Any Runners in here? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Any Runners in here?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Any Runners in here?

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:13 pm

wake wrote:I think I'm going to try this 5k next. It sounds like fun.

http://runforyourlives.com/info/how-it-works/

Sounds gimmicky. Interesting concept but I bet that the reality will be disappointing.
The best known of these races is the Warrior Dash. It's pretty big and the people I know that have run this have had a lot of fun. A longer version is the Tough Mudder but I've never met anyone who has run it.
I'm interested in both but I've never found anyone to run it with me. Everyone is too worried about getting injured before a race.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bwanna » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:36 pm

Looks like a lot of fun. I had read about a similar one that happened back in 2010:
http://www.readthehook.com/66428/zombie ... ure-undead
runners can choose to be zombie or victim, with the latter wearing a flag-football style tag that, if captured by a zombie, signals the victim's death. After "death," the victim will visit one of several special roadside booths to be adorned with fake blood, at which time he or she will join the zombies in running after the remaining "victims."
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby Bwanna » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:09 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

Sounds gimmicky. Interesting concept but I bet that the reality will be disappointing.
The best known of these races is the Warrior Dash. It's pretty big and the people I know that have run this have had a lot of fun. A longer version is the Tough Mudder but I've never met anyone who has run it.
I'm interested in both but I've never found anyone to run it with me. Everyone is too worried about getting injured before a race.

I'm planning to do the Warrior Dash in late September. I'm also planning to run a marathon (again) in late November. :-o
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Very hot conditions today in Chicago. Never seen so many people collapsed at the side or taken away by ambulance. Tough conditions but I managed 3 hours and 58 minutes. Got a little dehydrated and spent an hour in a medical tent at the end but all is good now. Toughest race I have ever done. Didn't meet a single person that hit their goal time.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:51 pm

Just ran a 5K this morning that ended in the Big House. I got to jump up and hit the banner like the football players so when they run onto the field. Truly a great atmosphere and an awesome morning ;-D

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bwanna » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:29 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Very hot conditions today in Chicago. Never seen so many people collapsed at the side or taken away by ambulance. Tough conditions but I managed 3 hours and 58 minutes. Got a little dehydrated and spent an hour in a medical tent at the end but all is good now. Toughest race I have ever done. Didn't meet a single person that hit their goal time.

Great job, Mook.

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Just ran a 5K this morning that ended in the Big House. I got to jump up and hit the banner like the football players so when they run onto the field. Truly a great atmosphere and an awesome morning ;-D

Sounds pretty cool.

I ran a local Warrior Dash a couple of weekends ago, and had a lot of fun. Obstacles were silly - only real obstacles were people had who no intention of racing and the 800 ft ascension over the course of the race. Coming down from that height totally out of control over the last tenth of a mile was a rush.
[reg season/playoffs]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:39 pm

Man dies 500 meters from finish line of Chicago marathon
This happened right in front of me. I saw the commotion near the finish line and saw the paramedics attending him. Didn't think much of it because I saw it a number of times on the course and also I was kind of in a zone at the time. Sad to hear that he died though. Healthy 35 yr old fireman with two kids under 5. ugh
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Bwanna » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:41 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Man dies 500 meters from finish line of Chicago marathon
This happened right in front of me. I saw the commotion near the finish line and saw the paramedics attending him. Didn't think much of it because I saw it a number of times on the course and also I was kind of in a zone at the time. Sad to hear that he died though. Healthy 35 yr old fireman with two kids under 5. ugh

Read about that. Apparently this guy was marathon veteran of sorts as well.

Did you happen to see this woman?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ch ... 2495.story

Amber Miller was nearly 39 weeks pregnant -- expecting her second child any day -- when she set off from the starting line of the Chicago Marathon Sunday.

She ran and walked even as contractions started kicking in toward the end of the race. But she managed to cross the finish line -- and grab a bite to eat -- before giving birth to baby girl June Sunday night.

"I got the OK from my doctor to run half, and my husband ran with me and supported me along the way," Miller told WGN-Channel 9 from her bed at Central DuPage Hospital. "I ran half and walked half, that's how I finished.

"Everybody just kind of stared as I'm running by.”

Miller said she had been running throughout her pregnancy and marathon officials did not discourage her.

"Nobody tried to do that," she said. "It wasn't too bad, you know? I have been running all the way up until this point anyway so I'm kind of used to it."

She finished the marathon in 6 hours, 25 minutes and 50 seconds. Not her personal best, but she did beat her husband.

“Without training for it, he actually got a little bit behind,” Miller said. “But he was out there with me.”

Miller said the contractions started out "just randomly” during the race.

“But I think just from running throughout the pregnancy, I’d usually get a contraction here or there anyway,” she said. “But then, a few minutes after I finished, I started feeling the contractions and they were coming every five minutes. So I think we waited an hour or so just to kind of make sure it was real labor. They were pretty consistent at that point.”

After grabbing a sandwich, she headed for the hospital and June was born at 10:29 p.m. Seven pounds, 13 ounces.

Asked if she was going back to work today, Miller laughed and said, "No, I will not. I'm taking it easy today."
[reg season/playoffs]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:19 pm

No, that's the first I've heard of that. I can't imagine somebody doing that. Pretty stupid to be running in that heat pregnant. But I'm not really one to talk, I've kind of made myself sick with the dehydration. Taking today off work and still can't really walk down stairs. You still planning a marathon bwanna?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Bwanna » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:12 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:No, that's the first I've heard of that. I can't imagine somebody doing that. Pretty stupid to be running in that heat pregnant. But I'm not really one to talk, I've kind of made myself sick with the dehydration. Taking today off work and still can't really walk down stairs. You still planning a marathon bwanna?

This is the second year I've registered for a fall marathon, and the second year I've had to drop back to a half due to injury. It will be my fourth half. Hopefully next year, possibly in the spring instead of the fall.
[reg season/playoffs]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk