Coldplay's New CD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Coldplay's New CD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Coldplay's New CD

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:56 am

Metallica is about as hard as I go, I have nothing against harder rock but screaming gets on my nerves really easy and most bands harder than metallica screams, a lot. And bands that just seems angry to be angry that people around me like(notably Disturbed) just bugs the hell out of me.

And oh, men that are in touch with their feelings, you mean like this? :-D

Edit: NSFW, some cussing there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Simulacrum » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:59 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:Metallica is about as hard as I go, I have nothing against harder rock but screaming gets on my nerves really easy and most bands harder than metallica screams, a lot. And bands that just seems angry to be angry that people around me like(notably Disturbed) just bugs the hell out of me.

Is that the lead singer of Coldplay? :-?
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:01 am

Simulacrum wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:Metallica is about as hard as I go, I have nothing against harder rock but screaming gets on my nerves really easy and most bands harder than metallica screams, a lot. And bands that just seems angry to be angry that people around me like(notably Disturbed) just bugs the hell out of me.

Is that the lead singer of Coldplay? :-?

shhh, it's between me, you, (Optional)God, and Chris Martin ;-)
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:05 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:really curious as to what h0rt listens to :-?

if the answer is anything short of death metal.. :-?

I listen to muzak and other midi elevator music.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:21 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:really curious as to what h0rt listens to :-?

if the answer is anything short of death metal.. :-?

I listen to muzak and other midi elevator music.

Air Supply, eh?
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:31 pm

thedude wrote:To me the people who listen to Indie are even worse than the people who listen to Coldplay. They are the annoying elitist race car drivers, who are trying to be different than the mainstream race car drivers because it makes them feel special.

I'll just patiently await the arrival of Lil Wayne and T-Pain's collaborative project.

Race car drivers? Whatever do you mean by that? ;-7 }:-)

Yes, you're absolutely right. Indie rock fans tend to be more annoying than those who listen to Coldplay. They're the kind of snobs that will grab on the next best thing because they're unknown and fresh enough, while holding them dear as they're still unknown. If that band makes it big like a Coldplay, they'll say that band's music is fodder and search for the next best unknown thing.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:42 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:And bands that just seems angry to be angry that people around me like(notably Disturbed) just bugs the hell out of me.

Personally, I love metal, simply because it's fun to listen, not because it's a cathartic way of expressing anger. It's a great adrenaline rush and for me, I like music that's more straightforward and direct, something you don't really get out of general rock or indie rock, especially with indie rock that tries way too hard to be profound upon different levels that it loses its meaning in my opinion.

Not all metal is anger for the sake of anger either. I think the genre gets a bad perception for producing music just for shock value by glorifying violence, atheism, and Satanist rituals, especially when we're talking about thrash and death metal, but at times, there are good points to be made from their music too. Personally, all I care is how heavy and fast the metal is, which means I'll enjoy it more and I don't take the messages seriously as a reflection of my own personality.

BTW, Disturbed is NOT metal.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby statsman88 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:12 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
thedude wrote:To me the people who listen to Indie are even worse than the people who listen to Coldplay. They are the annoying elitist race car drivers, who are trying to be different than the mainstream race car drivers because it makes them feel special.

I'll just patiently await the arrival of Lil Wayne and T-Pain's collaborative project.

Race car drivers? Whatever do you mean by that? ;-7 }:-)

Yes, you're absolutely right. Indie rock fans tend to be more annoying than those who listen to Coldplay. They're the kind of snobs that will grab on the next best thing because they're unknown and fresh enough, while holding them dear as they're still unknown. If that band makes it big like a Coldplay, they'll say that band's music is fodder and search for the next best unknown thing.

Yeah thats kinda what I was getting at with my earlier comment. Maybe it was just some people that I knew, but I knew guys that though Parachutes and Rush Of Blood To The Head were good. Then Coldplay gets huge and now they think they suck and call people 'gay' who listen to them. If 40 Year Old Virgin would have used Death Cab For Cutie, Snow Patrol or maybe Sufjan Stevens for their little joke it would be 'gay' or 'lame' to listen to those guys too
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:20 pm

I hated it too when I was a novice to european extreme metal but after awhile, it grew on me and now, it's really what makes it work.

If you following along with the lyrics, you'd be surprised at how what you thought was inaudible nonsense suddenly has a very crisp delivery. Since Simulacrum mentioned their name, Meshuggah is a pretty good example of this phenomenon. :-B
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:20 am

Grounded Polo wrote:

I hated it too when I was a novice to european extreme metal but after awhile, it grew on me and now, it's really what makes it work.

If you following along with the lyrics, you'd be surprised at how what you thought was inaudible nonsense suddenly has a very crisp delivery. Since Simulacrum mentioned their name, Meshuggah is a pretty good example of this phenomenon. :-B

Oh, it's just the screaming that gets on my nerves. The whole I don't understand what the hell the lyrics means factor don't bother me too much. After all, Pearl Jam is one of my favorite band and after X listens of Yellow Ledbetter, I still haven't the slightest clue what's going on. I respect all different kind of metal, it's just not for me most of the time. But when I get angry or frustrated, I've found that metal really calm me down. But for general listen, it just gets a bit too intense for this relaxing person here :-D . Don't get me wrong, it's not like I just listen to elevator musics here. But I do enjoy a good melody. And you'll probably disagree with me on this, but I think the Arcade Fire can be intense music even though it's not hard.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk