Help possible RULE CHANGE - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Help possible RULE CHANGE

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help possible RULE CHANGE

Postby bpizle » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:09 pm

My league and myself have basically all agreed that the pitching streaming has gotten out of hand, we just recently contacted CBS in an effort to put in a rule at the ASB ( other than waivers ) that would help the league stop this problem. My league voted 8-2 in a recent poll to change the ruling at the all star break, however; were considering going to a 9 cap per week number ( we discussed this to get the number). What im wondering if it IS right and/or logical to change this ruling at the ASB. Aside from the normal " dont change rules during the middle of the season". Do you guys think an exception can be made?
bpizle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help possible RULE CHANGE

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:47 pm

Honestly, I am a very firm believer in keeping the rules consistent all season long, no matter what the reason. I think the mere fact that there were 2 dissenters on the issue makes it so you can't change things until next year. It's still a level playing field, and it is a part of the game, allowed under the agreed-upon rules established in the preseason. It might suck for a few guys who can't afford to stay on top of things every day, but you will all know better in '09 at least, right? ;-)
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby noseeum » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:50 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:Honestly, I am a very firm believer in keeping the rules consistent all season long, no matter what the reason. I think the mere fact that there were 2 dissenters on the issue makes it so you can't change things until next year. It's still a level playing field, and it is a part of the game, allowed under the agreed-upon rules established in the preseason. It might suck for a few guys who can't afford to stay on top of things every day, but you will all know better in '09 at least, right? ;-)

Agreed. I'm no fan of tyranny of the majority. Those two owners signed up for the league under the current rules. Keep it as is for this season and change it for '09.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:33 am

I third those voices. If there is even one person that does not agree with the change then it should be held off till next season.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tribefan08 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:09 pm

wow even tho my question about a rule change is different these responses pretty much sum up my views to, let it go til next year, if you change it then you're altering the year and possibly someones team/chance at winning....

thanks
tribefan08
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:36 pm

bpizle wrote:My league and myself have basically all agreed that the pitching streaming has gotten out of hand, we just recently contacted CBS in an effort to put in a rule at the ASB ( other than waivers ) that would help the league stop this problem. My league voted 8-2 in a recent poll to change the ruling at the all star break, however; were considering going to a 9 cap per week number ( we discussed this to get the number). What im wondering if it IS right and/or logical to change this ruling at the ASB. Aside from the normal " dont change rules during the middle of the season". Do you guys think an exception can be made?

Guys, read the whole thing.

So what's your cap of 9 per week? Starts? Or adds/drops? You have to be more clear.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Matthias wrote:
bpizle wrote:My league and myself have basically all agreed that the pitching streaming has gotten out of hand, we just recently contacted CBS in an effort to put in a rule at the ASB ( other than waivers ) that would help the league stop this problem. My league voted 8-2 in a recent poll to change the ruling at the all star break, however; were considering going to a 9 cap per week number ( we discussed this to get the number). What im wondering if it IS right and/or logical to change this ruling at the ASB. Aside from the normal " dont change rules during the middle of the season". Do you guys think an exception can be made?

So what's your cap of 9 per week? Starts? Or adds/drops? You have to be more clear.

That's just it though - the thing he was asking us to ignore is the exact reason why this should not be done. Like we said above also though, it's about unanimity in the decision making process if an exception is to be made - since 2 guys are against a mid-season move (regardless of reason), things shouldn't change IMO...
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:34 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:
Matthias wrote:

That's just it though - the thing he was asking us to ignore is the exact reason why this should not be done. Like we said above also though, it's about unanimity in the decision making process if an exception is to be made - since 2 guys are against a mid-season move (regardless of reason), things shouldn't change IMO...

Those two things are the same thing. Even the most fervent among you would agree (I think) that if a league voted 12-0 to change its rules mid-season, that would be ok. So changing rules mid-season wasn't his question. Whether or not a 10-2 majority is enough wasn't his question. His question had something to do with the number they were putting in for a cap (I think).
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:57 am

The only question I see him asking is "Do you guys think an exception can be made?" The way I read it is he knows that rules shouldn't be changed but in this case can an exception be made? And my answer is no since it was not a 100% vote.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:41 am

This conversation is getting more off topic as the posts come in, but I still hold that the original question is flawed and that he basically answered his own question in the post. The part about "aside from the usual answer..." is like eliminating a relevant and legally obtained piece of evidence from a trial and then asking people to forget about it and consider the remainder of the facts. No exception should be made in the middle of the year period IMO (many people I think would agree with this), BUT if there was an unavoidably terrible rule that "had" to be changed (which would involve a major oversight by all owners at season's beginning anyway), then it would take a unanimous vote to do so.

Therefore it is not "right" and should not be done for a number of reasons in this specific case IMO...
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner