This draft is insane! Find a weakness I dare you! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

This draft is insane! Find a weakness I dare you!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby I love Pizza » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:23 pm

Funny you bring up Pierre. Why not just draft Sheff in the first round and draft Pierre in the fifth? That way you have more power,more BA, more RBI, more runs, and then more steals. Personally, I don't call 23 points on a BA, 13 HR, 32 RBIs and 24 runs "a few." For the most part, those are huge numbers. You also mention Beltran in a better lineup this year, and he will be in a much better lineup, but Lofton, Jeter, A-rod, Posada, Matsui, Giambi, Bernie is also more "potent" than Giles, Fracal, Jones, Jones, Javey. So its pretty much a wash. Lets see what Beltran can do in 55 extra ABs, thats eqal about 5 extra runs (still down by 19), same BA since it is an average, about 3 HR (still down by 10), about 5 RBI (still down by 27), but would increase his lead in steals by 4 (now up by 27). He is still donw in 4 of 5 categories, but now has a huge lead in steals, which are huge, but not that huge. Some one in the league has Ichiro, Posednik, and Kaz Matsui--if steals are so huge, why isn't his team going to dominate, or the guy with Pierre, why isn't he going to dominate.
I love Pizza

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby BigBlue » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:39 pm

Thats fine, you can take Pierre in the 5th. by that time I'll be looking at Brian Giles. So you can take Shef in the first I'll take Beltran. You can take Pierre in the 5th while I take Brian Giles. W/ Giles' #'s and Beltran #'s they will surely outnumber those of Shef and Pierre. I'd rather take a 5-cat guy as compared to a dime-a-dozen outfielder. It makes no sense whatsoever to take Sheffield ahead of Beltran. Apperantly I'm not the only one on here that thinks that either. The fantasy "gurus" have him going ahead of Sheffield in every mock draft I've seen this year.

If this particular answer was helpful to you, click here.
(You can click on none or multiple replies in your thread.)
BigBlue
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby I Love Pizza » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:21 pm

I am not saying that I would take Pierre in the fifth, Giles and Beltran will outproduce Sheff and Pierre, I was using that as an example. Every one keeps telling me that Beltran is a better pick than Sheff, but that it no arguement, just statements. Why take Beltran over Sheff--steals that is the only answer I have gotten. Beltran is a 5-tool player but Sheffield is no "dime-a-dozen" outfileder. You just proved my point. If Sheff is a dime-a-dozen then Vlad would be too and there is that dozen (12) outfielders that XLo880D (or whatever) was talking about when you jumped all over his case. You (and almost everyone else here-not to single you out) are just running around in cirlces. Ya'll say steals are huge then say you would take a pair of people with a combined 45 steals ove a pair of players with a combined 83 steals. I am not saying sheff plus pierre is better than beltran plus giles--I am just showing ya'lls arguement changes every time someone posts.
I Love Pizza

Postby BigBlue » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:45 pm

I'm pretty sure mine hasn't changed. IMO Shef is a "dime-a-dozen" outfielder. How many OF's hit 30 HR's while Hitting in 100 RBI's? Exactly. Now, how many hit 30 HR's/100RBI's/40SB's/100Runs? Thats my point. That right there is why I will continue to choose Beltran if he falls to me over Sheffield.

BigBlue
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 17)

Postby jumpman8288 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:42 pm

Sheffield had the year of his life last year, putting up better numbers than ever before. Compare his three-year averages to last year, and the numbers go down, by a considerable amount.

3 year averages: 33 hr, 105 rbi, 102 runs, 13 SB, .316 BA
Last years numbers: 39 hr, 132 rbi, 126 runs, 18 SB, .330 BA

Then look at Beltran's. His 3-year average is right on par with last year, the only exception being the fact that he is consistently getting better each year.

3 year averages: 26 hr, 102 rbi, 107 runs, 36 SB, .300 BA
Last years numbers: 26 hr, 100 rbi, 102 runs, 41 SB, .307 BA

The only categories Sheffield beat Beltran in over three years by any real amount was HR and BA, and Beltrans SB more than make up for that. He is truly one of the best fantasy players in the game, getting great numbers in every single category year after year. Sheffield may be a better hitter, but Beltran is much more valuable.

[URL=http://http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7158944067217702636&q=new+born+muse]MUSE ROCK[/URL]
jumpman8288
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby I Love Pizza » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:57 am

Blue--Sorry about that, maybe yours hasn't changed but this whole arguement started with people saying Vlad was awesome and the others in this league were "idiots" for not taking him. Then someone pointed out that there would be a dozen OF with a round the same numbers as Vlad. Every one jumped on his case telling him to name them. Now you are saying that Sheff is a "dime-a-dozen" which supports the arguement that I was making earlier before we switched to the Sheff vs Beltran comparison. I should have worded it differently to not stress a single person but a group as a whole. Once again I apologized for that. As for the three year comparison guy, thanks for the comparisons, they were good. But you saying Beltran is "consistantly getting better each year" is a little off in 2001 he hit .306 then in 2002 only hit .273, not exactly what I call better. However he did improve in every other category with the 20 extra ABs so its basically a wash which is not an improvement if you ask me. Everyone (including myself) is saying Sheff had a career year in 03 but could he bust out big again in 04? He is getting about the age Bonds was when he exploded and he has the same steriod doctor, so who's to say he can't repeat or better the numbers from last year. Sorry if this post is a little disjointed its late and I am tired.
I Love Pizza

Postby jumpman8288 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:57 pm

Yeah sorry about the "improving every year." But he still did manage to put up numbers on par with previous years last season, and that was with around 100 less at bats than usual from the injury. If he got around 600 AB last season, he should have gotten around these numbers:

30 HR, 115 RBI, 117 runs, and 47 SBs.

[URL=http://http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7158944067217702636&q=new+born+muse]MUSE ROCK[/URL]
jumpman8288
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team