Cal Ripken’s 2,632 conseuctive-games played streak
6%
Johnny Vander Meer’s two consecutive no-hitters
3%

Total votes : 145

Re: Unbreakable Records

Postby Phatferd » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:22 pm

mclusky wrote:
Phatferd wrote:This is hard. There are more than two out of that list that I think cannot be touched. I went with Complete Games and Cal Ripken. I just don't think that players are going to play for 18 seasons without having a day off or not getting injured. Managers are so afraid of losing their jobs they give their star players a day off here and there. Plus they are making tens of millions of dollars a year and they can't afford to go down to injury.

What's funny is that this is exactly the same argument that people used to make when arguing that Lou Gehrig's record was unbreakable, except put "millions" in place of "tens of millions."

I understand what you're saying, but Ripken shattered his record. He played about 5 more seasons worth of games than Gehrig. Things happen to people over the course of 18 years. Look it happened to Gehrig himself. I just don't think we are going to see anyone else come close to it. I could be wrong, I just don't see it happening in this day and age. Ripken played baseball in a different era (just before specialization took over) and when it did he was so far into his own streak that he was an exception to the rule.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:22 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i forget, why wasnt Denny McLain's 30 Wins in 68 on there instead of Newhouser's 29? was it because Denny is such a scumbag?

It was an oversight. Not sure if it would have fared better being 30 instead of 29.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Tavish » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:27 pm

The only one on the original list that has absolutely zero chance of being broken is the CG record. Pitchers don't get 75 starts in a season even if the focus switched back to the 4-man rotation. You could almost put Cy's 511 wins there, but it is at least in the realm of possibility no matter how small. Maddux started 714 games in his career, so the players at least have an opportunity.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby beatdrum » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:14 pm

Tavish wrote:The only one on the original list that has absolutely zero chance of being broken is the CG record. Pitchers don't get 75 starts in a season even if the focus switched back to the 4-man rotation. You could almost put Cy's 511 wins there, but it is at least in the realm of possibility no matter how small. Maddux started 714 games in his career, so the players at least have an opportunity.

;-D
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:27 pm

Tavish wrote:The only one on the original list that has absolutely zero chance of being broken is the CG record. Pitchers don't get 75 starts in a season even if the focus switched back to the 4-man rotation. You could almost put Cy's 511 wins there, but it is at least in the realm of possibility no matter how small. Maddux started 714 games in his career, so the players at least have an opportunity.

I put that one at 0% also. To break it you would have to have a 20 game season for 25 years and then get 12 more wins in the 26th season. That is impossible IMO with the way relief pitchers are used, pitch counts, and 5 man rotations.

If Maddux would have won 512 of those 714 that is a 72% win percentage, that would be insane :-°
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tavish » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:30 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:

I put that one at 0% also. To break it you would have to have a 20 game season for 25 years and then get 12 more wins in the 26th season. That is impossible IMO with the way relief pitchers are used, pitch counts, and 5 man rotations.

If Maddux would have won 512 of those 714 that is a 72% win percentage, that would be insane :-°

It would definitely be insane. But possible (however minuscule) which the CG season isn't.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby tah161 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:13 pm

Most of these wont be broken, but some you didnt mention.

Ricky Henderson's single season and carrer steals

Nolan Ryan carrer SO's.
tah161
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:27 pm

tah161 wrote:Most of these wont be broken, but some you didnt mention.

Nolan Ryan carrer SO's.

Not in the poll, but they were mentioned. ;-)

Omaha Red Sox wrote:A few other records that we might never see broken:

Nolan Ryan's 5,714 strikeouts.
Rickey Henderson's 130 stolen bases in a season.
Orel Hershiser's 59 consecutive scoreless innings.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J35J » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:29 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
tah161 wrote:Most of these wont be broken, but some you didnt mention.

Nolan Ryan carrer SO's.

Not in the poll, but they were mentioned. ;-)

Omaha Red Sox wrote:A few other records that we might never see broken:

Nolan Ryan's 5,714 strikeouts.
Rickey Henderson's 130 stolen bases in a season.
Orel Hershiser's 59 consecutive scoreless innings.

How about Ripkens games played streak...I can't believe that wasn't mentioned! 8-o
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:36 pm

3 pages and no mention of Cy Young's W record? Also 3 HR games will never happen.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers