Haren - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Haren

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Haren

Postby Guzman24 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:23 am

Should be expect his usual 2nd half regression this season or will this year be different?

Discuss
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Haren

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:48 am

Regression would be my guess but I wouldn't sell him low. Shop him around for comparable value.

I think the fact that he is new to the league has helped him also.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:56 am

I'm going to go ahead and say that there won't be much, if any, regression. He's in a better league for pitchers and is at a point in his career where he should really be settling in, IMO. Not to mention that in '04 and '05 he actually had better second halfs...though '04 numbers are mostly second half numbers....either way I think he'll continue to have a solid year this year.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby Giambis » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:59 am

Yoda wrote:Regression would be my guess but I wouldn't sell him low. Shop him around for comparable value.

I agree that he will regress from where he is. However, when looking at his regression from past years, I think we can argue that the regression won't be as severe. He's switched leagues, which helps, and he pitches in the worst offensive division in the national league, and on an excellent team, which will help with wins. I don't think he'll be this good for the rest of the year, but I don't expect the tailspin that was last year. Somewhere around a 3.5 era and a 1.15 whip for the rest of the year would be my projection. Still very solid, and I wouldn't be shopping him for any sort of discount, that's for sure.
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:01 am

Giambis wrote: I don't think he'll be this good for the rest of the year, but I don't expect the tailspin that was last year. Somewhere around a 3.5 era and a 1.15 whip for the rest of the year would be my projection.

Thats really not too much of a regression....I wouldn't be suprised with these numbers either if thats the case.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Guzman24 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:15 am

I don't currently have Haren but I am looking to add another arm for the 2nd half. He seems to be the best pitcher available to me via trade without me having to compromise my current lineup.

The mgr who has him is in 2nd last place and low on keeper options and will be willing to move him for my 1st round pick (96 players kept) Scherzer and Votto.

We don't have to discuss the trade, that's for another forum, but I'm just interested in hearing how everyone thinks he'll fare in the 2nd half this year. I had him last season and its making me a little hesitant as I went through that regression first hand.

Thanks so far for the replies.
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 1)

Postby redsoxflyfishr » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:20 am

Going forward do you see Haren being more valuable than a Josh Beckett?
redsoxflyfishr
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:40 am

Yoda wrote:Regression would be my guess but I wouldn't sell him low. Shop him around for comparable value.

I'm curious to see how Haren adjusts once teams have faced him multiple times. It was a pretty safe assumption to expect a decline because Haren was superb in Oakland and mediocre everywhere else.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby J35J » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:42 am

redsoxflyfishr wrote:Going forward do you see Haren being more valuable than a Josh Beckett?

I'll take Beckett. I do think they are close but Beckett will strike out more guys and likely get more wins. I do feel like Haren might be a touch safer though....being in the NL and not have the injury concerns. I'd still take Beckett though.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers