Managers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Managers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Managers

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:14 pm

Is it me or is Lou Pinella the most underrated Manager in baseball. He did a fairly damn good job with Tampa considering what he was given, in Seattle he won 116 games and put up Seattle's best seasons in franchise history, and now in Chicago he's leading the cubs to a world series title. People seem to focus more on his on field blow ups than his plentiful succes. It's like every franchise he touches ends up succesful, even Tampa's rocking it now.

And on the other hand, is it me or is La Russa the most overrated manager ever. He has never really done anything outstanding, and was handed outstanding talent in St. Louis, and still just barely was succesful.

Anyone else agree?
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Managers

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:33 pm

Yanks_Baby wrote:Is it me or is Lou Pinella the most underrated Manager in baseball. He did a fairly damn good job with Tampa considering what he was given, in Seattle he won 116 games and put up Seattle's best seasons in franchise history, and now in Chicago he's leading the cubs to a world series title. People seem to focus more on his on field blow ups than his plentiful succes. It's like every franchise he touches ends up succesful, even Tampa's rocking it now.

And on the other hand, is it me or is La Russa the most overrated manager ever. He has never really done anything outstanding, and was handed outstanding talent in St. Louis, and still just barely was succesful.

Anyone else agree?

a) Let's not get ahead of ourselves with the Cubs -- they've won nothing yet.
b) The 2006 Cardinals were hardly what I'd call 'outstanding talent' -- Yadier Molina, David Eckstein, So Taguchi, Scott Spiezio, Aaron Miles, and Juan Encarnacion all saw quite a bit of at bats in that lineup, and they had 2 starters with an ERA under 5.

I think Tony is a super over-manager; although sometimes it works out for him, and other times it blows up in his face. I don't think he's as great as some others think, but I also don't think he's the most overrated manager ever, or close, really. Sweet Lou is a good manager as far as I'm concerned, though I don't think underrated, as he generally gets his due.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:05 pm

I like Piniella a lot and think he is a good manager but I don't think he qualifies as most underrated or even underrated at all. He is well respected and widely considered a good manager.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Pinella is a good manager but the Cubs haven't won anything yet and the 2001 Mariners were one of the most disappointing playoff teams I can remember.

LaRussa is pretty good in his own right. He seems to be much more polarizing so people either overrate him or underappreciate him.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:05 am

Yanks_Baby wrote:And on the other hand, is it me or is La Russa the most overrated manager ever. He has never really done anything outstanding, and was handed outstanding talent in St. Louis, and still just barely was succesful.

Anyone else agree?

Yes, he sucks ;-D
He should be in jail. I guess "Do you know who I am?" still works.

Yanks_Baby wrote:Is it me or is Lou Pinella the most underrated Manager in baseball. He did a fairly damn good job with Tampa considering what he was given, in Seattle he won 116 games and put up Seattle's best seasons in franchise history, and now in Chicago he's leading the cubs to a world series title. People seem to focus more on his on field blow ups than his plentiful succes. It's like every franchise he touches ends up succesful, even Tampa's rocking it now.

He seems to be somewhat progressive (is that the right word) for a member of the good ol' boy club.
I read in Wonderland that he was asked why he didn't use B.J Upton as a DH, and he said he'd be embarrassed to put a young speedy guy at DH. Next day B.J Upton, DH. The fact he's willing to try new things is admirable, and he also seems to deflect pressure from his team to himself, which is an excellent trait in a manager (or veteran player for that matter).
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:40 am

Nice insights. I'm curious to hear who you do think the most over and underrated managers are...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Return to Baseball Leftovers