Disaster Strikes my League.... Please Help!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Disaster Strikes my League.... Please Help!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Disaster Strikes my League.... Please Help!!!

Postby Grouperman941 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:12 am

I wanted to add -- if the manager managed in the best interest of the 'lazy' team and did not use his control of that team to make his own team better, then this may not be as bad as you are making it out to be.

The trades with himself are definitely shady though.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cards10WS » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:06 am

If manager 1 helped the lazy and didnt drop players/pick them up for himself then I dont think it is a problem. We had something similar happen in my league and the GM who was unactive quit but the one helping him was allowed to stay. As long as he didnt drop players and pick them up I think its not a big problem, just my .02!
Cards10WS
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:15 am

Cards10WS wrote:If manager 1 helped the lazy and didnt drop players/pick them up for himself then I dont think it is a problem. We had something similar happen in my league and the GM who was unactive quit but the one helping him was allowed to stay. As long as he didnt drop players and pick them up I think its not a big problem, just my .02!

Manager 1 didn't just stop there, he used lazy gm's team to trade with his own roster. big problem.
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:22 am

If you want to disband the teams go ahead, but I still dont think you can do a dispersal draft though.

Look at it this way. 8 teams will still be playing

Those two disbanded teams will have what, a couple of studs? The guys that pick early will have a SIGNIFICANT advantage over the other teams in the draft at this point in the season. Its unfair and will screw up the other teams.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stevekahuda » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:58 am

Well, obviously you should kick them both out. I would also suggest benching all of their players if you can't find replacement owners ASAP. At this point in the season, that will knock them out of every counting category, and they probably won't have enough innings to qualify for ERA. Tough position you're in. My league had a cheating scandal several years ago that only involved collusion, but it still sucked for the Commish because it was one of his best friends.
stevekahuda
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Chicago RedSox » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:51 am

The money is the big complicator for me. I would shame the two GM's as much as possible, tell them how they ruined a fun and competitive activity among friends. Explain how if you can't trust your friends to not cheat you out of your money, then who can you trust?
Then I'd boot them both from the league. I'd penalize them the money they put into the kitty, and redistribue the money they put in among the remaining GM's along with the money they originally put in.
So if everyone had started the season putting in $100, the eight good GM's would each get $125 back, and the rest of the season will be played out for fun.
You aren't going to be happy if you find two replacement GM's and one of them wins the pool with a stacked team created by collusion. Just my two cents...
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:30 am

stevekahuda wrote:Well, obviously you should kick them both out. I would also suggest benching all of their players if you can't find replacement owners ASAP. At this point in the season, that will knock them out of every counting category, and they probably won't have enough innings to qualify for ERA. Tough position you're in. My league had a cheating scandal several years ago that only involved collusion, but it still sucked for the Commish because it was one of his best friends.

I like the benching of players idea. For ERA, you could put some of the worst relievers on their roster so that ERA/WHIP gets pummeled and knocks them out of the running.

Too bad a league of buddies has to kick out buddies for their unsporting behavior. Hopefully it doesn't carry over into real life, because despite the money involved it is just a game.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Nails86 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:40 am

It was only 2 phony trades. I dont want the two team to get pummelled to last. I want 2 new reliable, honest, active GM's to come in and help the league flourish again. I want to reverse the trades, retroactively change the stats and bring in 2 solid GM's. Anybody want in??
Nails86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mkultra » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:51 am

The managers should get 1/2 their money back, and new managers should pay 1/2. Keeeping the league fees for the leaving managers doesn't make sense if you're requiring buy-in from new managers- your total pot gets bigger, but how do you allot the extra cash?

BTW- This post belongs in the Commish forum (which is pretty clearly labeled). While I'm sorry your league is in turmoil right now, you're not so much of a Special Little Flower that you can knowingly break the rules and just say "but I'm in a rush!" :-t
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:30 am

This is a real ugly situation. IMO the lazy manager should be removed from the league according to what the other owners agree upon, he wasn't contributing anything to the league anyway. I would consider keeping the "helping" manager around though. He did come clean in the end and other then his greed for side money, from what I understand, he has been a good competitive manager that any good league needs to have to continue being successful.
Good luck finding two more GMs to fill up a league full of buddies. It puts the two new GMs at a pretty significant disadvantage I would imagine. The current GMs probably live near each other, talk on the phone a few times a week, hang out at the bars, play softball every week, etc. That's a lot of time to discuss the league with your mates and propose trades and such that the two new managers don't have.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner