Any Runners in here? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Any Runners in here?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Any Runners in here?

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:27 am

I ran track and cross country in high school and my freshman year of college. My dad was a great runner in college so I was kind of following in his footsteps. I know he got a great kick out of watching me run for his alma mater.

But two torn ACLs in the last year have basically ended my running days. I know I'll never be able to get back into it before I graduate in college, but I hope to start running regularly again some day. I'm really missing it right now. :,-(

I'm far enough along in my recovery so that I can bike regularly now, but it's just not the same.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:37 pm

I ran the Toronto Waterfront Marathon today. 4 hours 15 minutes. A good 25 mins below my best but I ran it on a sprained foot.

Man am I ever in pain. Everything hurts.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Metroid » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:28 pm

You ran on a sprained foot? Or you sprained your foot during the run? Either way that sounds awful. I ran cross country in high school for one year...I didn't really even like running, I just did it to get close to a girl. These days the furthest I run is to the fridge for a beer. :-B

Good job shaving 25 mins off your best on a bum leg. ;-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:33 pm

Metroid wrote:You ran on a sprained foot? Or you sprained your foot during the run? Either way that sounds awful. I ran cross country in high school for one year...I didn't really even like running, I just did it to get close to a girl. These days the furthest I run is to the fridge for a beer. :-B

Sorry, I meant to say 25 mins worse than my best, which is 3:50.
I sprained my foot 3 weeks ago playing soccer with the kids. It was huge swollen and purple. It was still a little swollen today, right now I can't put any weight on it.
Everything hurts. The last hour of the marathon was an exercise in trying not to puke.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Metroid » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:39 pm

Ah I see. Well only 25 minutes longer isn't bad at all for having a bum leg. Hopefully you're felling better soon. ;-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:13 pm

I'm sure your Pythagorean time was right in line once you account for variance in ankle health.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:32 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Metroid wrote:You ran on a sprained foot? Or you sprained your foot during the run? Either way that sounds awful. I ran cross country in high school for one year...I didn't really even like running, I just did it to get close to a girl. These days the furthest I run is to the fridge for a beer. :-B

Sorry, I meant to say 25 mins worse than my best, which is 3:50.
I sprained my foot 3 weeks ago playing soccer with the kids. It was huge swollen and purple. It was still a little swollen today, right now I can't put any weight on it.
Everything hurts. The last hour of the marathon was an exercise in trying not to puke.

I'm right there with you man. I got a little run coming up with the kid for charity and I don't know how my ankle will hold up. Running is an evil thing. I sprained my ankle really bad months ago and it's lingered and it's chronically tender. Shakes when I walk down stairs. Sucks. Not sure what to do or if there's anything I can do about it.

For anyone getting into running at a young age, STRETCH!, and when your body says stop or slow down, DO IT! Any injuries, not matter how small they may seem, tend to them. Mookie, let it heal man. I don't think you're a young man anymore, but that'll hurt in the future nonetheless if you don't let it heal. I'm a limping billboard against competitive running as a youth. If you choose to do so, be very careful with everything, especially those little aches and pains. They're telling you something you'll hear loud and clear when you're older.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:35 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:I'm sure your Pythagorean time was right in line once you account for variance in ankle health.

Yes, but Mookie was running in the Toronto West, which is by far the weakest marathon. :-?
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby ironman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:13 am

I started running a couple months ago. I was getting to be severely out of shape. I'm just running a mile right now. The goal is to be running a 5K next spring.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:31 am

Had a benefit run Saturday morning with the kid and felt surprisingly well.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk