Schmidt "sizzles" in workout - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Schmidt "sizzles" in workout

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Schmidt "sizzles" in workout

Postby TownDrunk » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:44 am

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/sf/news/sf_news.jsp?ymd=20040229&content_id=643130&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Anyone doubting Jason Schmidt is ready for the season merely had to see the Giants right-hander during his first batting practice session on Sunday.

Sizzle -- pop! Sizzle -- pop! That was the sound Schmidt's fastball made as it hummed through the desert air and smacked leather at Indian School Park.

And there you have it folks. ;-D

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:48 am

At least that *POP* isn't his elbow. I was worried for a second. Not that the noise his fastball makes is valid fantasy information, but at least they didn't have anything negative to say. I have Schmidt in nearly every league this year, and if he's healthy he'll be a steal in all of them. He was the #1 fantasy pitcher last season, and he missed 5 starts and was injured at the end of the season. Imagine a full healthy season? Wow. I can't wait ;-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TownDrunk » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:51 am

Most batters flailed in the 10-minute session. Few took big cuts. And Schmidt refused to use the normal protective screen near the mound.

"Sneaky hard, free, the ball was really traveling to the plate," said manager Felipe Alou. "I heard something from all the hitters. They said he was throwing hard and don't know how anybody can hit that changeup. He's tough."

It was an emphatic way for Schmidt to show the baseball world there is nothing wrong with his surgically repaired right elbow, that he's right on track to start the Giants' second Cactus League game against the Chicago Cubs this Friday at Scottsdale Stadium.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby NZF » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:09 am

LBJackal wrote: Imagine a full healthy season? Wow. I can't wait ;-D

About as much chance of that as JD Drew and Griffey lasting the year off the DL. This guy has only pitched over 200 innings 3 times in the past 8 years so don't count on it.

He is going to win 15 games tops and don't expect last years ERA or Whip either.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:29 am

He's had 3 injury plagued seasons, but other than that he's been relatively healthy. His last 2 seasons have been awesome. He was on the bereavement list for some time last year due to his mother dying, so I don't think the missed starts are all injury related. But him with 29 starts last year was better than anybody with any amount of starts. If the surgery on his elbow helps him stay healthy this year, I have no doubt that he'll be a steal in most leagues. But the more people that under-rate him the better :-D

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby NZF » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:35 am

LBJackal wrote:He's had 3 injury plagued seasons, but other than that he's been relatively healthy. His last 2 seasons have been awesome. He was on the bereavement list for some time last year due to his mother dying, so I don't think the missed starts are all injury related. But him with 29 starts last year was better than anybody with any amount of starts. If the surgery on his elbow helps him stay healthy this year, I have no doubt that he'll be a steal in most leagues. But the more people that under-rate him the better :-D

He's no steal, he's going in the second round of any draft I've seen.
Expect more like his 2002 numbers where he was very average away from Pac Bell.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:22 am

I havn't seen him go in the second. He was the last pick in the 4th round in the Cafe Challenge behind guys like Hank Blalock, Carl Crawford, and Mark Loretta ( !+) ).

That's a steal if he's healthy. He was the 11th SP picked and he was #1 last year despite missing 6 starts. I'm saying if he's healthy he'll be a steal, and that's hard to deny.

What's the reasoning for him having stats like his road stats in 2002? His road stats last year were almost identical to his home stats. I weight those stats more heavily than I do simply his away stats from 2 seasons ago. But like I said, the fact that so many people doubt him only makes him cheaper to acquire, which is fine by me.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby prodpaul » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:52 am

SSSSSSHHHHH Other owners in my league my be listening.

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:10 am

But you have to wonder, will his elbow hold up after 10-15 starts? That's my concern, how it will hold up over the long haul.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mightyian5 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:50 am

ive got a good feeling about him. maybe well see 2.50-18 wins and 200 k this season. not bad at all.
theyre coming.....
mightyian5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers