Help possible RULE CHANGE - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Help possible RULE CHANGE

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Help possible RULE CHANGE

Postby Matthias » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:56 am

Two things:
(1) I was imprecise in my last post. What I think he's trying to say (but wish he'd clarify) is if this rule is a situation where an exception should be made, i.e. if streaming is such a known ill and this fix is a fair way to address it.
(2) Another thing that is missing is whether or not someone drafted based upon the idea. That is the whole basis of the, "no mid-season rule changes" idea is that people draft based upon a certain construct and now you're changing what they drafted.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:32 am

Matthias wrote:Two things:
(1) I was imprecise in my last post. What I think he's trying to say (but wish he'd clarify) is if this rule is a situation where an exception should be made, i.e. if streaming is such a known ill and this fix is a fair way to address it.
(2) Another thing that is missing is whether or not someone drafted based upon the idea. That is the whole basis of the, "no mid-season rule changes" idea is that people draft based upon a certain construct and now you're changing what they drafted.

At this point does how they drafted matter? What if a team drafted Gallardo, Bedard and Myers? By Week 4 he may have needed to opt to stream to keep up. That means that that team spent the last dozen weeks basing his strategy and decisions based on streaming. I (and almost everyone else) would consider it incredibly unfair to change the rules at this late stage.

The point is, a significant percentage of FBL players consider streaming a viable strategy so if you want your league to be stream free you must set the rules up to prohibit it in advance.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:36 am

I give up - the level of irrationality and lack of listening on the "pro-change" side is actually irritating me, which should never happen in this forum. The change is 100% wrong on multiple fronts and his question isn't as poorly clarified as it is baseless, as well as answering itself in the initial post...
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Marrakesh Express » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:57 pm

are the two managers who said no to changing the rules the ones streaming? I would talk with those streaming and get them to understand that the majority of the league hates them doing so. That said it's hard to get through to people that streaming is annoying. For me, last year I locked a team from making moves but it was a league with my friends, not random people.
Marrakesh Express
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Matthias » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:29 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:I give up - the level of irrationality and lack of listening on the "pro-change" side is actually irritating me, which should never happen in this forum. The change is 100% wrong on multiple fronts and his question isn't as poorly clarified as it is baseless, as well as answering itself in the initial post...

Hey, I'm not, "pro-change"'; I'm pro-"answering the question that has been asked". If someone comes in here and says, "Ignoring the mantra of no veto except for collusion... here's my situation... blah blah blah... should I veto?" it would be a pretty silly response to say, "No, you shouldn't veto. You should never veto except for collusion."

He didn't answer his own question in the initial post; he just ruled out the only answer you wanted to give.
bobbleheadrusty wrote:At this point does how they drafted matter? What if a team drafted Gallardo, Bedard and Myers? By Week 4 he may have needed to opt to stream to keep up. That means that that team spent the last dozen weeks basing his strategy and decisions based on streaming. I (and almost everyone else) would consider it incredibly unfair to change the rules at this late stage.

The point is, a significant percentage of FBL players consider streaming a viable strategy so if you want your league to be stream free you must set the rules up to prohibit it in advance.

This gets to the merits of what the guy is actually asking. His point about, "what if someone already dropped a pitcher they would have kept based upon the streaming strategy" is on point.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:50 pm

Matthias wrote:
WaCougMBS wrote:I give up - the level of irrationality and lack of listening on the "pro-change" side is actually irritating me, which should never happen in this forum. The change is 100% wrong on multiple fronts and his question isn't as poorly clarified as it is baseless, as well as answering itself in the initial post...

Hey, I'm not, "pro-change"'; I'm pro-"answering the question that has been asked". If someone comes in here and says, "Ignoring the mantra of no veto except for collusion... here's my situation... blah blah blah... should I veto?" it would be a pretty silly response to say, "No, you shouldn't veto. You should never veto except for collusion."

He didn't answer his own question in the initial post; he just ruled out the only answer you wanted to give.
bobbleheadrusty wrote:At this point does how they drafted matter? What if a team drafted Gallardo, Bedard and Myers? By Week 4 he may have needed to opt to stream to keep up. That means that that team spent the last dozen weeks basing his strategy and decisions based on streaming. I (and almost everyone else) would consider it incredibly unfair to change the rules at this late stage.

This gets to the merits of what the guy is actually asking. His point about, "what if someone already dropped a pitcher they would have kept based upon the streaming strategy" is on point.

With respect, you are completely off base on this one man. It is not about giving credence to his question. It was a bad question and I have answered it as well as stating the above stated mantra. Asking us to ignore the detail that he asked us to ignore is ridiculous in and of itself and that is why everyone other than you is in agreement almost across the board. Pretty much everyone, including me, gave multiple reasons for this not being ok. The reason that it is not ok to change in the middle of the season is because of preseason/draft strategy, and since everyone knows that and it was already stated, I don't see what the big deal is. His question has been answered time and time again %-6

I'm sorry you are taking this so personally and are taking the defense of this situation that deserves no such defense, but that's not our problem.
Please read all the posts before firing back some off-topic reply, or better yet, just drop it already...
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby noseeum » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:53 am

Marrakesh Express wrote:are the two managers who said no to changing the rules the ones streaming? I would talk with those streaming and get them to understand that the majority of the league hates them doing so. That said it's hard to get through to people that streaming is annoying. For me, last year I locked a team from making moves but it was a league with my friends, not random people.

Streaming: annoying
Locking a team's roster even though the owner is breaking no rules: perfectly acceptable

:-t
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Marrakesh Express » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:23 pm

yea a bit harsh but I had warned him not to do it previously so I had to lock his team. Only lasted like 2 days and then he continued to do it so it was no use trying to stop it.
Marrakesh Express
College Coach
College Coach

Postby noseeum » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:22 pm

Marrakesh Express wrote:yea a bit harsh but I had warned him not to do it previously so I had to lock his team. Only lasted like 2 days and then he continued to do it so it was no use trying to stop it.

I don't think you're getting the point. You're the one breaking the rules, not him. Totally not cool what you did, no matter how you feel about streaming. If you don't like streaming, set the system in place so that streaming doesn't work. Limit innings or something. Locking someone's roster when all he's trying to do is win is so not cool.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:49 pm

noseeum wrote:
Marrakesh Express wrote:yea a bit harsh but I had warned him not to do it previously so I had to lock his team. Only lasted like 2 days and then he continued to do it so it was no use trying to stop it.

I don't think you're getting the point. You're the one breaking the rules, not him. Totally not cool what you did, no matter how you feel about streaming. If you don't like streaming, set the system in place so that streaming doesn't work. Limit innings or something. Locking someone's roster when all he's trying to do is win is so not cool.

Agreed yet again.
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner