Barry Zito - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barry Zito

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Barry Zito

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:39 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:Yes, the contract was ridiculous. I was just objecting to the idea that Zito was mailing it in because of his big payday.

Agreed. I doubt any professional athlete would enjoy being the joke of the town.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:40 pm

Yoda wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:Yes, the contract was ridiculous. I was just objecting to the idea that Zito was mailing it in because of his big payday.

Agreed. I doubt any professional athlete would enjoy being the joke of the town.

Carl Pavano raises you +1.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:42 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Carl Pavano raises you +1.

touche
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:55 pm

He was never all that good in Oakland, atleast not deserving of the praise he got. Now hes just awful, his fastball has no velocity and I really do feel bad for him even with that contract of his.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JasonSeahorn » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:02 pm

:-D :-b

I don't think Zito decided "I got paid now, so I will suck it up", more like "I got paid now, I don't have to give it my 1000000% all out performance that I can give." I mean, a lot of players will try their hardest the year before they can get a new contract...Zito doesn't look like he was a beast before in Oakland, but I think the general idea that a player will fall off a bit after they get their big contract can be applied. Zito just took it to a new level :-D
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:05 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote::-D :-b

I don't think Zito decided "I got paid now, so I will suck it up", more like "I got paid now, I don't have to give it my 1000000% all out performance that I can give." I mean, a lot of players will try their hardest the year before they can get a new contract...Zito doesn't look like he was a beast before in Oakland, but I think the general idea that a player will fall off a bit after they get their big contract can be applied. Zito just took it to a new level :-D

These guys are professional athletes. They are extremely competitive to the point that you nor I can possibly fathom. I doubt they can just turn their competitive switch on and off like you say.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JasonSeahorn » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:09 pm

Yoda wrote:
These guys are professional athletes. They are extremely competitive to the point that you nor I can possibly fathom. I doubt they can just turn their competitive switch on and off like you say.

There are players that perform better in a contract-year situation than in the following years. Zito is a crazy example, but I'm just saying.
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:13 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:
Yoda wrote:

There are players that perform better in a contract-year situation than in the following years. Zito is a crazy example, but I'm just saying.

I think the whole contract year is blown out of proportion, now that you got paid are you really gonna go out there not caring how you do? Maybe a handful of players are like that, but It's defiantly the minority if at all.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:21 pm

curious_george_43545 wrote:
JasonSeahorn wrote:
Yoda wrote:

I think the whole contract year is blown out of proportion, now that you got paid are you really gonna go out there not caring how you do? Maybe a handful of players are like that, but It's defiantly the minority if at all.

The whole contract-year theory is a complete myth. For every Adrian Beltre there is an Andruw Jones.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:22 pm

Yoda wrote:
JasonSeahorn wrote::-D :-b

I totally agree.

It is like Baldelli for the Rays and Sims for the Bucs. People in Tampa call up saying they are stealing from the organization because they take the money even thought they are hurt. They act like players are ok with taking money and either not playing or playing terribly. They want to play.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 36)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers