Any Runners in here? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Any Runners in here?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Any Runners in here?

Postby Bwanna » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:52 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Excellent ;-D
Trail running with elevation changes sure makes it harder. Are you Glenn or Brian?

btw - what Garmin do you have? I've got the 405 and I hate it. Battery dies after 2 hours and it needs to be rebooted constantly. Started using my old 205 for races and in chicago I just used a regular ironman. I think that I've had it with garmin. Going to try something new, anything else.

I'm Glenn.

I have a Forerunner 305, and it's been rock-solid. Had it about 14 months. It's a little bigger than I'd prefer, but works like a champ and never had any battery issues. Ran a slow 19 this morning in a little over 3 hours, and it still had plenty of battery life.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 260)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:15 pm

Anybody ever use Vibram 5 fingers or some other type of "barefoot" runners?

Just got myself 2 pairs. One I am going to wear exclusively indoors and at the gym, the other pair I will start to use outside.
I am loving them right now. They feel absolutely awesome. Haven't tried to run in them yet because you are supposed to build up to it gradually but so far just wearing them around the house and gym is so comfortable and at the gym gives much better control than running shoes.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:40 pm

I bought these bad boys a few months ago and absolutely love them! They are mainly used for short walking trips, dinking around the house and non-running gym trips at this point and I've been nothing but ecstatic so far! I doubt I'd ever run in them or any of their kind, but I can see the allure for sure - pretty short adjustment period really, and I love the form-fitting feel once you get over the hump.
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Curtis Pride » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:24 pm

I'm old (37) and fat (5'10", 200 lbs with 100% body fat), and only started attempting to run 3-4 months ago.

I have a 7 mile race coming up on Sunday on Cape Cod that I got goaded into running. I haven't run more than 1-2 miles straight since high school when I played soccer. Just not a runner.

That said, I'm starting to get into it. I'm still slow. But when I started in May, I couldn't run a mile straight without getting stiches in my side.

I started running 1-2 miles a couple days a week, and then doing 7 miles every Saturday. I wouldn't "run" 7 miles, but I would jog a bit, then walk, then just keep going until I hit 7 miles. First time took me 2 hours. A month later, I was down to around 1 hour 40.

Race is this Sunday. I'm down to about an 8 minute mile, 3 miles in 30(ish) minutes, and 7 miles in around 1:15. I've been running outside in NYC either in Central Park or by the river. I can see myself sticking with it, but I don't see myself ever getting much better than around 10-11 minute miles at distance.

I'm probably running 15-20 miles a week.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:41 pm

Good luck. It's great when you get into and enjoy something that is good for you.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:53 am

I'm ridiculously out of shape, but just set a goal of competing in a triathalon sprint next year. I think it's in July or August or something. Not sure. Anyway, it's a 740 yard swim, 10 mile bike ride and 4.5 mile run. It's at a fairly high elevation (like 3,500 feet), but all three courses are out-and-backs or loops, so there is no elevation change in any event. And I live at about 4,500 feet, so the elevation shouldn't be a problem. The 4.5 mile run doesn't worry me. I don't know that I could go out right now and run 4.5 miles non-stop, but with about a year to train I expect to be at least around an eight or nine minute mile pace for that. The 10 mile bike ride doesn't concern me, and actually kind of seems like a joke. Ten miles on a bike? That's nothing. But the 740 yard swim is daunting. I can swim. I'm actually a decent swimmer. But I don't know that I've ever actually swam (swum?) more than, like, 100 yards at any given time. I don't even know what it's like to swim 740 yards. I might just give up and die. The lake is snow melt, so the water will probably be freezing ass cold and I won't be using a wetsuit, so that will only make it worse. Anyway, any swimmers out there who can put 740 yards into context? Like, for an average swimmer who has never really done any distance swimming, what's a reasonable time to expect? Forty-five minutes? An hour? Two days?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:42 am

A good swimmer will do an open water one km swim in under 20 minutes. A very good swimmer will be closer to 15 mins. An open water race is nothing like swimming in a pool. It's very difficult to breathe and get a good stroke going and the start is crazy. You get kicked and hit and you have no idea where you are. Make sure you have a swim cap, a nose clip and a very good secure set of goggles. If your goal is just to finish hang back at the start and let the rabbits all get out of your way before starting.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:49 pm

Toronto waterfront half marathon today in 1:41 in the rain. All set for Savannah in 3 weeks.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:30 pm

Savannah today in 3:52:25
What a beautiful town.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Bwanna » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:49 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Savannah today in 3:52:25
What a beautiful town.

Way to go!
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st