Papelbon/Wood for Torres/Crawford a vetoable trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Papelbon/Wood for Torres/Crawford a vetoable trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Papelbon/Wood for Torres/Crawford a vetoable trade?

Postby master_herm » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:28 pm

This trade was just accepted; H2H league cats are: H, R, RBI, TB, OPS, AVG, HR and W, CG, SV, ERA, WHIP, K/9, K. Is this an acceptable trade for the guy who gave up Crawford?
master_herm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Posts: 408
Joined: 5 May 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Papelbon/Wood for Torres/Crawford a vetoable trade?

Postby tah161 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:47 pm

I think its fair, or at least I wouldnt Veto it. He is basicly giving up saves for steals.
tah161
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 555
Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Papelbon/Wood for Torres/Crawford a vetoable trade?

Postby DVauthrin » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:13 am

no, it's not veto worthy... crawford is worth more than paps, and if you think torres holds his job all year the difference in him and wood isn't that great...
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7316
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: katy, texas

Re: Papelbon/Wood for Torres/Crawford a vetoable trade?

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:48 pm

DVauthrin wrote:...if you think torres holds his job all year the difference in him and wood isn't that great...


You know Wood is currently ranked higher than Papelbon, right? He's pacing for over 40 SV and 100K. I'd say the difference between Torres and Wood is what makes this trade pretty even...
Image
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4014
Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Re: Papelbon/Wood for Torres/Crawford a vetoable trade?

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:45 pm

I've got no issue with this deal.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 4569
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 14 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Papelbon/Wood for Torres/Crawford a vetoable trade?

Postby Yanks_Baby » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:54 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:...if you think torres holds his job all year the difference in him and wood isn't that great...


You know Wood is currently ranked higher than Papelbon, right? He's pacing for over 40 SV and 100K. I'd say the difference between Torres and Wood is what makes this trade pretty even...

Trading Ted Lilly for Wood when Wood he had a 4 ERA= :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Image
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 1704
Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Papelbon/Wood for Torres/Crawford a vetoable trade?

Postby DVauthrin » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:13 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:...if you think torres holds his job all year the difference in him and wood isn't that great...


You know Wood is currently ranked higher than Papelbon, right? He's pacing for over 40 SV and 100K. I'd say the difference between Torres and Wood is what makes this trade pretty even...


I don't agree. Papelbon is the best closer in fantasy baseball because of his track record(this is his 3rd year in a row of dominance). Kerry Wood is good, but i'm not taking him before k-rod or papelbon or nathan if I want a closer.

sort of like how certain pitchers might be ahead of johan santana right now.. I'm not taking them above him the rest of the way.
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7316
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: katy, texas

Re: Papelbon/Wood for Torres/Crawford a vetoable trade?

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:30 pm

DVauthrin wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:...if you think torres holds his job all year the difference in him and wood isn't that great...


You know Wood is currently ranked higher than Papelbon, right? He's pacing for over 40 SV and 100K. I'd say the difference between Torres and Wood is what makes this trade pretty even...


I don't agree. Papelbon is the best closer in fantasy baseball because of his track record(this is his 3rd year in a row of dominance). Kerry Wood is good, but i'm not taking him before k-rod or papelbon or nathan if I want a closer.

sort of like how certain pitchers might be ahead of johan santana right now.. I'm not taking them above him the rest of the way.


Um, what don't you agree with, that Wood (ranked 30 in Yahoo 5x5) is currently ranked higher than Papelbon (ranked 32), or that Wood is way better than Torres? Either way, you're wrong...

Also, when did I ever recommend taking Wood over Papelbon? :-S
Image
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4014
Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Re: Papelbon/Wood for Torres/Crawford a vetoable trade?

Postby DVauthrin » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:09 am

Um, what don't you agree with, that Wood (ranked 30 in Yahoo 5x5) is currently ranked higher than Papelbon (ranked 32), or that Wood is way better than Torres? Either way, you're wrong...

Also, when did I ever recommend taking Wood over Papelbon? :-S


I apologize, you did never say you would take papelbon over wood, and I concede the point on wood's ranking this year.. I interpreted it as if you were suggesting wood was better in your mind as well, my fault.

However, and this is the point I was going for all along on wood/torres: if you knew milwaukee was going to get out of torres's way and just let him close the rest of the year, the only major difference between the two is the strikeouts. It's a gap sure, but a strikeout gap in two guys who will pitch less than 100 innings is not that big of a deal. If it was between two starters who each throw 200 innings a year, then it's very significant. And I was suggesting if someone feels torres will hold a closer role the rest of the year it made the trade fair, because wood and paps together carry more value than crawford, especially with the way the 3 have performed.

Lastly, I was going on the premise that the league was considering the veto because they don't trust torres, and crawford has been underperforming. Papelbon and Wood have been great so far on the other hand and I figured this league would look at rankings/numbers and feel like the person getting both closers was ripping the other guy off. You could have made a reasonable case either closer is worth crawford straight up right now. 4 cat closer for a 3 cat hitter, who had been dealing with an injury and was slumping prior to a week or two ago.
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7316
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: katy, texas

Re: Papelbon/Wood for Torres/Crawford a vetoable trade?

Postby master_herm » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:25 am

Maybe I failed to include some pertinent information:

The league is a 8X8 league, with hitting cats of: H, R, RBI, HR, TB, OPS, AVG, and SB. Pitching cats are: W, CG, K, K/9, SV, ERA, WHIP, and Qs. The reason why people are questioning whether it's an acceptable trade is that closers under this system are very insignificant compared to Crawford's value. Do you still think this is not a vetoable trade?
master_herm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Posts: 408
Joined: 5 May 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Jul. 28
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Diego at Atlanta
(12:10 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact