NO MORE SP for rest of season???......Good Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

NO MORE SP for rest of season???......Good Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

NO MORE SP for rest of season???......Good Strategy

Postby Tom Emanski AllStars » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:15 pm

here are MY current roto standings in my league (10/10 is the best & 1/10 is the worst)
    R- 1/10
    HR- 3/10
    RBI- 8/10
    SB- 4/10
    AVG- 2/10
    OBP- 1/10
    (as you can see my hitting is my weakness)
    W- 5.5/10
    SV- 10/10 (by a wide margin)
    K- 8/10
    ERA- 10/10
    OBP- 10/10

here's is the idea i'm floating around with....not starting any of my SP (or maybe just my workhorses i.e. beckett, zambrono) for the rest of the year. plugging in some setup man and low ERA/WHIP guys....basically maintain my 10s i SV,ERA,WHIP and see if i can't trade out some of the mediocre SP i have to upgrade in the hitting department.

the current first place team has 71.5 total points out of a possible 110 pts. if i was able to bring all my hitting stats to an 8 or 9 and managed to keep my 10 in the 3 pitching cats that would give me a total of 78 or 84 respectively.... that could very well win the league

opinions on this strategy?????????????????????

10 team - roto - 6x5 - nonkeeper - daily changes
(R,HR,RBI,AVG,OBP,SB --- W,SV,K,ERA,WHIP)
max 1250 innings
max 162games/position

C-Kurt Suzuki (c)
1B-Ryan Howard (1b)
2B-Brian Roberts (2b)
3B-Miguel Cabrera (1b/3b)
SS-Orlando Cabrera (ss)
OF-Bobby Abreu (of)
OF-Vladimir Guerrero (of)
OF-Corey Hart (of)
Util-Carlos Guillen (1b/3b/ss)
BN-Matt Kemp (of)
BN-Alfonso Soriano DL (of)
DL-V.Martinez (c/1b)

SP-Josh Beckett
SP-Carlos Zambrono (DL)
RP-Fransico Rodriguez
RP-Mariano Riveria
P-Salomon Torres
P-Heath Bell
P-John Maine
BN-AJ Burnett
BN-Ted Lilly
BN-Justin Masterson
Tom Emanski AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: NO MORE SP for rest of season???......Good Strategy

Postby ha_jai » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:16 pm

I think it is too early to consider benching all your SP. Assuming the other teams start their SP, you will most likely be near the bottom in both the W and K cat. Assuming worse case scenario, you are going to lose 11.5 points from your current standing. Can you make up that 11.5 points from the increase in hitting plus generate additional points? Possibly, but you are taking on a lot more risk. It is very hard to dominate all the hitting categories (8+ ranking in a ten team league) especially when you are 2 or below in 3 cat. And there is no way your team can dominate the SB cat. The only pure base stealer is Roberts. Don't take this the wrong way, but I really don't see how your staff can be 1st in WHIP and ERA. You must be extremely lucky in playing matchups.

Your team is not too bad. You just have a bunch of under performing players. I would be patient and wait for those hitters to heat up. Once they do, you should be closer to the middle of the pack in hitting cat.
ha_jai
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tom Emanski AllStars » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:35 pm

thanks for taking the time to read over and analyze my post.
your right about the SB dept. as far as ERA/WHIP i was fortunate at the beginning of the season with e.volquez and j.smoltz. My current staff configuration is why i was tossing around the idea of benching the medicore SP because i don't think i can sustain my current ERA/WHIP (which, i lead in both by considerable margins)
Tom Emanski AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby noseeum » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:11 pm

You have a long way to go, but if you can replace a mediocre starter with a guy like Hong-Chih Kuo then it may work. You need to get high k, studly ratio middle relievers to replace your mediocre starters, so you can get vulture wins and not lose too much ground in Ks while maintaining your lead in ERA and WHIP.

I'd say it can work, but the only question is "is it too early to start?"

You also have to consider your IP limit. 1250 is pretty low, so at this point you definitely want to maximize the quality of those innings. If you're over half already, then your strategy makes even more sense.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tom Emanski AllStars » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:32 pm

IP limit is what is influencing my decesion also. i'm currently projected for going over by 10 innings...the rest of league is projected to go over by ~100innings the closest guy to me is a +49innings.

i think if i start around the Allstar Break...it may be perfect timing (before everyone else catches on to the idea). my league really undervalues quality, nice k/9 ratio setup men.

for an idea whose available: j.broxton, r.betancourt, h.okijima, t.buchholz, d.aardsma, s.shields (kuo is taken, but most likely will be dropped at some point)

i think burnett, maine, maybe even lilly will be great in 2-for-1 trades to upgrade in the hitting dept (maybe trade for a few guys that can swing it and run)
Tom Emanski AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby freeling_prideful » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:51 pm

Absolutely not. Did you say you have Volquez, Beckett, and Zambrano...and you want to start benching starters? If you're on pace to go over the innings limit, just start a top MR for a few weeks to make up the difference--like, on weeks when your pitchers have horrible matchups.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:14 am

Well having a 6X5 League makes hitting that more valuable so I would not even worry about pitching.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Tom Emanski AllStars » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:28 am

i HAD volquez...i thought i would trade him high a month ago (banging head).

in a 6x5 league with a low max IP limit i think this strategy has more of chance to pay off, a lot more than when people in 7x7 or 10x10 leagues start throwing around the idea.
Tom Emanski AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby noseeum » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:46 am

Bottom line is, in a league with an innings limit, you need to maximize the quality of those innings. The sooner you can get rid of mediocre pitchers the better, but you want to make sure you get full use of your innings. The last thing you want is to end up using only 1100 out of 1250 innings and being forced to throw out mediocre guys in the end to make up the difference.

Run some numbers and figure it out. And btw, you could always trade mediocre starters for Kuo too, not just offense.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:38 am

There's no way you can do this and here's why: You are depending on getting hitting cats, which you have low numbers in, up to 8s and 9s, which almost certainly won't happen. At this point, you need to try to gain as many points as possible in wins and Ks and then hope you can gain enough in your hitting cats to get into first.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers