roto v H2H, a thought - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

roto v H2H, a thought

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

roto v H2H, a thought

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:55 pm

i was reading in teh thread about benching starters that it is too late for him to gain major points in his hitting cats. his team is good, but just had a few underperforming guys.

ive never played roto, so i dont know a whole lot about it, just what i read here. my main point or i guess question is this....it seems like there are two exact opposite thoughts involved when developing your team depending on the format

in roto...apparently you can fall too far behind at the beginning of the season, as you wont be able to make up serious ground. does this mean you trade away, bench, or give up on slow starting players in order to play/obtain teh hot start guys? this seems weird as most people here say to wait them out, and not to bench your studs. but if you do this you will fall too far behind. seems like a catch 22. and do you draft differntly. reaching for guys who start fast in order to gain an advantage in the cats?

in H2h... its all about the playoffs. assuming your good enough to at least make the playoffs, the whole season is basically trying to build teh best team to enter the playoffs with. seeding doesnt really matter(byes do help), as its a crapshoot at the end.it seems like hot start guys dont get their due, as we all 'know' they will not be there at the end, when it counts. and who cares if your stud is slumping at the beginning, as you 'know' he will be there at the end

i guess after writing all of this i realized i really dont have a point or question...just a rambling i guess. but ill try and conclude it...in roto, do the hot start guys and the flash in teh pan guys mean more/demand more value than they do in H2H. and are you more willing to bench/drop/trade slow starting guys for fear of dropping too far behind?

ohh another thought....do stud starting pitchers lose their value at the end of a roto league's season? which would be opposite from H2H where they gain value as tehy are some of the certainties near the end(limitting young guys' innings, burn outs)
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: roto v H2H, a thought

Postby ha_jai » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:07 pm

Well, the biggest difference between roto and H2H is that you are playing for the whole season in roto whereas H2H are broken out in weekly intervals. It is far easier to make ground in H2H than in roto. So having said that, you want guys who are consistent performers in H2H. Whereas guys who are extremely streaky are best left for roto (ala Alfonso Soriano). Those hot starting guys are good in H2H to help you dominate a week, but unless those guys perform way above their career stats, they are not valuable in roto unless you trade them. That is when trades happen, you trade high and buy low.

Studs are valuable the whole season in roto unless you have an maximum IP setting. Not only can they contribute to the standings, but if you are far ahead in the pitching cats, you can always trade them away for help in other cats.

Don't know if that answer your question.
ha_jai
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jondunc » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:26 pm

To me roto has always been about balance: the best balance of performing players across all the cats, the best balance of hitting vs. pitching, the best balance of strengths vs. weaknesses that you can draft/assemble. That said, it is about the whole season rather than weekly chunks so you have more control over targeting specific types of hitters or pitchers and massaging your production in different categories than you do in h2h. However, I think the "falling too far behind" discussion is mainly an exaggeration. For the most part, a major loss in one category is something that can be planned on and countered either through specific targets or through changes in strategy. Short of a planned strategic move or unexpected injuries, falling far enough behind in a category to render a comeback impossible shouldn't be something that happens to an experienced manager.
2008: 37th ranked Yahoo PLUS Rotisserie Public team (24 weeks in top 45, 9 weeks as #1)
2006: 18th ranked Yahoo PLUS Rotisserie Public team (17 weeks in top 35)
jondunc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:48 pm

shawngee03 wrote:in roto...apparently you can fall too far behind at the beginning of the season, as you wont be able to make up serious ground. does this mean you trade away, bench, or give up on slow starting players in order to play/obtain teh hot start guys? this seems weird as most people here say to wait them out, and not to bench your studs. but if you do this you will fall too far behind. seems like a catch 22. and do you draft differntly. reaching for guys who start fast in order to gain an advantage in the cats?

This is the absolute biggest misconception in roto. The type of mangers that buy into this are the ones that go mainly for the flash in the pan type of player and deal away their underperforming studs. They are also the players that tend to whine when a stud isn't performing to his potential.

I have been in absolute dead last by as late as the All Star break and come back to win. Last year, I was in 10th of 12 for the majority of the season and finished in 2nd. This May, I was in 11th. I'm currently up to 6th and rising. With a proven (and obviously healthy) team, it is not difficult at all to make up ground.

I'm not trying to sound arrogant, it's just that patience is the most important thing to have in a roto league, especially if you have a team full of proven performers. Oddly enough, patience is also something that many roto players lack. Fortunately for me, it's one of my strengths (of course, it can also be a weakness in other areas: just take a look at how much money I have left over after every auction I've ever been in...$30 of $260 last year... :*) ) That being said, flash in the pan guys are popular in roto, but incorrectly so. Successful managers don't deal their studs for pennies on the dollar. Impatient ones do.

ohh another thought....do stud starting pitchers lose their value at the end of a roto league's season? which would be opposite from H2H where they gain value as tehy are some of the certainties near the end(limitting young guys' innings, burn outs

They only do if you exceed your IP limit (Yahoo defaults 1250). However, if you keep track of your IP over the season, it's a non issue. I'll usually start my studs all the time and play matchups with lesser pitchers...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Return to Baseball Leftovers