Here's how my team turned out - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Here's how my team turned out

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:13 pm

Well I for one don't see Renteria even getting back to you, so he may need a new strategy real quik. Its a nice one but I gotta believe that one of those other 10 teams needs a SS. :-)

If I had the 10th pick here, I would be looking at a strategy that included one of those Catchers of 1B ... IMO.

If Chavez or Renteria fell to me at 10, I would of course grab which ever one is available. Also, with guys named A-Rod, Soriano, Beltran, Prior and Schilling all ready stashed away in a 5 man keeper, any pick I make this year is obviusly not going to have 'keeper' implications. No way I would take a closer here. :-)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Erboes » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:34 pm

I got to disagree with a couple points here. 3b is deep, but it is an average deep, as in the difference between #1 and #12 is probably only $8 in value. Putting Rodriguez there is like putting a Mercedes in a showroom with a bunch of Chevy Malibus. With A-Rod, there could be as many as 5 SS's who are better than anyone at 3b. The difference between A-Rod+Rentaria and A-Rod+Chavez is upside. Rentaria was a mid $30's type player last season, and although I doubt if he can repeat it, the possibility of him doing it again are far better than Chavez ever getting there.

I really would not recommend taking a catcher here, although if you decide to do so Piazza is the choice. I am not much of a position scarcity type of person, though.

A solid choice would be to take both Berkman and Abreu here. They've both been in the upper $30's and are difference makers, but I like the Rentaria+Abreu/Berkman idea better.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:51 pm

wrveres wrote:Well I for one don't see Renteria even getting back to you, so he may need a new strategy real quik. Its a nice one but I gotta believe that one of those other 10 teams needs a SS. :-)

If I had the 10th pick here, I would be looking at a strategy that included one of those Catchers of 1B ... IMO.

If Chavez or Renteria fell to me at 10, I would of course grab which ever one is available. Also, with guys named A-Rod, Soriano, Beltran, Prior and Schilling all ready stashed away in a 5 man keeper, any pick I make this year is obviusly not going to have 'keeper' implications. No way I would take a closer here. :-)

This is exactly what I was thinking when I first read it....Although I like the AROD/SS move...I don't think Renteria will make it back to you....a move of catcher (Posada, Piazza) then a 1B (Sexon, Giambi, Huff) is the way I would go...Should Renteria or Chavez make it back...then take one of them over a C or 1B...and then take the next availible player... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby nsulham » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:03 pm

Wow, lots of great info here, thanks guys, keep it coming! ;-D

Two quick points I wanna make:

1) DK, the top SP left over other than Halladay would be Brown, Santana, Wolf, Millwood. Basically middle-tier guys, none really worth spending a #1 on, IMO

2) For WR and DHC, you'd be surprised but Renteria actually stands a fairly good chance of dropping to me. A lot of the guys in my league view him as a "one-year wonder" type and most actually have Furcal ahaead of him as Furcal is more of the "known" name. All the better for me if Edgar falls.

Gotta admit, I'm not REAL high on taking Chavez but if he's there and my other options don't look great I'll def. consider it.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:13 pm

nsulham wrote:2) For WR and DHC, you'd be surprised but Renteria actually stands a fairly good chance of dropping to me. A lot of the guys in my league view him as a "one-year wonder" type and most actually have Furcal ahaead of him as Furcal is more of the "known" name. All the better for me if Edgar falls.

Just one thought on this....If Renteria does fall to you...and you take him...then you have two of the top 5 fantasy SS...with the ability to move one of them to 3B....that in its self hurts the other teams...Like I said before...If he falls, take him.... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby EugeneStyles » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:58 am

Absolutely. Take Renteria if you can. If you can't, maybe you take Cabrera. He's been pretty consistently good, and people are predicting that he will run more this year.

With your second pick, you could do worse than grabbing Sexson or Bagwell. Or if both are gone, grab Posada.
(taps little picture of a microphone)... is this thing on?
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby nsulham » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:10 am

bump

Keep 'em coming guys! ;-D
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:43 am

nsulham wrote:bump

Nsulham... I agree that you should take Renteria if he makes it to you. I don't know what else I can add; you needn't keep bumping this. ;-D
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby nsulham » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:19 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
nsulham wrote:bump

Nsulham... I agree that you should take Renteria if he makes it to you. I don't know what else I can add; you needn't keep bumping this. ;-D

Sorry if I'm annoying anyone with the bumping, just trying to get as much feedback as possible.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:48 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Andy1234 wrote:1. Abreu
2. Sexson, I'd take him over Giambi
3. Giles
4. Huff
5. Renteria

That's not exactly how I would rank them but I would take those four over Renteria. With 10 teams I would just go best available player.

I disagree with taking them over Renteria. He is entering his prime and plays at a shallow position. I would grab him. 1B and OF are extremely deep this year. I would also strongly consider Posada on the way back.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers