Things to Do When You're Bored at Work (Without internet) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Things to Do When You're Bored at Work (Without internet)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Things to Do When You're Bored at Work (Without internet)

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:32 am

DaShiz23 wrote:I like to make football playbooks. I'll draw out tons of formations with many plays for each, both for offense and defense. I have filled several huge notebooks.

ive done that in class a million times.

i also write out my entire fantasy team seemingly over and over again, specifically after a draft but before the season starts (or maybe right when the season starts) and try to project out all my numbers.

before a draft i would rank every position numerous times.

but yea, you should probably ask for more work and you'd probably impress someone higher up.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:53 am

I've always had a doodling problem as far back as I can remember. Even when there's a meeting and there's a notepad in front of me, you bet I'm doodling. You guys might draw blueprints to your dream homes, dream girls, and golf courses but for me, I've always liked designing stadiums. It's not that I had an obsession with the intention of becoming an architect, but I'm fascinated with architecture, baseball stadiums especially. Back when I was in high school and college, I'd draw my own manga on the side while I took notes in class. Oddly, drawing in class and during staff meetings actually made me concentrate better.

Especially if you're working in accounting/finance or any job that requires number crunching, bring a graphing calculator with some TI games built in (at least that's how I got through high school). Might be a bit noisy pressing all those buttons but it's not too distracting where you rub your fellow co-workers the wrong way that you're unprofessional. Of course, if you use a computer on the job (albeit no Internet), there shouldn't be too much problem in staving off boredom. For example, you can teach yourself advanced Excel functions.

I don't have any other suggestions that you haven't heard here, but if I were you, I'd ask your supervisor if there's anything you can help in. It's one thing to ask him/her to give you more work, but another to ask what tasks you could help around in. Could score you some kudos points with your employer. It's also the kiss-arse way of doing things (which deep down inside I don't personally advise), but given that you're relatively new in the working world, it could get you off on the right foot.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:03 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
DaShiz23 wrote:I like to make football playbooks. I'll draw out tons of formations with many plays for each, both for offense and defense. I have filled several huge notebooks.

ive done that in class a million times.

i also write out my entire fantasy team seemingly over and over again, specifically after a draft but before the season starts (or maybe right when the season starts) and try to project out all my numbers.

before a draft i would rank every position numerous times

but yea, you should probably ask for more work and you'd probably impress someone higher up.

Thats exactly what i would do.. i print out positional tiers or top 500 lists and circle all the players i like for the next year and cross off the ones i dont like

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:43 am

Yeah, fantasy baseball is a great thing to do at work... I often grab a pad of paper and go for it -- depending on the time of the year. Preseason I go nuts, especially calculating auction league possiblities. That's hours right there. Add up projections, count up money totals...

This time of the season I like to draw out trade possibilities. But it's usually just for the fun of it because you go home and propose the master trade you worked out and it gets rejected anyway.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby zepfan » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:55 am

Learn to spin your pen around in your fingers. I had tried a few different methods that I wasn't able to master so i was getting pretty disheartened. Last year a friend of mine showed me a pen spinning technique that didn't look quite as tricky as the others I had tried. Working in an office I had a good 4 hours of practice time per day. I pretty much mastered it in two days and it's changed my whole time-killing habits at work. I now spin with confidence and I think it has helped my work production too. ;-D Also my hands are much more dextrous now than they were previously.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby j24jags » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:00 am

Snakes Gould wrote:but yea, you should probably ask for more work and you'd probably impress someone higher up.

I should have specified, this isn't like my career path. I'm a high school graduate, going to college in the fall, just here for a summer job.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Polar Bear » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:20 am

I'm a manager so I have too much to do already.

When I was in college I worked at outback steakhouse so I would spend my downtime flirting with some of the hot waitresses or flirt with some of the hot female customers. I also had this incredibly hot single milf for a boss that I would hit on. God I loved that job...too bad I actually have responsibility these days.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:28 am

i like to draw shapes in Excel and then play with the color gradients

also, there are some arcade style games you can play in Excel (i want to say Tetris, Golf, and 2 others i cant recall). i think i still have them archived in my email so if you want them PM me with your email
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk