Any doubt left on the best pitcher in MLB? (when healthy) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any doubt left on the best pitcher in MLB? (when healthy)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Any doubt left on the best pitcher in MLB? (when healthy)

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:28 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
Field wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:The K argument is irrelevant when discussing the best real life pitcher in MLB.

How is the K argument irrelevant? :-?

It's completely relevant to the discussion. If you let batters put the ball into play anything can happen no matter how good of a pitch it was. The only way to prevent 'bad luck' (ie bloop singles, seeing-eye singles, swinging bunts, errors, etc.) is to prevent him from making contact - i.e. a strikeout.

No, getting outs is relevant. Ground out, fly out, strike out it doesn't matter. In fantasy sure because K's are a category used in most every league but not real baseball.

K is the most important skill for a pitcher. You are seriously smoking something fierce if you think otherwise.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZ Eff » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:33 pm

Yoda wrote: K is the most important skill for a pitcher. You are seriously smoking something fierce if you think otherwise.

So why isn't Nolan Ryan generally regarded as the best pitcher, EVER?
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:35 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
Yoda wrote: K is the most important skill for a pitcher. You are seriously smoking something fierce if you think otherwise.

Uh because there are other skills that you measure a pitcher by. Are you seriously saying that the only way a pitcher can get an out by himself without the help of his teammates is not the most important skill? I know you have some very oddball beliefs but this one is just too hard to believe even from you.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wake » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:38 pm

Yoda wrote:K is the most important skill for a pitcher. You are seriously smoking something fierce if you think otherwise.

What difference does it make how they get the out if they consistently do get the out? Is Javier Vazquez's career better than Greg Maddux's?
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NZ Eff » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:42 pm

Yoda wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:

Uh because there are other skills that you measure a pitcher by. Are you seriously saying that the only way a pitcher can get an out by himself without the help of his teammates is not the most important skill? I know you have some very oddball beliefs but this one is just too hard to believe even from you.

I never once said it wasn't a skill. Your words. not mine.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:44 pm

NZ Eff wrote:I never once said it wasn't a skill. Your words. not mine.

You are right for once. You said K's are irrelevant.

NZ Eff wrote:The K argument is irrelevant when discussing the best real life pitcher in MLB
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:46 pm

Yoda wrote:K is the most important skill for a pitcher. You are seriously smoking something fierce if you think otherwise.

So Greg Maddux is AWFUL then, right? :-?

I don't even know where to start with this comment, because I just don't get how you could possibly think this. The K is reasonably important, but by no means is it the most important stat. The fact is, pitchers can find many different ways to get batters out and you are giving bad luck way too much credit. Even if a pitcher has TERRIBLE luck, if he's getting batters to make very weak contact, he'll still get the guy out most of the time. There's nothing wrong with throwing consistently solid pitches and having batters make weak contact, as long as batters aren't hitting the ball hard. I would regard WHIP as a far more important stat than Ks any day of the week and twice on Tuesday.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NZ Eff » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:47 pm

Yoda wrote:

NZ Eff wrote:The K argument is irrelevant when discussing the best real life pitcher in MLB

I could go back to at least 5 threads where you've admitted that I'm right for once. It's getting a bit tiresome. Face the fact that I'm all over you. Always have been and always will be. Go and play with the little boys in future and stay off my stage.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Field » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:50 pm

wake wrote:

What difference does it make how they get the out if they consistently do get the out? Is Javier Vazquez's career better than Greg Maddux's?

Like Yoda said: K is the most important skill of many. It isn't the only skill, just the most important.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:08 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
Yoda wrote:

I could go back to at least 5 threads where you've admitted that I'm right for once. It's getting a bit tiresome. Face the fact that I'm all over you. Always have been and always will be. Go and play with the little boys in future and stay off my stage.

lol you are something else :-°
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers