Favorite Restaurant of all time - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Favorite Restaurant of all time

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Favorite Restaurant of all time

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:33 am

Almost forgot, if you're in Manhattan with your lady friend, the Tavern on the Green is excellent. The food and atmosphere are top notch. ;-D ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:46 am

bigh0rt wrote:Almost forgot, if you're in Manhattan with your lady friend, the Tavern on the Green is excellent. The food and atmosphere are top notch. ;-D ;-D

That's a good place as well. Other notable Manhattan restaurants:
Nobu - awesome sushi
Churrascaria Plataforma - Brazilian BBQ
Carmine's - family style Italian
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:40 am

Best restaurant I ever ate at was probably Restaurant 301 in the Carter House Inn in Eureka, California. They don't have a regular menu, but have a daily menu that changes depending on what fresh seafood and produce they have. Most of their produce is grown organically in the restaurant's own garden, and the chef picks it daily. They get daily-catch sea food and their meats are locally rasied. Depending on what time you eat, how busy they are, etc., sometimes the chef comes out and talks with you at your table for a few minutes before your meal to get an idea for what you like, then cooks something especially for you according to what you told him your preferences are. They also have an amazing wine selection. The place is quite pricey (the most I've ever paid for a meal), but you cannot beat the quality of the food and service.

Another restaurant I really liked when I lived there was Georgia Brown's in Washington, DC. Southern cuisine...probably the best soul food I've ever had.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:18 pm

Yoda wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Almost forgot, if you're in Manhattan with your lady friend, the Tavern on the Green is excellent. The food and atmosphere are top notch. ;-D ;-D

Nobu - awesome sushi

I've eaten at Carmine's (was excellent -- again, it's mostly about the atmosphere, but the food was great as well), and I'll have to check out the other two sometime.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:22 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Nobu - awesome sushi

I've eaten at Carmine's (was excellent -- again, it's mostly about the atmosphere, but the food was great as well), and I'll have to check out the other two sometime.

Churrascaria is especially awesome. Can't go wrong with all you can eat meats and steaks.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Curtis Pride » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:37 pm

Churasaccahria (or however you spell it) is great. Funny thing is that I've been to Brazil. I've been to their Brazilian steakhouses, and they stink. The food is so salty you won't believe it.

Carmines is good. The food is very good, not great, but it's a cool atmosphere. I'd go to the one on the upper west side, and not the one in Times Square if you actually want to eat.

Peter Lugers is so overrated it's not funny. I think tourists come to NYC and feel that they have to go there, and just decide it's good. The people there aren't very nice. They don't take credit cards. It's not in manhattan, and worse, the food isn't really good. I really don't like how they do their steaks with them burned to a crisp on the outside, raw on the side, and sitting in a pool of fat. Their bacon side, however is amazing. If you want that type of steak, you can get it either from Wolfgangs or Ben & Jacks, both of which are actually in Manhattan.

No, the best restaurant in NYC is Striphouse. By far the best steak in the city (including Lugers which probably isn't top 3 in my mind). It's expensive, but unbelievable. No steak anywhere tops their NY Strip. I don't know what they put in their rub, but it is indescribably great.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:09 pm

My favorite is probably this local steakhouse/winery here in Omaha called Brother Sebastian's. Very awesome decor, low key, waiters dressed like monks, dimly lit, very cool. And really good food.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:15 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:Churasaccahria (or however you spell it) is great. Funny thing is that I've been to Brazil. I've been to their Brazilian steakhouses, and they stink. The food is so salty you won't believe it.

Carmines is good. The food is very good, not great, but it's a cool atmosphere. I'd go to the one on the upper west side, and not the one in Times Square if you actually want to eat.

Peter Lugers is so overrated it's not funny. I think tourists come to NYC and feel that they have to go there, and just decide it's good. The people there aren't very nice. They don't take credit cards. It's not in manhattan, and worse, the food isn't really good. I really don't like how they do their steaks with them burned to a crisp on the outside, raw on the side, and sitting in a pool of fat. Their bacon side, however is amazing. If you want that type of steak, you can get it either from Wolfgangs or Ben & Jacks, both of which are actually in Manhattan.

No, the best restaurant in NYC is Striphouse. By far the best steak in the city (including Lugers which probably isn't top 3 in my mind). It's expensive, but unbelievable. No steak anywhere tops their NY Strip. I don't know what they put in their rub, but it is indescribably great.

I respectfully disagree on Peter Luger's. It is by far the best steakhouse I've ever been to. I care about food and I know what to expect in terms of service, atmosphere or anything else. Bacon is awesome as well as their shrimp cocktail. I know a lot of people who didn't have a great experience there however so you are not alone.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:18 pm

I personally can't wait for Gordon Ramsay's new restaurant to open in West Hollywood (can't say I've done the Hell's Kitchen one). I had gone to his flagship restaurant in London called Gordon Ramsay at Claridges and it was sensational. I haven't done too much fine dining in London which is a shame, but for a very pricey tourist trap, I'm glad to say I had gone there. If you love contemporary French cuisine, this is a fine place for it. I'll need to sit down and think about the other restaurants I stumbled upon in my travels.

Oh, and if you find yourself in Barcelona and love seafood (we have plenty of it there), go to El Pescadores. ;-D

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:20 pm

Yoda wrote:That's a good place as well. Other notable Manhattan restaurants:
Nobu - awesome sushi

Been to the one in Vegas and one in London. Quite good, even though I'm not crazy about sushi.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk