Do players deserve their Salaries? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do players deserve their Salaries?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Do players deserve their Salaries?

Postby hot4tx » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:56 pm

They're the best at what they do and what sells is people watching the best play. So while players might not do 100x the work of a ditch digger to "earn" their money, MLB teams wouldn't make money with Ralph the ditch digger manning first for them. The fact that they are the best at something that brings in big dollars causes the demand for their services to be worth the money they make.

In my line of work there are some folks I've met and/or worked with that don't deserve the money they make. Usually they hop from job to job but it's a field in high demand where a limited number of people can or will do what we do, so they will easily find job after job for a while before they have been canned enough times that they get a lower pay or no job at also. This is what happens to those same sorts in pro sports - they bounce around for a while until they change or they stop getting jobs.

Also like in pro sports the money we make pales in comparison to the ridiculous money the owners or corporate officers make.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:59 pm

Another thing is, Ralph the ditch digger doesn't have to go practicing digging ditches when he's not working. There is an inordinate amout of work these guys put in that we never see...

Well, maybe not Bartolo Colon, but most other players...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Spartans Rule » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:10 pm

bdrotoronto wrote:Capitalism is a system that helps create winners and losers. Salaries are not linked to social worth/utility for anyone. Is it fair that a mediocre baseball player makes more than a doctor? Probably not. But on the other hand it's not really meant to be fair. As soon as you get over the notion that it ought to be, you will be much more at ease with things.

That's not true. They're very much linked to social utility. The difference is the scope of their work.

Suppose I asked you this... who has done more to improve your life: a heart surgeon in Cincinnati or Yadier Molina?

I'd answer Yadier Molina. He's entertained me by playing baseball, at least in a small way. The surgeon hasn't done anything for me.

Millions of baseball fans across the country would answer the question the same way, and the salaries reflect that.

Now if you live in Cincinnati and your arteries are blocked, then the surgeon's services are FAR more valuable to you than watching Mr. Molina throw out would-be basestealers.

People certainly look at life-saving as a more noble activity than playing baseball, and rightfully so. But at some point, entertaining millions is worth more to society than saving a handful of lives.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:23 pm

Spartans Rule wrote:But at some point, entertaining millions is worth more to society than saving a handful of lives.

I'll respectfully disagree.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby JasonSeahorn » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:29 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Spartans Rule wrote:But at some point, entertaining millions is worth more to society than saving a handful of lives.

In terms of keeping a society together I'd agree with Spartans Rule. Although there are many differences between our society and something like the Romans, I think a similarity can still be drawn. The Romans (one of the Emperors, I forget which) used Gladiator games as a way of keeping the public from criticizing him and preventing a possible revolt from the people/Senate. The people also didn't notice how much of Rome's money/supplies went into supporting the games because the people were enthralled by them. Modern people aren't like the Romans, but if watching sports is a way to entertain the public instead of them using the time to closely examine things like problems in the government, the sports figures are doing their jobs well.

Again, there are tons of differences between our society and the Romans, but that underlying principle of professional sport can be seen IMO.
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:12 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

In terms of keeping a society together I'd agree with Spartans Rule. Although there are many differences between our society and something like the Romans, I think a similarity can still be drawn. The Romans (one of the Emperors, I forget which) used Gladiator games as a way of keeping the public from criticizing him and preventing a possible revolt from the people/Senate. The people also didn't notice how much of Rome's money/supplies went into supporting the games because the people were enthralled by them. Modern people aren't like the Romans, but if watching sports is a way to entertain the public instead of them using the time to closely examine things like problems in the government, the sports figures are doing their jobs well.

Again, there are tons of differences between our society and the Romans, but that underlying principle of professional sport can be seen IMO.

Completely agree with the line of reasoning, and assume that he meant similarly, but still disagree in the worth to society with respect to saving 'a handful' of lives.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby JTWood » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:36 pm

I don't believe this thread is asking the appropriate question.

The correct question should be "Does baseball deserve to have this much money in it?"

The players are just grabbing their chunk of the pie that we baked for them. Don't blame them for being logical. If there's a perception that players make too much money, it's because we fund baseball to the extent we do. So, I ask you, does baseball really deserve all the money we give it?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:03 am

JTWood wrote:I don't believe this thread is asking the appropriate question.

The correct question should be "Does baseball deserve to have this much money in it?"

The players are just grabbing their chunk of the pie that we baked for them. Don't blame them for being logical. If there's a perception that players make too much money, it's because we fund baseball to the extent we do. So, I ask you, does baseball really deserve all the money we give it?

Yes
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby JTWood » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:06 am

AussieDodger wrote:

Yes

Alright, cool. Thanks. Now that we've settled that...

Let's go ahead and close this thread up. ;-D

;-7
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:13 am

JTWood wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:

Yes

Alright, cool. Thanks. Now that we've settled that...

Let's go ahead and close this thread up. ;-D

;-7

What other entertainment is there that is there for you every single day for like 7 months, and the "characters" are actually real people?
And a lot of the people watching the entertainment have a multi-generational interest in it.
Of course baseball deserves all that dough. ;-D

Thanks for your sarcasm, it's a really a new direction in comedy for you.
;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 ;-7
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers