Barry Zito - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barry Zito

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Barry Zito

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:39 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:Yes, the contract was ridiculous. I was just objecting to the idea that Zito was mailing it in because of his big payday.


Agreed. I doubt any professional athlete would enjoy being the joke of the town.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Barry Zito

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:40 pm

Yoda wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:Yes, the contract was ridiculous. I was just objecting to the idea that Zito was mailing it in because of his big payday.


Agreed. I doubt any professional athlete would enjoy being the joke of the town.


Carl Pavano raises you +1.
Image
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5089
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Barry Zito

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:42 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:Yes, the contract was ridiculous. I was just objecting to the idea that Zito was mailing it in because of his big payday.


Agreed. I doubt any professional athlete would enjoy being the joke of the town.


Carl Pavano raises you +1.


touche
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Barry Zito

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:55 pm

He was never all that good in Oakland, atleast not deserving of the praise he got. Now hes just awful, his fastball has no velocity and I really do feel bad for him even with that contract of his.
Image
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5200
Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ohio

Re: Barry Zito

Postby JasonSeahorn » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:02 pm

:-D :-b

I don't think Zito decided "I got paid now, so I will suck it up", more like "I got paid now, I don't have to give it my 1000000% all out performance that I can give." I mean, a lot of players will try their hardest the year before they can get a new contract...Zito doesn't look like he was a beast before in Oakland, but I think the general idea that a player will fall off a bit after they get their big contract can be applied. Zito just took it to a new level :-D
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 197
Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Barry Zito

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:05 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote::-D :-b

I don't think Zito decided "I got paid now, so I will suck it up", more like "I got paid now, I don't have to give it my 1000000% all out performance that I can give." I mean, a lot of players will try their hardest the year before they can get a new contract...Zito doesn't look like he was a beast before in Oakland, but I think the general idea that a player will fall off a bit after they get their big contract can be applied. Zito just took it to a new level :-D


These guys are professional athletes. They are extremely competitive to the point that you nor I can possibly fathom. I doubt they can just turn their competitive switch on and off like you say.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Barry Zito

Postby JasonSeahorn » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:09 pm

Yoda wrote:
These guys are professional athletes. They are extremely competitive to the point that you nor I can possibly fathom. I doubt they can just turn their competitive switch on and off like you say.


There are players that perform better in a contract-year situation than in the following years. Zito is a crazy example, but I'm just saying.
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 197
Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Barry Zito

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:13 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:
Yoda wrote:
These guys are professional athletes. They are extremely competitive to the point that you nor I can possibly fathom. I doubt they can just turn their competitive switch on and off like you say.


There are players that perform better in a contract-year situation than in the following years. Zito is a crazy example, but I'm just saying.


I think the whole contract year is blown out of proportion, now that you got paid are you really gonna go out there not caring how you do? Maybe a handful of players are like that, but It's defiantly the minority if at all.
Image
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5200
Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ohio

Re: Barry Zito

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:21 pm

curious_george_43545 wrote:
JasonSeahorn wrote:
Yoda wrote:
These guys are professional athletes. They are extremely competitive to the point that you nor I can possibly fathom. I doubt they can just turn their competitive switch on and off like you say.


There are players that perform better in a contract-year situation than in the following years. Zito is a crazy example, but I'm just saying.


I think the whole contract year is blown out of proportion, now that you got paid are you really gonna go out there not caring how you do? Maybe a handful of players are like that, but It's defiantly the minority if at all.


The whole contract-year theory is a complete myth. For every Adrian Beltre there is an Andruw Jones.
Image
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5089
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Barry Zito

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:22 pm

Yoda wrote:
JasonSeahorn wrote::-D :-b

I don't think Zito decided "I got paid now, so I will suck it up", more like "I got paid now, I don't have to give it my 1000000% all out performance that I can give." I mean, a lot of players will try their hardest the year before they can get a new contract...Zito doesn't look like he was a beast before in Oakland, but I think the general idea that a player will fall off a bit after they get their big contract can be applied. Zito just took it to a new level :-D


These guys are professional athletes. They are extremely competitive to the point that you nor I can possibly fathom. I doubt they can just turn their competitive switch on and off like you say.


I totally agree.

It is like Baldelli for the Rays and Sims for the Bucs. People in Tampa call up saying they are stealing from the organization because they take the money even thought they are hurt. They act like players are ok with taking money and either not playing or playing terribly. They want to play.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 36)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Jul. 31
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi White Sox at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(3:40 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact