Papelbon/Wood for Torres/Crawford a vetoable trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Papelbon/Wood for Torres/Crawford a vetoable trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Papelbon/Wood for Torres/Crawford a vetoable trade?

Postby DVauthrin » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:42 am

master_herm wrote:Maybe I failed to include some pertinent information:

The league is a 8X8 league, with hitting cats of: H, R, RBI, HR, TB, OPS, AVG, and SB. Pitching cats are: W, CG, K, K/9, SV, ERA, WHIP, and Qs. The reason why people are questioning whether it's an acceptable trade is that closers under this system are very insignificant compared to Crawford's value. Do you still think this is not a vetoable trade?

the extra categories definitely slant the league towards SP and bats.. l was working on the premise of a standard 5 x5 league when posting my comments.

I'd say that in light of this new info, that it would depend on what elite closers have been dealt for in the past in your league. But i'm still leaning towards it should stand. Yes in this system elite hitters have more value than either closer, but right now crawford is only giving you runs, avg, rbi's, steals and hits. He has a sub .800 OPS, and 8 homers and is tied for 73rd in all of baseball in total bases. Last year he was tied for 56th in total bases, had only 80 rbi, and was ranked 69th out of hitters with an .821 OPS. The year before he was 67th in OPS with an .830 OPS, but did finish 41st in total bases(but thats not that great, either). Point is, he is very limited in the power cats.

If this was a hitter who contributed in more areas it would be different, but the OPS and TB cat's devalue crawford's value as well.

With k/9 added, wood and papelbon contribute in 5 categories and have separation from other elite closers.
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:34 am

master_herm wrote:Maybe I failed to include some pertinent information:

The league is a 8X8 league, with hitting cats of: H, R, RBI, HR, TB, OPS, AVG, and SB. Pitching cats are: W, CG, K, K/9, SV, ERA, WHIP, and Qs. The reason why people are questioning whether it's an acceptable trade is that closers under this system are very insignificant compared to Crawford's value. Do you still think this is not a vetoable trade?

Do you think the guy dealing Crawford thinks he's making his team better? Do you think he wants to make the deal? The rest is noise.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:14 pm

If anything this makes the deal make more sense, as your scoring cats serve to slightly devalue CC.

Put it this way, at best Crawford might help with 1 point in 5-6 categories. Adding Wood and Pap should help the other team make a significant upgrade in 4 cats, which may well be more valuable in the long run.

I
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner