The Week Of Scape-goatery Continues............ - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Week Of Scape-goatery Continues............

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Gibbons to be fired

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:52 pm

JP diverts attention, fires Gibbons, hires Gaston...

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/stor ... eball/home

Scapegoat!!!

The Jays get swept by former GM Gord Ash's Brewers, and JP got blasted by the national media for his comments about Adam Dunn.
I understand that this was probably talked about for a while, but the timing couldn't be better to do this right now for JP.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Gibbons to be fired

Postby rookies and cream » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:55 pm

Guzman24 wrote:LOL.....just noticed that I called Riccardi a clown, idiot and jackass all in one post ;-D :-b

Nice work ;-D
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Re: The Week Of Scape-goatery Continues............

Postby bdrotoronto » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:58 pm

WOOHOO!!!.. ;-D I didn't think Gibbons was horrible, but he was there long enough to prove that he wasn't part of the solution either. The best part is that J.P. MUST BE NEXT!!!!.. THERE ARE NO MORE SCAPEGOATS FOR HIM!!! Image

I think this move (finally) has the fingermarks of upper management, I don't think these were JP's choices. I just don't see Cito as a JP kind of guy. Cito was famous around here for saying he couldn't win with a team of lousy players.. and that's pretty much what's he's been given here. But I think his hiring is more symbolic than anything else, i.e. bring in someone from the glory days who the fans associate with good times and winning.
Just as importantly, the firing of the other coaches is excellent. Gary Denbo was an absolute disaster as hitting coach this year, he couldn't be shown the door fast enough. But I'm sure JP didn't want to fire him because he already fired two hitting coaches in recent years and Denbo was his hand-picked guy. Pevey was an awful 3rd base coach who made a lot of errors this year, and Whitt was overmatched as bench coach last year, so had already been demoted once back to 1st base coach this year. The whole culture of the organization has to be changed--CLEAN THEM ALL OUT!!!!.. :-)
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:28 pm

I guess I'm not as happy about it as you. It's a sign that Godfrey is still absolutely content with JP, and is pretty much a PR move to appease most fans.

The players were the real problem.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby bdrotoronto » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:45 pm

mweir145 wrote:I guess I'm not as happy about it as you. It's a sign that Godfrey is still absolutely content with JP, and is pretty much a PR move to appease most fans.

I agree, Godfrey's refusal to fire JP so far does concern me. But it's pretty rare for GM's to get fired in mid-season, and Gibbons and Denbo were both major JP guys who he supported through thick and thin, so the fact they're gone suggests to me Godfrey or Rogers were involved in these decisions in a major way--i.e. things are not good enough, and J.P. is presumably on thinner ice than ever. None of his puppets are left on the coaching staff. One good thing I'll say for Cito, he was very much never a puppet for anyone. Listening to the press conference right now, it's pretty clear that they're Cito's coaches and J.P. doesn't know very much about them, and will actually have to learn about them over time.
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:01 pm

I certainly have no problem with Cito and the coaching staff...I mean how can things really get worse, but I don't see how this will make the team suddenly good. They still have guys like Wilkerson and Mench on the team, and Alex Rios is still going through the worst season I've ever seen by a talented player.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby bdrotoronto » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:14 pm

mweir145 wrote:I certainly have no problem with Cito and the coaching staff...I mean how can things really get worse, but I don't see how this will make the team suddenly good.

It probably doesn't--Cito went on record many times that he can't make magic with inferior lineups, and the team's records from 1995-97 are pretty good evidence of that. The teams that Cito won the World Series with were very significantly better than this one. The good news though is that if the team falters the rest of the way, JP will almost certainly be the one to take the fall.
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers