I have a specific question about how Yahoo leagues work. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I have a specific question about how Yahoo leagues work.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I have a specific question about how Yahoo leagues work.

Postby Scott Time » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:00 am

particularly the thing where in most leagues you update your lineups daily.

So say I piled up my bench with starting pitchers, I could literally make sure every pitcher I used started every day ? And pile up wins from a dozen pitchers in a week ? That kind of sucks.
Scott Time
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:21 am

That's why a lot of leagues like using an IP limit. :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Scott Time » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:30 am

well, I'm talking about head-to-head leagues. Does that still apply. Could I have endless pitchers running up wins and strikeouts ?
Scott Time
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:44 am

If your league has neither IP limits (weekly or season) nor transaction limits, you could indeed do just that (probably at the cost of ERA and WHIP). It's not that uncommon a ploy, but many leagues consider it to be against the spirit of the game and add limits.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Scott Time » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:21 am

well, I made the lineups weekly in the one I run. But it seems like most go daily.
Scott Time
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby prodpaul » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:27 am

I personally like daily leagues with an innings limit. We have done 1300 the last two years and that seems to work well.

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Scott Time » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:30 am

There's no way to do that on a head-to-head league though.
Scott Time
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ramble2 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:04 pm

In H2H leagues you can set min. IP limit for each week.

The way to undercut the 'churning' strategy you describe is to set the pitching categories to ratios instead of counting. It would be as simple as changing 'Ks' to 'K/9'.

classic categories: Wins, Ks, ERA, WHIP, Saves

ratio categories: Wins, K/9, ERA, WHIP, Saves

When using the churning strategy you typically sacrifice ERA and WHIP in order to win Wins and Ks. If you change from Ks to K/9 then churning will most likely result in you sacrificing 3 categories in order to win 1.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 66)

Postby swoosh3esq » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:54 pm

We had a similar problem in our head to head leagues the last two years. This year we are placing a roster moves restriction once the season starts. Becasue we want to have unlimited roster moves before the season starts, our commish is just going to monitor the number of transactions that each team makes after the start of the season. Not really that hard to do.

Like a previous poster stated, you could change k's to some ratio involving k's like k/0 or k/bb. We tried this last year using both k's and k/bb, and didnt' work all that well. Another suggestion would be to add losses and walks as negative categories. Therefore, if a team want to flex pitchers everyday, the team would likely win k's and wins, but likely lose losses and walks, and also likely to lose era and whip. Still not ideal as it basically just makes some of the pitching a wash and therefore putting an emphasis on hitting, it is one way of reducing the incentive to flex pitchers everyday
swoosh3esq
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Mordraken » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:22 pm

I don't think this is as much an issue as you might think. The reason is that the players on your team will probably be better than the people available in the free agent market. If they're not, then you're probably not winning anyway.

So let's say you get to the 5th day in the week (Friday) and realize you're down by 2 wins, and all your starters won't be starting on the weekend. Do you drop 4 of your pitchers to pick up 4 pitchers that will be starting? I doubt it, since the other teams in the league would jump all over the people you dropped.

And if you're planning on rotating 2 pitching "slots" by droping a person each day, the quality of pitcher you'd be adding would be atrocious. Think people like Brett Tomko (5.28 ERA, 1.52 WHIP, 13 wins), Jason Johnson (4.18 ERA, 1.56 WHIP, 10 wins) and so on. Yes, you MIGHT pick up a win or 3-4 extra Ks, but you'll be losing in WHIP and ERA. Plus, if you don't get the win, you're going to be tanking in 4 of the 5 pitching categories.

Basically you're suggesting fielding a large pitching staff made up of players that nobody else wants on their team...
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers