A green DNC - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

A green DNC

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A green DNC

Postby thedude » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:25 pm

Here are the some of guidelines for this year's DNC in Denver

* After trying to source an organic, union made fanny pack to be given to volunteers, Bob DeMasse, the convention’s organizer reported that such a thing doesn’t exist.
* The same goes for baseball caps: there are union caps and organic caps, but no cap with both requirements. (Come on, unions, step up!)
* Andrea Robinson, the convention’s Director of Greening, is testing balloons to make sure they are really biodegradable — by burying them in steaming compost piles.
* She has also hired an Official Carbon Advisor to measure the show’s carbon footprint so that it can be offset by investments in renewable energy.
* “Lean and green” catering guidelines are calling for no fried food and 70% organic or local ingredients.
* And, yes, the DNC will also have a team of garbage monitors.

http://cleantechnica.com/2008/06/25/dem ... onvention/
A request for catering proposals for events sponsored by the Host Committee asks for no fried foods; no individual plastic containers for liquids; reusable, recyclable or compostable plates; and local or organic food -- or both.

Another request is for food to be in at least three of the following five colors: red, green, yellow, blue/purple, and white.

One caterer warned that going organic could double prices.

Still, caterers agree that organizers' commitment to going green during the convention is laudable.

The event is set for Aug. 25th to 28th in Denver.

I get wanting to be environmentally conscious, but is this a way to show fiscal responsibility? The best way to show the American People you know how to balance a budget during a recession is not by doubling the price of food.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A green DNC

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:58 am

Director of Greening has to be the best official title I've ever heard.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:10 am

I'm all for it. Changing the way we do things isn't going to come cheaply, especially not during the first stages.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Phatferd » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:46 pm

I just want to know what will happen if someone slips and falls while attending? Will first aid rush to the scene and supply "free" aid? Or will they have to go on a waiting list and wait their turn to be treated?
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Return to General Talk