Keeper leagues - Catchers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeper leagues - Catchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper leagues - Catchers

Postby hot4tx » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:36 am

I'm trying to get a feel for how the value of catchers has changed since the pre-season.

It seems like the last couple years there's always two or three catchers touted as 2nd - 4th rounders, but these picks consistently don't outperform other Catchers and the following year it flip-flops. A couple years ago Mauer and McCann were the hot-shots, this past year V-Mart and Russell were taken in the 2nd-4th rounds.

So far this year McCann and Soto have been the top Catchers. As of today would these two be your top-rated catchers going forward? Due to the recent up and down nature do you think either of these would be even 3rd or 4th round picks in most 2009 12-team redraft leagues (assuming they continue to be the top-performing catchers next season)?

Where do you see Russell, Mauer and V-Mart's value right now and where do you see them going in most 2009 12-team redrafts? Before round 8? Round 10?

Thanks
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 209)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper leagues - Catchers

Postby WyldStallyn » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:49 am

i think you just showed that the values of catchers varies wildly. mccann and soto will likely be drafted before round 6 next year, while martin and vmart will fall to around 9 or 10 (posada territory). this of course will vary wildly depending on the league.

what can be learned here is not taking a catcher early. a lot of managers would be better off had they taken molina or navarro late in the draft.
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:58 am

I think McCann is the only keeper worthy catcher. After a disappointing 07, his numbers are back up to where they were in 06.

For the most part, I stopped putting so much stock in C's. Unless you are in a deeper league, grabbing the 10th or 12th best C won't hurt you that much.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:06 pm

Yoda wrote:I think McCann is the only keeper worthy catcher. After a disappointing 07, his numbers are back up to where they were in 06.

For the most part, I stopped putting so much stock in C's. Unless you are in a deeper league, grabbing the 10th or 12th best C won't hurt you that much.

totally agree.

Last year I grabbed Martin late. This year I grabbed Molina late. I always wait to grab a C and it seems to work for me
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:45 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Yoda wrote:I think McCann is the only keeper worthy catcher. After a disappointing 07, his numbers are back up to where they were in 06.

totally agree.

Last year I grabbed Martin late. This year I grabbed Molina late. I always wait to grab a C and it seems to work for me

Thirded. Unless your league starts 2 catchers or an AL/NL only league I'd wait until pretty late in the draft before picking a catcher.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby hot4tx » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:51 pm

Well I do also subscribe to waiting on catchers unless there's good value (got McCann in 7th round and grabbed Soto as a back up in the 19th). However, the average draft position of catchers usually has the 2-3 top ones.

I guess I'm trying to gauge what the average value of these guys would be compared to the three that were ranked really high this past year.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 209)

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:55 pm

hot4tx wrote:Well I do also subscribe to waiting on catchers unless there's good value (got McCann in 7th round and grabbed Soto as a back up in the 19th). However, the average draft position of catchers usually has the 2-3 top ones.

I guess I'm trying to gauge what the average value of these guys would be compared to the three that were ranked really high this past year.

They are about the same as what VMart and Mauer have been in the past I think. Someone will always reach for the top C's.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:06 pm

Depends on the rest of the year but I would guess McCann would be the #1 catcher next year. Soto will in the second tier with V-Mart.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:35 pm

While, I'll add Martin as a sure keeper. Something else to remember is the offensive depth that the catcher position will be getting in the next few years.

Bal - Wieters
Bos - Kottaras
NY - Montero, Cervelli
TB - Navarro
Tor - Arencibia

CHW - Pierzynski
CLE - Martinez
DET - Skelton
KC - Olivo
MIN - Mauer

LAA - Mathis, Napoli, Conger
OAK - Suzuki
SEA - Clement, Johjima
TEX - Salty, Tegarden, Ramirez

ATL - McCann
FLA - Skipworth
NYM - Pena
PHI - Ruiz
WAS - Flores

CHC - Soto
CIN - Mesoraco
HOU - Towles, Sapp, Castro
MIL - Lawrie
PIT - Doumit
STL- Molina, Anderson

ARZ - Montero
COL - Iannetta
LAD - Martin
SD - Canham
SF - Posey

If everything turns out the way teams want, then the majors could see the most balenced set of quality-offensive catchers ever. I'm not saying that all of these guys will last at catcher or as prospects, that trades won't happen because you can see some teams of excess, or that happenings in the minors could give teams someone else but, WOW! The fact that this influx of catching depth is on the horizon lowers the need to take a catcher early.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Cooner » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:59 am

...and it was low to begin with.

nice post ;-D
Cooner
Major League Manager