Bobby Cox' Closer Management Style - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bobby Cox' Closer Management Style

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bobby Cox' Closer Management Style

Postby zoolander12 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:46 am

Hi, I just want to get a feel for how Cox manages his closers, as I am new to fantasy baseball. I am curious because currently I own Mike Gonzalez, Hoffman, Torres, and F Cordero, and have only 2 RP, and 2P spots, but I want to put in an MR to get me some holds. So, I am thinking of dropping Mike gonzalez for a SP. I am hesitant because the braves are a good team and will win a lot of games, and give Mike opportunities to close. But I seem to have heard from somewhere that Cox is very frustrating manager with respect to using his relievers and closers. Is this true, does he do this thing where he puts in a lefty to get one out, puts in a righty to get another, etc. Will he take away some of Gonzalez' value?
zoolander12
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bobby Cox' Closer Management Style

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:54 am

Bobby Cox runs his closer system the same way Mike Shanahan runs the Denver Broncos' Runningbacks in football... I would just stay away from the situation entirely.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Maris09 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:55 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:Bobby Cox runs his closer system the same way Mike Shanahan runs the Denver Broncos' Runningbacks in football... I would just stay away from the situation entirely.

Stay away from the clear leader for Saves on a contending team??? 8-o

I think not.

I would hold on to Gonzalez man. They may baby him for a month or so, but he's by far the best arm in the pen right now. The only guy who's close in skill level is Soriano, and there little chance in my mind he becomes a real option this year again.

Gonzalez had that great year in Pitt a couple years back, had his operation taken care of last year, and seems ready to go. The Braves did pay what at the time seemed like a pretty high price for Gonzalez (Adam LaRoche), so I think they were looking to make him their Closer sooner or later. All they had to give up for Soriano was Horatio Ramirez...which tells you really all you need to know about what Seattle thought of Soriano's health.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:01 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:Bobby Cox runs his closer system the same way Mike Shanahan runs the Denver Broncos' Runningbacks in football... I would just stay away from the situation entirely.

Exactly wrong. when Cox has a decent closer, he uses them exclusively. Some years (like this one), he has been forced to mix and match because he has a bad bullpen...

2008: Closer sucked; hence a CBC
2007: Wickman was picking up all the saves (20) 'til he got hurt and decided he didn't want to play for the Braves anymore, then Soriano took over and got almost all the saves. These guys weren't even all that good...
2006: We tried Reitsma at closer. That failed, so we went ahead and got Wickman. in between Wickman and Reitsma, it was a CBC, but that was because our other RPs sucked...
2005: Farnsworth at the end of the year, before that CBC. But we started with Kolb, but Kolb absolutely sucked, as did all of the Braves' other bullpen pitchers (Reitsma, etc.), so Cox went with CBC...
2001-2004: Smoltz

Basically, we try to use a closer. When our closer sucks, we go CBC until we find a closer who actually does a decent job. I think most MLB teams would do this. And every year we've eventually found a closer (usually by trade). I agree with Maris09. Hold onto Gonzo baby, he's the closer that the Braves finally found this year (he was 29-for-29 or something in Pittsburgh...)
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby curious_george_43545 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:07 am

Yeah don't really get this. The Broncos make any running back look good. The Braves and their closers, yeah not so much.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Maris09 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:07 pm

curious_george_43545 wrote:

Yeah don't really get this. The Broncos make any running back look good. The Braves and their closers, yeah not so much.

I think he meant you can't count on figuring out which one is going to get the TD's (ie Saves).
Runningback by committee (CBC) type thing.
It still didn't work.....but I get what he was trying to say. To be fair it was that type of situation before Gonzalez was activated. If he is able to stay healthy there shouldn't be much of a time share there.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby curious_george_43545 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:33 pm

Maris09 wrote:

I think he meant you can't count on figuring out which one is going to get the TD's (ie Saves).
Runningback by committee (CBC) type thing.
It still didn't work.....but I get what he was trying to say. To be fair it was that type of situation before Gonzalez was activated. If he is able to stay healthy there shouldn't be much of a time share there.

Yeah I figured as much, but I'm a Braves fan and merely pointing out that our closers have sucked since Smoltz. Still though, once Cox finds a reliable closer they should have the role for good so yeah.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:31 pm

Yeah I figured as much, but I'm a Braves fan and merely pointing out that our closers have sucked since Smoltz. Still though, once Cox finds a reliable closer they should have the role for good so yeah.

Exactly. So the question is, do you trust Gonzalez? his numbers from previous years lead me to trust him...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby redstorm41 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:20 am

I think looking at Gonzalez's track record should give you an idea where the Braves want to go in terms of their closer situation. Since Gonzalez has more of a record than Soriano does, Cox would feel that Gonzo is the not only better of the two but the safer of the two. The only numbers to worry about are his WHIP, but if you take a look at his numbers from 2006 (2.17 ERA, 64 K in 54 IP, 24/24 in save opportunities) tells you that he is more than comfortable in the closer's role. Stick with Gonzalez and ride him out.
redstorm41
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yanks_Baby » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:21 am

Since he's recorded his first career save, Gonzo has yet to blow a save. All his saves are consecutive perfect saves, pretty impressive. I'd be shocked if he doesn't keep the job.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers