NBA Draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

NBA Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: NBA Draft

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:54 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:And where did I ever underestimate a player based off his nationality when it came to the NBA draft? I guess I was just because of my prejudice against Italy or anything Italian for that matter, isn't it? ;-7

Well you post something saying the Knicks made the worst pick in the draft, and then back it up by showing me a post that is basically a denunciation of European basketball players. Kind of odd for somebody that supposedly doesn't have a prejudice towards them.

To clarify things, I wasn't basing my opinion off his nationality, but thought Bayless or Brook Lopez should've been the pick there and that's really an opinion more than anything. Hindsight is 20/20 in a few years' time on which pick panned out better.

Well that's fine. I still don't really get why that makes Gallinari the worst pick in the draft right at this moment, but okay. Quite a few other teams passed on both of those guys.

Oh, sorry, was I supposed to put a tongue in cheek there also to ensure that my post should be received in jest?

Give me a break. It was your attempt to condescendingly correct me over something that was completely irrelevant to what we were talking about. If It was supposed to be in jest, you would have went about it a totally different way. I'm glad you got to show us your knowledge of autonomous communities in Spain, though.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: NBA Draft

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:24 pm

mweir145 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:And where did I ever underestimate a player based off his nationality when it came to the NBA draft? I guess I was just because of my prejudice against Italy or anything Italian for that matter, isn't it? ;-7

Well you post something saying the Knicks made the worst pick in the draft, and then back it up by showing me a post that is basically a denunciation of European basketball players. Kind of odd for somebody that supposedly doesn't have a prejudice towards them.


For the record, after I said "the Knicks made the worst pick in the draft", you then questioned "why? because he's European?" as if it was first instinct to think I was denouncing the qualities of European basketball players. I told you that's not the reason why and pointed at GP's post. Sometimes I get clumsy not to edit things or boldface the point I'd want to, it happens. It's a misunderstanding and I'll leave it at that.

mweir145 wrote:Give me a break. It was your attempt to condescendingly correct me over something that was completely irrelevant to what we were talking about. If It was supposed to be in jest, you would have went about it a totally different way. I'm glad you got to show us your knowledge of autonomous communities in Spain, though.


Sincerely I didn't mean any harm in saying that. Again, a misunderstanding, but if you want to bark about it forever and day, you can.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21943
(Past Year: 677)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: NBA Draft

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:29 pm

Just to clear up any misunderstanding that may have arisen in this thread, I want it known that the psychiatric care in Toronto is top notch. Current evidence nothwithstanding, our public health care in the area of mental illnesses is first rate.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: NBA Draft

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:45 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:For the record, after I said "the Knicks made the worst pick in the draft", you then questioned "why? because he's European?" as if it was first instinct to think I was denouncing the qualities of European basketball players.

For most people (even Grounded Polo, in the post you cited), their main problem with the pick is the fact that he's European. You did give a logical reason after showing me that, but I still don't get how not drafting Bayless and Lopez (two guys that other teams passed on as well) makes it the worst pick in the draft. From every mock draft I'd seen and everything I'd read about Gallinari, it was certainly no reach to take him where they did.

Sincerely I didn't mean any harm in saying that. Again, a misunderstanding, but if you want to bark about it forever and day, you can.

Well if you say so.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: NBA Draft

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:47 pm

Beasley will be a bust. Cannot play defense.


And Pau is soft. Perk was pushing him around all series long. Very gifted and talented but also not the typical inside player.
Image
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: NBA Draft

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:49 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Just to clear up any misunderstanding that may have arisen in this thread, I want it known that the psychiatric care in Toronto is top notch. Current evidence nothwithstanding, our public health care in the area of mental illnesses is first rate.

Always a good thing to keep in mind for the future... when you get older Mookie of course. O:-)
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: NBA Draft

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:50 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Beasley will be a bust. Cannot play defense.

He's too talented an offensive player to be an absolute bust.

And Pau is soft. Perk was pushing him around all series long. Very gifted and talented but also not the typical inside player.

I was very disappointed with Gasol that entire series.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: NBA Draft

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:08 pm

mweir145 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Beasley will be a bust. Cannot play defense.

He's too talented an offensive player to be an absolute bust.

And Pau is soft. Perk was pushing him around all series long. Very gifted and talented but also not the typical inside player.

I was very disappointed with Gasol that entire series.


And while I do say that, a lot of international players have had tremendous success in the NBA. Dirk was one win away from the championship. Manu and Parker have teamed up for a great backcourt. Yao, when healthy, has to be one of the better centers in the league. These players do tend to be more finesse than physical though. But some have turned out to be special talents. Just dont expect them to be banging bodies with Dwight Howard anytime soon.

I cant blame Pau too much for his performance. The constant worry that Bryant will be in your face after every mistake had to be affecting him. Some may say that is a mental weakness but I think over the years it has become apparent Bryant is a horrific teammate.

Couple of more thoughts about last night:

-Did anyone feel bad for Arthur last night? The guy supposedly has a kidney issue that Kansas rebutes. He then sits in the green room well past the expected time. He will def. have a chip on his shoulder and I think he will excel. Great pickup by Memphis.

-I am suprised GM's continue to rely on workouts rather than a college resume. Of course CDR will not fair well in a workout. Too many times GM's are shocked by someones freakish ability and forget that basketball is a team game.

-Mayo will be the best player in the draft when we look back 7-10 yrs from now (followed by Rose).

-The Heat picked up a steal with Chalmers. One of the better PG's in the draft.

-The 2007-2008 NBA CHAMPION BOSTON CELTICS had a nice draft. Hopefully Walker can overcome his injury history and Giddens can become the next Posey and overcome his character issues.
Image
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: NBA Draft

Postby Old_Style » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:28 pm

Going back to the Italian the Knicks drafted. I think most people are afraid of their team drafting a European with a high first round pick because of the Nikoloz Tskitishvili factor. He could be awesome somewhere else, or have all the potential in the world, but could be a dud in the Association.
Image
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6885
Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at the last neighborhood corner tavern

Re: NBA Draft

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:37 pm

mweir145 wrote:Okay, so European guards are alright, but forwards are not?


Why would I have been referencing guards at all if I was discussing soft euros with no inside game? Inside game should be a given that I'm referring to big men, not point guards.

But yes, European guards are fine because they don't need to worry about playing inside so they're all set.

That argument is kind of flawed when Dirk Nowitzki has been one of the most consistent and best players of this decade, has been an MVP, and has led his team to the NBA Finals (which they probably would have won if it wasn't for poor refereeing). In fact, Dirk is probably the definition of a franchise player.


The definition of a franchise player? Did you not watch the 2007 playoff series against Golden State? The definition of a franchise player is a guy who dominates when the games matter most and leads his teams to championships, not the NBA finals. Shaquille O'Neal and Tim Duncan have been the best players of this decade and not surprisingly, they're big men who are dominant post players.

And there were no franchise players available after the 3rd pick this year (and I may be giving Mayo the benefit of the doubt). It was a fairly weak draft, and Gallinari projected in the top 10 based on what he had done with the Euro League. He's not going to be a franchise player at that pick (and if they were expecting that, they are just way off), but I'd be surprised if he wasn't a good player for them.


I'd rather try gambling on Bayless and hope he develops into a nice PG than Danilo. He's going to get eaten alive because Donnie wants him to play PF.

A poor draft history doesn't mean they made a mistake here.


Everything involving the Knicks revolves around poor except for their player's bank accounts.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6584
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Sep. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
Washington at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
NY Mets at Atlanta
(1:35 pm)
Boston at Baltimore
(1:35 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(1:35 pm)
Chi White Sox at Tampa Bay
(1:40 pm)
indoors
Cleveland at Minnesota
(2:10 pm)
Detroit at Kansas City
(2:10 pm)
Seattle at Houston
(2:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Texas at LA Angels
(3:35 pm)
Philadelphia at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(8:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact