Any Runners in here? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Any Runners in here?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any Runners in here?

Postby NorthSider2 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:35 am

Does anyone run for a team ie: High School, College, U.S. Olympic team ;-) ? Or just some casual joggers?

What type of times you guys putting up?
Thanks to soty for the sweet sig

Go Cubs
NorthSider2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Any Runners in here?

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:42 am

Who are you running from?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:49 am

Ran track and cross country in high school (10 years ago :-° ). My PRs in track were 52.6 (400), 2:01 (800), 4:46 (mile), 10:05 (2 mile).
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:16 pm

I used to run a lot until I got shin splints. Training and a chiropractor have helped me get over them and I started running again last year. I'm doing a half marathon on Sept 28. Hoping to get in under 2 hours. Training right now I can do 6mi in just under an hour. After 6 I drop under a 10 min mile. My goals are to do a full marathon next year and ultimately I hope to one day qualify for Boston - since the NHL is out of the question that's my new dream.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby markj11 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:05 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I used to run a lot until I got shin splints. Training and a chiropractor have helped me get over them and I started running again last year. I'm doing a half marathon on Sept 28. Hoping to get in under 2 hours. Training right now I can do 6mi in just under an hour. After 6 I drop under a 10 min mile. My goals are to do a full marathon next year and ultimately I hope to one day qualify for Boston - since the NHL is out of the question that's my new dream.

Any tips on the shin splints?
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:11 pm

markj11 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:I used to run a lot until I got shin splints. Training and a chiropractor have helped me get over them and I started running again last year. I'm doing a half marathon on Sept 28. Hoping to get in under 2 hours. Training right now I can do 6mi in just under an hour. After 6 I drop under a 10 min mile. My goals are to do a full marathon next year and ultimately I hope to one day qualify for Boston - since the NHL is out of the question that's my new dream.

Stretching, stretching and more stretching.
And training. Work your way up. Don't just jump into a 10K if you're not used to it, even if you're in great shape. You have to work your way into a long distance run or else you'll get shin splints and other leg injuries.

But stretching is the most important factor.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby NorthSider2 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:19 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
markj11 wrote:

Stretching, stretching and more stretching.
And training. Work your way up. Don't just jump into a 10K if you're not used to it, even if you're in great shape. You have to work your way into a long distance run or else you'll get shin splints and other leg injuries.

But stretching is the most important factor.

Stretching is huge. Also shin splints comes from over training. So take it easy some times. Also icing helps a lot.
Thanks to soty for the sweet sig

Go Cubs
NorthSider2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:03 pm

When I had chin splints it was wierd because they only hurt when I was jogging and a little while I was walking, but I barely felt them when I was running full out or sprinting. Needless to say, I didn't jog much. I can still feel them occasionally. I run a mile nearly every day, but keep a pretty quick pace since I'm afraid they'll come back if I take it too easy.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:54 pm

NorthSider2 wrote: Stretching is huge. Also shin splints comes from over training. So take it easy some times. Also icing helps a lot.

Bingo - nothing beats a steady regimin of stretching and icing regularly (as well as inactivity to let those puppies heal) when it comes to shin splints...

Have you ever tried using a direct method of icing, like freezing water in Dixie cups? After they are fully frozen, you can tear off the edges slowly and run the ice up and down your shins for 10ish minutes at a time, 3-5 times a day, for the best direct results.

Also, as far as stretching, the best stretch to relieve pain/irritation, while strengthening the lower legs, is to walk backwards, while pulling your toes towards your body with each stride. You should feel a good pull/stretch, and you'll know the exercise is working ;-D
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:55 pm

shin splints suck :-t
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk