Do players deserve their Salaries? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do players deserve their Salaries?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Do players deserve their Salaries?

Postby hybrid » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:31 am

Simply put, it depends ... but mostly no, no they don't. But then again nothing about salaries, seat prices, food, and merchandise should be that way either ... but it is. Makes you feel your in the wrong business eh? Well if your a greedy person anyways.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby curious_george_43545 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:52 am

With all the travel, having to stay in shape, being a target for insults/crimes etc. it's a harder job than when people complain and say "they get paid millions to play a game". Do they deserve millions of dollars though to play baseball? Well, no, if you look at it that teachers, policemen, firemen, people in the armed forces, etc. make far less money and are more important in our society. However, usually only the extremely talented make the huge money and that's what the economy dictates that make so.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:02 am

NorthSider2 wrote:I just can't seem to imagen getting payed to play baseball, but some guys don't hustle. I get the whole supply and demand idea, but these guys are like OLD little leaguers because they get to play baseball everyday (except off-season) and get payed to do it. But yet some don't even hustle day in day out. I just think the players see $$ more than actually playing the game (some cases)

I can't stand this argument. It may have something to do with the fact that my job is one that most people think they would enjoy, and I often have people tell me they'd do it for free, or I must have fun at work, etc. To you, they "get" to play baseball everyday. To them, it's a job and they "have" to play baseball everyday. I'm sure most of them enjoy it more than digging a ditch, but it's still what keeps them away from their families, their homes, and spending time pursuing their own interests rather than their careers. They might think you're lucky because you get weekends off, and holidays, but then some weekends you don't even take your kid fishing, you sit around the house watching baseball.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby great gretzky » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:09 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
NorthSider2 wrote:I just can't seem to imagen getting payed to play baseball, but some guys don't hustle. I get the whole supply and demand idea, but these guys are like OLD little leaguers because they get to play baseball everyday (except off-season) and get payed to do it. But yet some don't even hustle day in day out. I just think the players see $$ more than actually playing the game (some cases)

I can't stand this argument. It may have something to do with the fact that my job is one that most people think they would enjoy, and I often have people tell me they'd do it for free, or I must have fun at work, etc. To you, they "get" to play baseball everyday. To them, it's a job and they "have" to play baseball everyday. I'm sure most of them enjoy it more than digging a ditch, but it's still what keeps them away from their families, their homes, and spending time pursuing their own interests rather than their careers. They might think you're lucky because you get weekends off, and holidays, but then some weekends you don't even take your kid fishing, you sit around the house watching baseball.

Yea its like working in a candy store. You get awfully sick of it after a while. And I imagine the press, an a-hole manger, stupid fans, etc. suck the joy right out of it.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:15 am

It's just like everything else in life. Grass is always greener on the other side.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby NorthSider2 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:04 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

I understand that it's there job but when you say "spending time pursuing their own interests rather than their career" it makes it sound like they don't want to play. My whole argument is that when players complain, don't hustle, and forget what they do, it irritates because their job is the National Pastime and getting payed for it. It just seems ridiculous for some players making as much as do just for a game. Don't get me wrong, I love baseball, but I think money gets in the way sometimes
Thanks to soty for the sweet sig

Go Cubs
NorthSider2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:20 pm

NorthSider2 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

I understand that it's there job but when you say "spending time pursuing their own interests rather than their career" it makes it sound like they don't want to play. My whole argument is that when players complain, don't hustle, and forget what they do, it irritates because their job is the National Pastime and getting payed for it. It just seems ridiculous for some players making as much as do just for a game. Don't get me wrong, I love baseball, but I think money gets in the way sometimes

Sometimes? MLB is a business first. It's not the same as you playing baseball with a bunch of your friends in your backyard.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:30 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I can't stand this argument. It may have something to do with the fact that my job is one that most people think they would enjoy, and I often have people tell me they'd do it for free, or I must have fun at work, etc. To you, they "get" to play baseball everyday. To them, it's a job and they "have" to play baseball everyday. I'm sure most of them enjoy it more than digging a ditch, but it's still what keeps them away from their families, their homes, and spending time pursuing their own interests rather than their careers. They might think you're lucky because you get weekends off, and holidays, but then some weekends you don't even take your kid fishing, you sit around the house watching baseball.

Exactly.

Let me repeat for the folks at home...........

AussieDodger wrote:
NorthSider2 wrote:Do players deserve their Salaries?

Yes

;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby moochman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:17 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

This is one of the reasons I dislike comparing athletes lifestyles with the general public-we can't put ourselves in their shoes. Think of it like this: Were a ballplayer to come home everyday and spend their off-time with the general public you probably couldn't get them to shut up about how great they have it. But they don't hang with the gen-pub, they hang with other athletes. Living in a world of equals and in doing so they do what many of us do-compare their lot to those of their comtemporaries. So they try and get more money and they complain. The money and status is all relative. For the most part they exhibit the same behavior as the general public, but the public perceives their lives to be so grand that complaining or wanting to be paid more is unthinkable. Don't hate the players, hate....
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tavish » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:19 pm

Basically every ballplayer except for Tony Pena Jr deserve their salary.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers