Here's how my team turned out - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Here's how my team turned out

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Here's how my team turned out

Postby nsulham » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:20 pm

I'm looking for everyone's opinions (and I know they're like a**holes, everyone's got one) on how I should go about my draft this year.

10 team keeper, 2nd year, we keep 5. Cats are normal 5x5 PLUS hits (batters) and walks (pitchers). I won the league last year so I'll be picking last (#10) this year.

My 5 are A-Rod, Soriano, Beltran, Prior and Schilling. Now I know some of you will say "What do you need our help for, look at those 5!" because I've gotten it before. Truth is, yes that's a nice foundation but if I have any hopes of defending my title, I need to build on it.

This is a small list of players who will be available in the first.
Magglio, Abreu, Giles, Berkman, Giambi, Huff, Sexson, Bagwell, Posada, Piazza, Chavez, Renteria, Halladay, Wagner, Foulke, Rivera.

Ideally I'd like to get two from this list. Realistically, I have no shot at Magglio, Halladay, probably Giambi and the closers. My original strat was to take one of the closers and an OF with #10 and #11 but recently the consensus from other owners is that none of the closers will be there at my pick.

With that in mind, I've thought about taking Renteria, moving A-Rod to 3B and drafting a 3B late as a stopgap until A-Rod gets his 3B elig. and then an OF with my first two picks. Thoughts or anything you'd do differently?

Also, I know to be flexible when picking but what should I be looking at for subsequent picks? I'd imagine SP at 3 or 4?

Sorry if this is long and tedious but I really do appreciate all the feedback. The Cafe was my ace in the hole last year and will be again this year when I win again.

Thanks again!! ;-D :-)
Last edited by nsulham on Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 5 days til draft, please help w/strat (will bump thru week)

Postby Andy1234 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:13 pm

nsulham wrote:My 5 are A-Rod, Soriano, Beltran, Prior and Schilling. Now I know some of you will say "What do you need our help for, look at those 5!"
What do you need our help for, look at those 5! :-b

With no shot at Mags Halladay or the closers, Here how I'd rank them.

1. Abreu
2. Sexson, I'd take him over Giambi
3. Giles
4. Huff
5. Renteria
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby xeifrank » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:32 pm

I see no holes in your move AROD to 3B strategy and drafting an OFer and Renteria, and don't worry about those closers being gone. There are many other closers to choose from later.

Unless you completely screw up your draft, you should be one of the top teams in your league again. That's a great foundation of a team, all of those guys are top tier players.

vr,

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby kentx12 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:37 pm

My 5 are A-Rod, Soriano, Beltran, Prior and Schilling. Now I know some of you will say "What do you need our help for, look at those 5!" because I've gotten it before. Truth is, yes that's a nice foundation but if I have any hopes of defending my title, I need to build on it.

This is a small list of players who will be available in the first.
Magglio, Abreu, Giles, Berkman, Giambi, Huff, Sexson, Bagwell, Posada, Piazza, Chavez, Renteria, Halladay, Wagner, Foulke, Rivera.

Those 5 keepers are impressive. As for moving Arod to 3rd and getting Renteria I really like that idea. That would give you 2 very good ss and you might even be able to trade Renteria for a better player after your draft if someone needs a ss. As for the other pick I would go with Sexson followed by Huff.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Re: 5 days til draft, please help w/strat (will bump thru week)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:41 pm

Andy1234 wrote:1. Abreu
2. Sexson, I'd take him over Giambi
3. Giles
4. Huff
5. Renteria

That's not exactly how I would rank them but I would take those four over Renteria. With 10 teams I would just go best available player.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Erboes » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:42 pm

I agree with the Rentaria/Rodriguez strategy. There's definitely not as much top shelf talent at 3b, so I think this is a winner. I would go with either Abreu or Berkman next if Ordonez isn't there. I strongly suggest you foget about any of these catchers and go for V. Martinez later. Actually, I'd suggest that for anyone who's in a mixed or AL league.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:14 pm

Well, judging from those 5 players, your only "weakness" is BA and hits. You're going to have tons of power, speed, R, and RBI. For pitching, it doesn't get much better than Prior and Schilling. So saves are what you need for pitching. Getting a closer would be a good idea, but don't fall into the closer run and take somebody that shouldn't be going that early. If people are passing on Giles, Huff, Abreu and Renteria for Foulke and Rivera, that's their problem. They may think that since those guys don't pitch a lot of walks that that's a benefit to them, which is wrong. By way of opportunity cost, they're passing up SP's who throw a lot of IP and don't get walks, for a guy who throws a third of the IP and a less impactful low amount of walks.

Renteria seems like a good option, and if you do that you'll have enough SB's from 4 hitters to last you the whole season. His BA also should be high. He batted .330 last year, and now he's batting in front of one of the best 3-4-5 hitter combos in baseball. He should get a ton of hits and great BA, which is all I can see that you'll need.

As for the player other than Renteria to target, if you can't get the guys you named, I'd suggest Huff, Abreu, Giles, or Sexson. I'd pass on Abreu if you get Renteria because his SB's won't help you much. Personally, I'd narrow it down to Huff or Giles. You can't go wrong with those two. And if you don't get Renteria, then Huff and either of Abreu/Giles would be a good combo. Huff because he plays 1B and getting 3 OF's in a shallow league that early isn't a smart idea, and Abreu or Giles because they're good all around players; Abreu with more speed, and Giles with more power. Either way, you're in great shape for Back-to-Back titles ;-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:54 pm

I don't like the Renteria move A-Rod to 3rd base move. However, if you think you can trade Renteria for a better player then you need to draft him there.

I'd prefer to go leave A-Rod at SS and draft Chavez. You're gonna have to be flexible with the 10th pick, you don't know whats gonna happen ahead of you. I wouldn't worry about the closers, they aren't worth that high of a pick anyway. I hope they are gone so you aren't tempted to take one.

I'd rank the available players like this

Magglio
Berkman
Sexson
Huff
Giles
Abreu
Chavez
Renteria
Halladay
Giambi
Bagwell
Posada
Piazza
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:11 pm

The problem with drafting Chavez over Renteria is that he'll have a much lower BA, which is what he needs help in. Chavez batted 50 points lower than Renteria last year, and his situation has gotten worse, while Renteria's has gotten better. The power would be nice, but they were very close in RBI last year and that's with Tejada. Based on raw stats and not taking position into account (since for argument's sake, they play the same position with having A-Rod as a flex SS/3B) Renteria helps a lot more in the 2 cats in which you're lacking. He also has a ton more SB's while getting a third to half of the HR's Chavez will get. They are close to being a wash, but the fact that Renteria helps so much more in BA and hits makes him the obvious choice to me.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:16 pm

Interesting... :-°

The A-Rod/Renteria idea is not as good as others. Considering these factors:

1:3B is deeper than SS
2:There are players in the pool better than Renteria

You would be better off keeping A-Rod at short and getting the hole plugged at 3B early. If Chavez is taken, however (How is he not in someone's top 5? :-? ) I would take an outfielder and Renteria. If Chavez falls to you (unlikely, but I've seen odder), grab him and an outfielder (hopefully Abreu, because he's an underrated monster). Other than Halladay, who are the other SP's that are in this draft?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers