Morrow = Joba - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Morrow = Joba

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Morrow = Joba

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:11 pm

This kid is absolutely filthy. He was hitting 97-99 at the game last night with nearly perfect command. He also has a slider combo that is very reminiscent of Joba in relief. I'd love to see him in the rotation soon.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Morrow = Joba

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:22 pm

What about these injury problems he's had?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:26 pm

Shoulder could be problematic he hasn't been completely shut down yet. Joba's had some injury concerns as well.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Old_Style » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:30 pm

The back spasms seem like a problem that could flare up every now and than too.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Field » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:46 pm

He seems destined to be a reliever. Morrow = Papelbon might be more appropriate. Morrow has better pure stuff which is scary. I picked him up in all leagues the second Putz went down, which should prove to be quite lucrative for me. I've been following Morrow for quite some time now. I really enjoy keeping tabs on potentially dominant and relatively unknown relievers (Valverde and Soriano in years past).
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:53 pm

Field wrote:He seems destined to be a reliever. Morrow = Papelbon might be more appropriate. Morrow has better pure stuff which is scary. I picked him up in all leagues the second Putz went down, which should prove to be quite lucrative for me. I've been following Morrow for quite some time now. I really enjoy keeping tabs on potentially dominant and relatively unknown relievers (Valverde and Soriano in years past).

I don't know. I still think Papelbon could be at least a decent starter and would love to see him in that role.

Morrow does have a splitter so he has 3 potentially dominant pitches. I think he can be a starter if they stretched him out. And a good one at that.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Field » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:00 pm

Yoda wrote:
Field wrote:He seems destined to be a reliever. Morrow = Papelbon might be more appropriate. Morrow has better pure stuff which is scary. I picked him up in all leagues the second Putz went down, which should prove to be quite lucrative for me. I've been following Morrow for quite some time now. I really enjoy keeping tabs on potentially dominant and relatively unknown relievers (Valverde and Soriano in years past).

I don't know. I still think Papelbon could be at least a decent starter and would love to see him in that role.

Morrow does have a splitter so he has 3 potentially dominant pitches. I think he can be a starter if they stretched him out. And a good one at that.

I have no doubt that Papelbon and Morrow could be above-average and potentially dominant starters, but like you've said in other posts - health is a skill. And I think that stretching those two out would exponentially decrease their ability to stay healthy. Both Papelbon and Morrow have lingering shoulder concerns. It was probably a large part of the reason Papelbon was so eager to get his big contract last off-season.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby freeling_prideful » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:45 pm

Morrow will at least by tried out in the starting rotation. It's really valuable to have a top-notch closer, but only if you have a winning ballclub...

Having a lights-out reliever doesn't really matter if your team's going to win 75, so you might as well give him a whirl to see if he can give you 6-7 innings instead of 1.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Element » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:46 pm

Morrow is nasty, but he needs to develop a quality 3rd offering if he is going to have a great deal of longterm success as starter. Otherwise, he could turn into more of a Jeromy Bonderman type instead. Worst case though, it's good enough to be a dominant reliever.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 767)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:14 am

He doesn't really have a breaking ball though. Sure throwing 99 mph is great, but you need more than that to be a successful starter. I think he could be an epicly successful closer though.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers