Weeks' Average - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Weeks' Average

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Weeks' Average

Postby BigTex24 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:40 pm

Why does he hit for such a low avg? Wasn't he a real solid overall hitter in the minors?
BigTex24
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Weeks' Average

Postby Fallout » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:18 pm

I'd have to check, but I believe he was around a .270-ish hitter in the minors. Not awful, but Howie Kendrick, he ain't. Now, some of this might just be bad luck, but we have to face the fact that he just isn't going to hit for a high avg--but he will put up some nice power and speed numbers at 2B.
Fallout
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pangbones » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:44 am

His babip is right around .200. He's been unlucky. I was hoping for something around .270 this year, but I'd settle for .250 now. He walks alot so that helps some, but I'm banking on him getting hot. He's been a solid 2B with his low avg, if he can put together some sort of hot streak he can be very good!! I get a stiffy thinking about him getting hot, and maybe that is my problem. :-B Maybe I just think he's better than he really is. But if he's gonna sink my ship, I'm going down with it!! ;-)
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:07 am

pangbones wrote:His babip is right around .200. He's been unlucky. I was hoping for something around .270 this year, but I'd settle for .250 now. He walks alot so that helps some, but I'm banking on him getting hot. He's been a solid 2B with his low avg, if he can put together some sort of hot streak he can be very good!! I get a stiffy thinking about him getting hot, and maybe that is my problem. :-B Maybe I just think he's better than he really is. But if he's gonna sink my ship, I'm going down with it!! ;-)

he is a good player, but i doubt he ever hits for a high average. but he does walk a good deal, so that helps, but i cant put him on higher than a .270 type guy with good power and a ton of speed.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fierro33 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:28 am

in 400 ab's he hit 235 last year........that a pretty telling sign
fierro33
General Manager
General Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 210)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:50 am

He's like the old time 2B. Dirt low average, but no one focuses on that.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby jfg » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:12 am

He'll have a huge year one sooner or later, but he's been unlucky too much to call it unlucky. BABIP is telling but some guys just can't place a ball. I concede that the league average probably rectifies that a little, but if you're going to hit for close to .300 consistently, a player needs to know what to do with a pitch and I don't know if Weeks can do that at a major league level. The power and speed will always be there but I don't know if he has hitter skills. But, some year he'll hit around .270-.280 because those balls start falling. That's the thing with BABIP, you're one of three things... unlucky, lucky or a good hitter and sometimes good hitters are placed in the lucky category. When Weeks has a lucky year he's going to be gold because the power and speed are definitely there.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:37 am

fierro33 wrote:in 400 ab's he hit 235 last year........that a pretty telling sign

not really. especially not having a pretty significant wrist injury.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby freeling_prideful » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:07 am

A few factors contributing to his low BABIP...

1) This season he has a line drive rate of under 14%. A rough formula is that BABIP should be LD% + 12%, so that adds up to an expected BABIP of under .260. He's at .232 now, so it's not like he's been THAT unlucky. Even with his expected BABIP, he'd be a .220 hitter.

2) Weeks has a high rate of IF/FB. In other words, he has a loopy uppercut swing which produces a fair share of pop-ups--15% of his flyballs are pop-ups every single year, which isn't very good (in contrast, check out Michael Young and Derek Jeter, who consistently maintain a rate of around 5-6%). People who hit more pop-ups tend to have lower BABIPs, since they are putting the ball in play but in a way that is virtually guaranteed to be an out.

Overall, I am very skeptical that Weeks will ever learn to consistently hit for average. Like an earlier poster said, one of these years he might get lucky and hit .280. But that's a pretty terrible reason to draft him--"Oh, if this is the year where he enjoys a mathematically improbable run of luck, then this will be a great pick!"
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Triplec223 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:29 am

Just for the record, Weeks holds the NCAA career batting average record. He hit .465 (254-for-546) in his college days at Southern U.

Then again, Khalil Greene is second on the NCAA single season list with a .470 average in his senior year.
Triplec223
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers