iPod Classic/iPod Touch owners - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

iPod Classic/iPod Touch owners

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

iPod Classic/iPod Touch owners

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:42 am

if you own the new iPod classic or touch, especially the touch, can you guys give me an idea of each's advantage? I've only used friends' touch sporatically and is trying to decide between an 80 gig classic or an 8 gig touch. Is there any major problem to the touch(or classic)? :-?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: iPod Classic/iPod Touch owners

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:52 am

i have an iphone, which is essentially the same thing as a touch with a few differences.

the way i look at it, is the touch is absolutely not worth it if you are not around wireless internet. you wont be able to connect to the internet all that frequently, and you can buy an ipod classic for cheaper with much more space.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:58 am

just got a free 8GB Touch, but never owned the original. Like SG said, its seems like its just an iPhone without the phone. The bigger screen would definitely be a plus over a regular iPod if you planned on dowlaoding videos to watch. Other than that, the other functionality is useless to me b/c my blackberry does it all already, though internet browsing is better on the Touch, but w/ the Blackberry i don't need to be by a wireless connection.

8GB is skimpy depending on how many songs you have, especially if you prefer above 128 kbps
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:48 am

I personally stay away from all the gimmicky things that they have to offer. The iPod is an mp3/video player, not a phone or a laptop. The Touch is overpriced and overrated for the lack of space, and the "internet on the go" function is kinda dulled by the fact that you have to go to a wi-fi hot spot all the time, or to make it even more pointless, you can use it at home. I like the classic 80GB, but that's because I download a ton of videos (albeit illegally) and there's space to fit them all. Plus I have like 12,000 songs and I don't have to worry about space. ;-D

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:58 am

I love mine and I have had it since the day it came out. I keep most of my music and photos on it. It is great for traveling since you can put 3-4 movies on it as well (I keep backups of all my DVDs on iTunes). It's much better than a portable dvd player or any other portable video device.

I also use it to check for scores and browsing the web while watching TV. Finally, I use it for running every morning.

I would love to get an iPhone but I really like my network (VZ) and I have a Blackberry for work. I would recommend an iPhone but you will easily get plenty of use out of it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:01 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:I personally stay away from all the gimmicky things that they have to offer. The iPod is an mp3/video player, not a phone or a laptop. The Touch is overpriced and overrated for the lack of space, and the "internet on the go" function is kinda dulled by the fact that you have to go to a wi-fi hot spot all the time, or to make it even more pointless, you can use it at home. I like the classic 80GB, but that's because I download a ton of videos (albeit illegally) and there's space to fit them all. Plus I have like 12,000 songs and I don't have to worry about space. ;-D

Bingo! As far as I'm concerned, you either need to juggle things to get a new iPhone 3G when they come out, or just go for a classic with WAY more space. I love all the features of my iPhone, but I did not buy it with the mp3 player as my primary need. I have an older generation 30 GB photo iPod for all my music needs, etc. So, if you could use the phone and don't mind jumping the AT&T bandwagon like many of us, then I say you should get the iPhone. If not, save your money and get a classic - the touch is not worth it at all imo...
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:04 pm

I have a 16GB Touch and absolutely love it. There's more than enough room for me (8 would be tight though). For videos, just don't put a bunch on at once. If it's movies and TV shows, you're not going to watch all of them, so a few at a time should be fine and then just switch when you feel like it. Like Yoda said, when I'm sitting around watching TV getting out the Touch is way easier than booting up a laptop, depending on what it is you want to do. You do need a hot spot, but I have a wireless network at my house, so that isn't a problem, and since next year I'll be on a college campus, I'll be covered pretty much wherever I go. Again, it's much easier than lugging a laptop around if you just want to check a couple quick things when you run to lunch or something.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yanks_Baby » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:10 pm

Unless you jailbreak it, the touch is just gimicky. Once it's jailbreaked though, you get tonms of fun games and apps on it.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:12 pm

I jailbroke mine and played NES for a while but then it started crashing so I went back to the normal version, and I can't really say I miss any of the jailbroken features that much. I'm looking forward to the 2.0 firmware though. Some of the games look incredible. Hopefully there will be a way to "acquire" them without paying $10 per game from the iTunes store though.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yanks_Baby » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:19 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:I jailbroke mine and played NES for a while but then it started crashing so I went back to the normal version, and I can't really say I miss any of the jailbroken features that much. I'm looking forward to the 2.0 firmware though. Some of the games look incredible. Hopefully there will be a way to "acquire" them without paying $10 per game from the iTunes store though.

You bastard! You don't miss the tickle me Elmo feature?!?! How can you even call yourself human! :-t

:-b
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk