Shilling done for year and probably career - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Shilling done for year and probably career

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Shilling done for year and probably career

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:58 am

KCollins1304 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:and the cool-aid sock game.

Bah :-t
Give him a break.

Seriously, it was ketchup, not kool-aid

I thought it was paint... :-?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:08 pm

Yoda wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:Bah :-t
Give him a break.

Seriously, it was ketchup, not kool-aid

I thought it was paint... :-?

You race car drivers are just jealous. X-I
:-{ :-{ <----- You.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:47 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Schilling has had a fine career, but the only things that really separate him from a handful of other very good, but not great pitchers of his generation are his exposure off the field and the cool-aid sock game.

Agreed. Even WEEI, the Boston sports talk radio station is pretty skeptical about whether or not he deserves to be a hall of famer...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:12 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Schilling has had a fine career, but the only things that really separate him from a handful of other very good, but not great pitchers of his generation are his exposure off the field and the cool-aid sock game.

Kool-aid turns brown after awhile?
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Tavish » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:44 pm

I'm really on the fence when it comes to Schilling being in the Hall. He has an impressive resume that is missing a couple of the key ingredients that I usually look for when I think of a Hall of Famer.

A. Has he ever been the best player in the league at his position. This is a tough draw for Schilling considering he has matched up against a couple sure-fire Hall of Famers his entire career, but no Cy-Youngs, no ERA titles, no ERA+ titles, and only 2 times did he lead the league in K's, Wins, or WHIP.

B. Is he the most qualified from his generation that isn't a sure-fire Hall of Famer. If you eliminate Clemens, RJ, Pedro, Maddux, and Glavine whom I consider the sure-fire guys from this generation then that leaves only Smoltz as his competition. Between those two I would definitely give the nod to Smoltz.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby decoy562 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:05 am

Tavish wrote:I'm really on the fence when it comes to Schilling being in the Hall. He has an impressive resume that is missing a couple of the key ingredients that I usually look for when I think of a Hall of Famer.

A. Has he ever been the best player in the league at his position. This is a tough draw for Schilling considering he has matched up against a couple sure-fire Hall of Famers his entire career, but no Cy-Youngs, no ERA titles, no ERA+ titles, and only 2 times did he lead the league in K's, Wins, or WHIP.

B. Is he the most qualified from his generation that isn't a sure-fire Hall of Famer. If you eliminate Clemens, RJ, Pedro, Maddux, and Glavine whom I consider the sure-fire guys from this generation then that leaves only Smoltz as his competition. Between those two I would definitely give the nod to Smoltz.

Even though I'm a homer here, Smoltz deserves to be in, and Schilling doesn't. Their stats are similar, but Smoltz has 154 saves on top of that.
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:06 am

RocketsDWM wrote:

Kool-aid turns brown after awhile?

No but red paint does.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby curious_george_43545 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:39 pm

decoy562 wrote:
Tavish wrote:I'm really on the fence when it comes to Schilling being in the Hall. He has an impressive resume that is missing a couple of the key ingredients that I usually look for when I think of a Hall of Famer.

Even though I'm a homer here, Smoltz deserves to be in, and Schilling doesn't. Their stats are similar, but Smoltz has 154 saves on top of that.

Yeah Smoltz defiantly should get in before Schilling, I think Schilling is just out if he doesn't play again, but hes close and if Smoltz gets in he has a chance.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:47 pm

decoy562 wrote:Even though I'm a homer here, Smoltz deserves to be in, and Schilling doesn't. Their stats are similar, but Smoltz has 154 saves on top of that.

I might be the only one, but I hate the arguement of....well Smoltz has 150 saves to go with it. Ummm so? That just means he wasn't good enough or healthy enough to be a starter during that time frame. Stick any HOF type of pitcher, or close to a HOF type pitcher, and he will more than likely be able to put up 150 plus saves and be dominate out of the pen. I don't consider that a plus on his record personally, its actually a step down, IMHO!

Anyway, I'm a little more picky with my HOF votes. I don't think i would vote Schilling or Smoltz in personally.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:56 pm

J35J wrote:
decoy562 wrote:Even though I'm a homer here, Smoltz deserves to be in, and Schilling doesn't. Their stats are similar, but Smoltz has 154 saves on top of that.

I might be the only one, but I hate the arguement of....well Smoltz has 150 saves to go with it. Ummm so? That just means he wasn't good enough or healthy enough to be a starter during that time frame. Stick any HOF type of pitcher, or close to a HOF type pitcher, and he will more than likely be able to put up 150 plus saves and be dominate out of the pen. I don't consider that a plus on his record personally, its actually a step down, IMHO!

Anyway, I'm a little more picky with my HOF votes. I don't think i would vote Schilling or Smoltz in personally.

I agree that saying smoltz has 150 saves isn't a good argument. A better argument would be that Schilling and Smoltz put up similar wins/ERA/WHIP/K numbers yet Smoltz spent 3+ years meddling around in relief. Would that be fair to say?
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers