...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Little Lee » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:25 pm

Having already missed one start, Roy Oswalt is having his next start pushed back so that he can be examined in Houston by Dr. Mike McCann. He will likely have an MRI to determine the severity of the strain, but the fact that he had pain playing catch on flat ground is not a good indication, so a DL possibility is certainly there. He also received a pain-killing injection on Saturday , so it is obviously hurting him a fair amount.

This is presenting like a strain of the Gluteus Medius (hip abductor). He felt the pain originally during his start on June 30, while pushing off the rubber. At push-off, the Gluteus Medius abducts the thigh (pushes the thigh outward against the rubber), and stabilizes the pelvis - preventing it from dropping down on the contralateral (opposite) side.

He has not been terribly effective this season, yielding a whopping HR/FB percentage of 16.4% (career average of 9%), and an increased line drive percentage of 22%, which is up from the past two seasons (16% and 19.9%). Contrary to the popular belief that his velocity has been down, his average fastball this season is 92.5 mph, which is consistent with past seasons (92.7 in ‘07, 92.7 in ‘06, 93.1 in ‘05). One trend I have noticed is that he is using his fastball less and less since 2005, relying more and more on his slider and curveball - especially this year, perhaps due to this nagging hip injury. Thank you to Fangraphs for the data.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
Yogi Berra
Little Lee
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates