Anyone believe Brett Myers can turn things around? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone believe Brett Myers can turn things around?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone believe Brett Myers can turn things around?

Postby shoelessjoetara » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:00 am

He has been awful so far this season but has great K potential I would just hate to drop him. There still is a half a season left anyone thinks he turns things around?
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone believe Brett Myers can turn things around?

Postby NZ Eff » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:10 am

shoelessjoetara wrote:He has been awful so far this season but has great K potential I would just hate to drop him. There still is a half a season left anyone thinks he turns things around?

Well he couldn't get much worse so yes I do expect some improvement but borderline 5th starter is about where I see him for the remainder of the season.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:19 am

All the talent in the world with a brain of a bird. Serviceable but don't expect an ace.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby shoelessjoetara » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:26 am

I am not expecting an ace like pitcher but hoping he can become serviceable.If the Phillies want to make a run in the second half, they will need Myers to produce much better.
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:34 am

i cant believe you still have him. i cut my ties long ago, and no one has even picked him up for a spot start. i do expect better, only because it cant get worse.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NorthSider2 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:09 am

Ever since that one incident (it was some personal thing with his wife maybe?) couple years he just hasn't been the same. I dont if he can now cause he has been pitching awful
Thanks to soty for the sweet sig

Go Cubs
NorthSider2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:06 am

Man, it seems that jerking him to and from the bullpen really screwed him up. I really wonder whether the guy will be an effective pitcher again. It seems like the Phillies really need to sit down and talk with him, but I wonder if that would help him at all given his violent temper....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:49 pm

NorthSider2 wrote:Ever since that one incident (it was some personal thing with his wife maybe?) couple years he just hasn't been the same. I dont if he can now cause he has been pitching awful

he was pretty effective as the closer last year.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:41 am

Good chance Myers is headed back to the bullpen to pitch in "middle relief" (I think he'll quickly become the 8th-inning guy...) gordon sucks(his whip is in the 1.6 range), and romero is way too wild(he allows too many baserunners). The Phillies could really use someone like him to hold down the 8th. Only problem is, Happ kinda sucks too, so I don't know what they'd do. I guess Durbin could be okay as a fifth starter... Anyways, Myers is probably better off as a reliever anyways for a few reasons...

He has the nasty two pitch-combo with the fastball and curve. He also would rather relieve than start, and he has a better "mental attitude" for relieving than starting i think (fragile temper, in the bullepn, the outings are so short that he'll be gone from the game by the time he loses his temper....)

Here's a link saying that there's a good chance Myers gets moved back to the pen....

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Danimal » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:11 am

If that's the case, doesn't that mean the door for Carlos Carrasco is likely to open sooner rather than later? Hope so.... The specutlation I read last night is that Durbin fills the hole, but I'm hoping they give Carrasco a shot.

:-)
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers