100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I Know Who I Am Voting For

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I Know Who I Am Voting For

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Glenn Beck

Glenn Beck on CNN.com wrote:
  • A conservative believes that our inalienable rights do not include housing, healthcare or Hummers.
  • A conservative believes that our inalienable rights DO include the pursuit of happiness. That means it is guaranteed to no one.
  • A conservative believes that those who pursue happiness and find it have a right to not be penalized for that success.
  • A conservative believes that there are no protections against the hardship and heartache of failure. We believe that the right to fail is just as important as the chance to succeed and that those who do fail learn essential lessons that will help them the next time around.
  • A conservative believes in personal responsibility and accepts the consequences for his or her words and actions.
  • A conservative believes that real compassion can't be found in any government program.
  • A conservative believes that each of us has a duty to take care of our neighbors. It was private individuals, companies and congregations that sent water, blankets and supplies to New Orleans far before the government ever set foot there.
  • A conservative believes that family is the cornerstone of our society and that people have a right to manage their family any way they see fit, so long as it's not criminal. We are far more attuned to our family's needs than some faceless, soulless government program.
  • A conservative believes that people have a right to worship the God of their understanding. We also believe that people do not have the right to jam their version of God (or no God) down anybody else's throat.
  • A conservative believes that people go to the movies to be entertained and to church to be preached to, not the other way around.
  • A conservative believes that debt creates unhealthy relationships. Everyone, from the government on down, should live within their means and strive for financial independence.
  • A conservative believes that a child's education is the responsibility of the parents, not the government.
  • A conservative believes that every human being has a right to life, from conception to death.
  • A conservative believes in the smallest government you can get without anarchy. We know our history: The larger a government gets, the harder it will fall.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: I Know Who I Am Voting For

Postby Tavish » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:27 pm

People believe in many things, it is their ability to implement those beliefs that makes a good candidate. If we are just going on beliefs then there is no way I could vote for Beck. I don't really agree with his idea that people against the war in Iraq are liberal hippie communists. I don't agree with his belief that disenfranchised Americans who supported Ron Paul are an imminent threat against America and the military should be used to silence them.
He is a gasbag at the same level as Limbaugh, Coulter, and O'Reilly.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:35 pm

There are so much to disagree with the list I won't even start. Although I can semi stand Beck and won't bring him down to the level of Bill-O yet. He's still full of himself and can't see from other's perspective what so ever.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:37 pm

Tavish wrote:People believe in many things, it is their ability to implement those beliefs that makes a good candidate. If we are just going on beliefs then there is no way I could vote for Beck. I don't really agree with his idea that people against the war in Iraq are liberal hippie communists. I don't agree with his belief that disenfranchised Americans who supported Ron Paul are an imminent threat against America and the military should be used to silence them.

Nice. I know who I'm voting for. :-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:42 pm

Tavish wrote:People believe in many things, it is their ability to implement those beliefs that makes a good candidate.

That's not true. If you vote for people who can implement their beliefs, then most of the time, you have to vote for a candidate from an established party that will pander to their system. If you want to change the established system, then you have to vote for someone based on their beliefs. Get enough people in with the same beliefs, and the established system will change, but you have to start with someone who probably won't be able to implement their beliefs.

This is irrespective of your thoughts on Beck, btw.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:16 pm

;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tavish » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:40 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Tavish wrote:People believe in many things, it is their ability to implement those beliefs that makes a good candidate.

That's not true. If you vote for people who can implement their beliefs, then most of the time, you have to vote for a candidate from an established party that will pander to their system. If you want to change the established system, then you have to vote for someone based on their beliefs. Get enough people in with the same beliefs, and the established system will change, but you have to start with someone who probably won't be able to implement their beliefs.

I think you misunderstood me or I wasn't clear here. There are tons of politicians out there whom I'm sure I hold the same beliefs as I do and these are typically the people I vote for. It is often these same politicians who vote directly against these beliefs to hold the party line or vote to pander for an upcoming elections. Simply having beliefs is fine and dandy, but if you are going to base your vote simply on that you might as well be throwing darts blindfolded. An elected representative has to do more than simply believe the same as you, they have to act in accordance with those beliefs and they have to have a plan to implement those beliefs.

StlSluggers wrote:This is irrespective of your thoughts on Beck, btw.

Yes, it was. Thanks for noticing. ;-)

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby Tavish » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:42 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Tavish wrote:People believe in many things, it is their ability to implement those beliefs that makes a good candidate. If we are just going on beliefs then there is no way I could vote for Beck. I don't really agree with his idea that people against the war in Iraq are liberal hippie communists. I don't agree with his belief that disenfranchised Americans who supported Ron Paul are an imminent threat against America and the military should be used to silence them.

Nice. I know who I'm voting for. :-D

Alanis or Celine?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:54 pm

Tavish wrote:I think you misunderstood me or I wasn't clear here. There are tons of politicians out there whom I'm sure I hold the same beliefs as I do and these are typically the people I vote for. It is often these same politicians who vote directly against these beliefs to hold the party line or vote to pander for an upcoming elections. Simply having beliefs is fine and dandy, but if you are going to base your vote simply on that you might as well be throwing darts blindfolded. An elected representative has to do more than simply believe the same as you, they have to act in accordance with those beliefs and they have to have a plan to implement those beliefs.

I read your first post as saying nothing like this, but I can see it now.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tavish » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:57 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Tavish wrote:I think you misunderstood me or I wasn't clear here. There are tons of politicians out there whom I'm sure I hold the same beliefs as I do and these are typically the people I vote for. It is often these same politicians who vote directly against these beliefs to hold the party line or vote to pander for an upcoming elections. Simply having beliefs is fine and dandy, but if you are going to base your vote simply on that you might as well be throwing darts blindfolded. An elected representative has to do more than simply believe the same as you, they have to act in accordance with those beliefs and they have to have a plan to implement those beliefs.

I read your first post as saying nothing like this, but I can see it now.

I don't blame you, I skimmed over that part in my haste to say what a douche Beck is.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to General Talk