Any Runners in here? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Any Runners in here?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Any Runners in here?

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:32 am

Has anyone here accomplished what I'm trying to accomplish? I've been a mediocre runner with little endurance my entire life (think a 8:30-9:00 mile on average, best recorded was 7:30), and I'm trying to post a sub-6:30 time at least by the end of this summer. Is this possible? Has anyone here gone from a mediocre runner to a good runner, or do you just have to be built for it? And is there hope of improving my mile time by a solid minute by the end of the summer, or is that just a pipe dream? I'm trying to run 1.5 miles+ per day, plus 45 minutes of cardio work on a cheap Stairmaster.

I ran a 1:20 quarter mile today, but I was severely winded at the end. Is there hope for me yet?
Last edited by Neato Torpedo on Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby abrage22 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:36 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:Has anyone here accomplished what I'm trying to accomplish? I've been a mediocre runner with little endurance my entire life (think a 8:30-9:00 mile on average, best recorded was 7:30), and I'm trying to post a sub-6:30 time at least by the end of this summer. Is this possible? Has anyone here gone from a mediocre runner to a good runner, or do you just have to be built for it?

I ran a 1:20 quarter mile today, but I was severely winded at the end. Is there hope for me yet?

dude, im just like u, im mediocre, in xc i usually finish around middle i'd say. im going to train hard to become good, hopefully contend for a top ten or something. i think it'd be possible. only advice would just to run daily, do uphill, then non-hill will seem like a breeze. ik im going to start training soon (i better :-o ) good luck ;-D
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:02 am

I've always been a runner since middle school -- track, cross country. I still hold my high school record for a 123.2 600m run (indoor track), so that is fun. Everything else I was just competitive at ... 800m, cross country, etc.

Re: Shin Splints -- Here's a tip if you're suffering from these. In addition to all the above said, try running backwards for about a quarter mile. Go to the track and run a lap backwards. My coach in high school always had shin splint sufferers do this and it always seemed to help. I used to do it for shin splint prevention, haha. I believe it strengthens muscles that take pressure and stress away from the problem areas.

I also have coached cross country, which is pretty fun. I've run with the kids and it is humbling to see what even some age (I'm 26) can do to you. :-o
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:08 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:Has anyone here accomplished what I'm trying to accomplish? I've been a mediocre runner with little endurance my entire life (think a 8:30-9:00 mile on average, best recorded was 7:30), and I'm trying to post a sub-6:30 time at least by the end of this summer. Is this possible? Has anyone here gone from a mediocre runner to a good runner, or do you just have to be built for it? And is there hope of improving my mile time by a solid minute by the end of the summer, or is that just a pipe dream? I'm trying to run 1.5 miles+ per day, plus 45 minutes of cardio work on a cheap Stairmaster.

In order to run a 6:30 mile, you do not have to be naturally gifted, so it's definitely something you can/should set to accomplish. But you need to run more than 1.5 miles to get there with any reasonable success. I'd say you should be practicing at 4 miles to get to that time. The best method is to mix it up -- do mostly distance (once you've worked up to it, run 4 miles a day 3 days a week), and work in some speed (1 day a week, do some timed miles and quarter miles). That way you're built in a well-rounded fashion and you're always challenging your body to improve. MAKE SURE you rest at least 2 days a week. Rest is often as important as the workouts! If you don't give your body a chance to build and repair you're not helping yourself out. Good luck.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:33 am

OneLoveBoomer wrote:I've always been a runner since middle school -- that's when I met my wife.

Fixed ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:59 am

AussieDodger wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:I've always been a runner since middle school -- that's when I met my wife.

Fixed ;-D

Yeah, I never really liked running but she made me. She said "it was important to her that I stay slim." So I just said yes'm.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby NorthSider2 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:55 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Has anyone here accomplished what I'm trying to accomplish? I've been a mediocre runner with little endurance my entire life (think a 8:30-9:00 mile on average, best recorded was 7:30), and I'm trying to post a sub-6:30 time at least by the end of this summer. Is this possible? Has anyone here gone from a mediocre runner to a good runner, or do you just have to be built for it? And is there hope of improving my mile time by a solid minute by the end of the summer, or is that just a pipe dream? I'm trying to run 1.5 miles+ per day, plus 45 minutes of cardio work on a cheap Stairmaster.

In order to run a 6:30 mile, you do not have to be naturally gifted, so it's definitely something you can/should set to accomplish. But you need to run more than 1.5 miles to get there with any reasonable success. I'd say you should be practicing at 4 miles to get to that time. The best method is to mix it up -- do mostly distance (once you've worked up to it, run 4 miles a day 3 days a week), and work in some speed (1 day a week, do some timed miles and quarter miles). That way you're built in a well-rounded fashion and you're always challenging your body to improve. MAKE SURE you rest at least 2 days a week. Rest is often as important as the workouts! If you don't give your body a chance to build and repair you're not helping yourself out. Good luck.

Exactly ;-D Make sure you recover by eating 30 min to 2 hrs after you're done running. Also its key to do core training. You be surprised if you have a strong core, you won't get hurt as easy
Thanks to soty for the sweet sig

Go Cubs
NorthSider2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:45 pm

I really don't see the purpose in this. To get a good cardio workout you should be trying to keep your heart rate up for at least half an hour. Sprinting is not good cardio and can even be detrimental if you are otherwise not in good shape. Why not work on your endurance and try to get your times down for longer distances? Plus there are plenty of 10K runs, half marathons and marathons for amateurs but you're not going to find many, if any, amateur sprints out there.

Today I did 10mi in 1hr 35 mins so I'm on track to make my goal of an under 2 hr half in Sept. They're handing out timing chips for your shoes in this one so there will be official times posted on the website. I'll post the link to my time in this thread after the race.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby DbacksRback » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:48 pm

playing college baseball might as well of been running track sprints and miles every day and yes i get shin splints running for baseball

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:51 am

Mookie4ever wrote:

I really don't see the purpose in this. To get a good cardio workout you should be trying to keep your heart rate up for at least half an hour. Sprinting is not good cardio and can even be detrimental if you are otherwise not in good shape. Why not work on your endurance and try to get your times down for longer distances? Plus there are plenty of 10K runs, half marathons and marathons for amateurs but you're not going to find many, if any, amateur sprints out there.

Today I did 10mi in 1hr 35 mins so I'm on track to make my goal of an under 2 hr half in Sept. They're handing out timing chips for your shoes in this one so there will be official times posted on the website. I'll post the link to my time in this thread after the race.

1hour 59 minutes :-° Link

Now off to soak, then eating lots of pasta, then the Clone Wars with my son. ;-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk