Greatest Rap group of all time? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Greatest Rap group of all time?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Greatest Rap group of all time?

Postby phillyphan12 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:14 am

I created the widely popular thread about greatest rock band so im gonna see if i can make a sequel: which group do u think is the best Rap has ever had to offer?

Remember, i said "group", and i did that to prevent every other answer from being "tupac" and "biggie"...they arent eligible. Im talking Run DMC, Public Enemy, WuTang Clan, NWA, Beastie Boys( i think we could classify them as Rap)...any of these and any more rap "groups" that u can think of are all available for vote.

Im not sure this can be as successful as my Rock Group thread as i and im sure many of you are more into rock music( although im a big fan of rap as well- at least old school rap)but lets face it, sequels are never as good anyway.
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Greatest Rap group of all time?

Postby phillyphan12 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:20 am

im gonna start by going with my boys Run DMC. I mean they paved the way pretty much in this genre and they have created some of my all time favorite songs such as " king of rock", "rockbox", and " walk this way"(Im a huge Aerosmith fan too so that might help)...When they hit the scene rap was nothing more than a little baby and they brought attention to it with their incredible lyrics and awesome beats and just looked damn good doing it. ;-)
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:48 am

The answer, obviously, is A Tribe Called Quest.

Honorable mentions go to (in no particular order) De La, EPMD, Outkast, The Roots, The Pharcyde (before Fatlip left), the guys you mentioned, and Geto Boys.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigken117 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:01 am

Yeah I'm surprised Tribe wasn't mentioned in the original post, they were the first group that popped into my head. Outkast of course. And Wu-Tang.

Does Black Star count? I think so...

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Postby J35J » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:27 am

I kinda like Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:38 am

bigken117 wrote:Does Black Star count? I think so...

I'd be more apt to put Black Star in a list of best albums, but I don't think their catalogue includes enough work to really be considered among the all-time great groups. Just one album, then a few songs on mix-tapes and stuff here and there isn't enough. I'd love to see another Black Star album though, assuming that Mos Def actually got back to the style he brought on that and Black on Both Sides and got away from his atrocious Black Jack Johnson crap. It seems like all he's done since Black on Both Sides is release a series of hums and some horrible rock/rap combo crap.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:51 am

Hieroglyphics has to be at the top, of course they're more of a collaboration than a group anymore but you do get some Del tha Funkee Homosapien with Hieroglyphics. That '93 till infinity album was/off the hook, I still listen to it on occasion. ;-D

I'd probably go with Tribe or Roots myself. Another that is up there that hasn't been mentioned is Jurassic 5.

And another honorable mention for Outkast and classic Pharcyde and I also really like Goodie Mob.

I myself have always thought Wu-Tang was a bit overrated. :-?
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:59 am

Heiro has always been a label/crew. I think you're thinking of the Souls of Mischief. And while I wouldn't put them in the top tier of groups all time, 93 'til Infinity is a great album, and the song by the same title is on the very short list of my all-time favorite songs.

I almost mentioned Goodie MOB, but I think they go on the second tier, just below some of the other groups that have been mentioned. Cee Lo is another that I'd like to see get back to rapping. When he's on, he's as good as anyone.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby beatdrum » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:05 am

It's hard for me to pick between Public Enemy and A Tribe Called Quest as the greatest.

I guess PE would be my pick. I consider Tribe to be one of the greatest rap groups, but PE is considered one of the greatest groups in music history.

I really like Outkast too.
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Metroid » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:13 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Heiro has always been a label/crew. I think you're thinking of the Souls of Mischief. And while I wouldn't put them in the top tier of groups all time, 93 'til Infinity is a great album, and the song by the same title is on the very short list of my all-time favorite songs.

I almost mentioned Goodie MOB, but I think they go on the second tier, just below some of the other groups that have been mentioned. Cee Lo is another that I'd like to see get back to rapping. When he's on, he's as good as anyone.

Yeah Souls is what I meant...duh. :-B For some reason whenever I think of that album the first thing that pops into my head is Heiro. I totally agree on the 93 till infinity song...now it's in my head....

Dial the seven digits
Call up bridget
Her mans a midget
Plus she got friends, yo, I can dig it
Heres a fourty, swig it
Ya know its frigid
I got em chillin in the cooler
Break out the ruler
Dayum!

:-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero