This draft is insane! Find a weakness I dare you! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

This draft is insane! Find a weakness I dare you!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheRawDAWG » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:50 pm

Yes, I would also like to see the 12 outfielders that will put up better numbers than Vlad. He slipped to 15th in one of my drafts and I almost shit myself. for him to slip all the way to.....28? (if I did the correct math with Beltran being a 12 pick in a 10 team league.). Thats nuts!!

If this particular answer was helpful to you, click here.
(You can click on none or multiple replies in your thread.)
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby I Love Pizza » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:57 pm

I don't think he really meant 12, it was just a number to show that Vlad is not a god, like most make him put to be. I will name a couple though, Bonds (obvious), Sheff (he's hurt-but wasn't when he posted), Sosa (i am a Cubs fan), Manny, Beltran (he's got him too), V. Wells (will come close), Mags (maybe). I think what XLo..whatever was trying to say was he and maybe others in the league (I don't know) went after other needs because there are plenty of outfielders that will put up great (or close to it) numbers but 2b and SS might be limited. As for, go CUBBIES, you never answered my question: How do you identify completely with the Cubs, are you cursed or get kicked in the head with a goat or something?
I Love Pizza

Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:22 pm

Sorry, Pizza, I identify with the social outcast kinda aspect of the cubs. They're always underdogs, and traditionally are just plain bad. Despite their consitent suckiness, they've always had this kind of charm to them. It doesn't hurt that I was a big Ryno fan. I also loved Andre Dawson. I can remember living in central illinois and spending my summer in 3rd grade watching cubs games (I'm 20 now). I still watch every WGN game that's available. I dunno how else to say it. I hope that answers the question.

Postby Go CUBBIES!!! » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:24 pm

Heh, forgot to log in. That last post WAS from me.

"HOOOLLEEEEE COOW!"
-Harry Carey
Go CUBBIES!!! Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigBlue » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:31 pm

I'm still stuck on the whole 12 OF's thing. Here's how I see the top 10 OF's:

1-Pujols
2-Vlad
3-Beltran
4-Manny
5-Sheff
6-Bonds
7-Sosa
8-Vernon
9-Maggs
10-Preston

W/ Vlads potential, it's hard to find 5 that I'd draft over him.

BigBlue
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 17)

Postby I love Pizza » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:05 pm

BigBlue-
First of all, how do you rate Beltran above Sheff (assuming he can play with the bummed thumb), Manny, and Bonds who is the best player ever according to ESPN (i disagree). I agree with your last statement because you said "potential" but he is moving to a new league, a bigger ballpark, and has a history of back problems. Getting on the grass in Anahiem might be just what the doctor ordered, but back problems do not usually just go away, they are serious and usually affect a player his whole career. I hope Vlad is different because I think he could be one of the top baseball players in history, but I am not so sure of that. I also like the fact that you put Sosa higher than Maggs since you have the whitesux icon by your name. Also what kind of league is this, i.g. head-to-head or other?
I love Pizza

Postby TheRawDAWG » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:20 pm

I love Pizza wrote:BigBlue-
First of all, how do you rate Beltran above Sheff (assuming he can play with the bummed thumb), Manny, and Bonds who is the best player ever according to ESPN (i disagree). I agree with your last statement because you said "potential" but he is moving to a new league, a bigger ballpark, and has a history of back problems. Getting on the grass in Anahiem might be just what the doctor ordered, but back problems do not usually just go away, they are serious and usually affect a player his whole career. I hope Vlad is different because I think he could be one of the top baseball players in history, but I am not so sure of that. I also like the fact that you put Sosa higher than Maggs since you have the whitesux icon by your name. Also what kind of league is this, i.g. head-to-head or other?

I'd rate Beltran ahead of Sheff, Manny, and Bonds too. With Beltran's potential for 40 40 he is the choice of OFs. I'd even have him over VLAd and put Pujols at 1st and have Beltran as the number 1 fantasy OF. He is progressing just like he should and this year he will add more power to his speed. It's the steals that put him ahead of the rest. And in 5x5 roto Bonds is overrated. He's a second rounder at best. His average is high but it doesn't affect it as much as it should because he doesn't get enough ABs. He didn't even have 100 RBIs. He doesn't steal anymore and he hits an above average amount of homers but not anything to get too excited about. And with the guys that are hitting around him this year he's going to be walked even more and be left on base. Alfonzo strikes fear in noone.

Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby I Love Pizza » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:58 am

You guys throw "potential" around like it was the name of a prositute. You can have all the potential in the world, but that doesn't win in fatansy sports. I agree that Beltran is a very good player and has the potential to be one of, if not the game's best player, but look at the stats (you know the thing that you earn fantasy points for). For example, Gary Sheffield hit 23 points higher, had 13 more homeruns, had 32 more RBIs, scored 24 more runs, but did steal 23 less bases. How could your rate Beltran better? Do you want me to post Manny's numbers too, because I can. I doesn't make sense. In a keeper league I would take Beltran over Gary in a heart beat but not a normal league. Do I think Sheff will repeat last year-no, do I think Beltran will progress-yes, but not enough to rate someone clearly lower than someone clearly superior.
I Love Pizza

Postby Arlo » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:23 am

I Love Pizza wrote:You guys throw "potential" around like it was the name of a prositute. You can have all the potential in the world, but that doesn't win in fatansy sports. I agree that Beltran is a very good player and has the potential to be one of, if not the game's best player, but look at the stats (you know the thing that you earn fantasy points for). For example, Gary Sheffield hit 23 points higher, had 13 more homeruns, had 32 more RBIs, scored 24 more runs, but did steal 23 less bases. How could your rate Beltran better? Do you want me to post Manny's numbers too, because I can. I doesn't make sense. In a keeper league I would take Beltran over Gary in a heart beat but not a normal league. Do I think Sheff will repeat last year-no, do I think Beltran will progress-yes, but not enough to rate someone clearly lower than someone clearly superior.

Posting Ramirez' numbers might be interesting. He beats Beltran in four categories out of five, but Beltran still comes out on top in 5x5. Steals are huge...

Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:36 am

I'd take the guy on the upswing in his career who will steal 40 bases to go along with his other numbers. Steals are so valuable in 5x5 leagues it's ridiculous. Pierre gets beat in every cat by almost every OF worth his wieght. Yet he still finds himself being drafted ahead of alot of players who beat him in 4 out of 5 cats. Also, the year before last Sheff hit 25 homers and only had 84 RBIs. What player are you getting? Beltran put up his numbers in 55 less ABs because he was injured the first 3 weeks of the season. Plus, Beltran is hitting in a much more potentent lineup this year. With a little protection and having guys be able to drive him in he is definately primed for a career year. So, with all that said, I would take a few less homers, a few less RBIs and a couple points off my BA for the insane amount of steals. You can make up those other numbers easily in the later rounds of the draft. Getting a guy who steals like this and hits for power is gone by the 1st round. But in all honesty I think Beltran's other number will be remarkably close to Sheff's this year and if Jaun Gone and Sweeney can stay healthy he may even surpass them. Add to that his 40 steals and you my friend have the premier OF in fantasy baseball.

PreviousNext

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team