Anyone watching Yanks' game? Why did Joba leave? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Anyone watching Yanks' game? Why did Joba leave?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone watching Yanks' game? Why did Joba leave?

Postby harold_bush » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:04 pm

Please tell me it was the pitch count hitting 100, and that he did't leave b/c of injury. IT just seemed odd that after getting the first two out by strikeout that they wouldn't allow him a chance to finish the inning.

Anyone?
C- Montero/Napoli
1B-Pujols
2B-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Wright
OF-Dunn, J. Upton, Ichiro
UT-Chris Young
Bench - Carlos Lee, Pierre, Aramis

SP-Liriano, Wainwright, Jamie Garcia, Nolasco, Colby Lewis
RP- Wagner, K-Rod, Capps, Wood, Corpas
harold_bush
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anyone watching Yanks' game? Why did Joba leave?

Postby Adventuresofgabe » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:08 pm

hit 100 pitches
Adventuresofgabe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby harold_bush » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:27 pm

Well, if that doesn't sum up my year in pitching. I can't buy a win, and rack of losses at an alarming rate. I have a respectable ERA of 3.80 (not great I realize), and have a 24-40 record, and we count losses. The next worst record in my league is 22-25, and that is w/ an ERA north of 4.00. One fricking out away from a possible victory and he gets pulled.

Sorry, had to vent. I'm at least glad you aren't telling me it was due to injury.
C- Montero/Napoli
1B-Pujols
2B-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Wright
OF-Dunn, J. Upton, Ichiro
UT-Chris Young
Bench - Carlos Lee, Pierre, Aramis

SP-Liriano, Wainwright, Jamie Garcia, Nolasco, Colby Lewis
RP- Wagner, K-Rod, Capps, Wood, Corpas
harold_bush
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:49 pm

aww...widdle baby Joba cant throw more than 100 pitches
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby cwrtlm » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:52 pm

Alrighty I have been patient with him for a while now and this is just about to Tick me off. I assume his next start he could maybe go 105 pitches? Come on already let him eat, he obviously is the Yankee's most dominant starter. If he could only go past the 5th or 6th inning! I have both him and Kershaw and both don't seem to last anytime in a game.
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:04 pm

cwrtlm wrote:Alrighty I have been patient with him for a while now and this is just about to Tick me off. I assume his next start he could maybe go 105 pitches? Come on already let him eat, he obviously is the Yankee's most dominant starter. If he could only go past the 5th or 6th inning! I have both him and Kershaw and both don't seem to last anytime in a game.

It's almost like you drafted young pitchers who may be on pitch/inning counts.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:24 pm

Matthias wrote:
cwrtlm wrote:Alrighty I have been patient with him for a while now and this is just about to Tick me off. I assume his next start he could maybe go 105 pitches? Come on already let him eat, he obviously is the Yankee's most dominant starter. If he could only go past the 5th or 6th inning! I have both him and Kershaw and both don't seem to last anytime in a game.

Lol, exactly my thinking. You get what you pay for. If you can't use Joba's 5.2IP, 4hit, 1ER, 3BB, 9K game to help you without the "W," why bother having a great SP who is on a pitch count and might, as a result, get a lot of no decisions? You read all the same articles as we did on the kid.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:41 pm

thejusman1 wrote:
Matthias wrote:

Lol, exactly my thinking. You get what you pay for. If you can't use Joba's 5.2IP, 4hit, 1ER, 3BB, 9K game to help you without the "W," why bother having a great SP who is on a pitch count and might, as a result, get a lot of no decisions? You read all the same articles as we did on the kid.

Come on fellas. It's quite possible that he'll be off any sort of pitch cound post ASB. Be patient.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cwrtlm » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:12 pm

Matthias wrote:

How about I picked them both up of Waivers and thought they would pan out by now. I think the Yanks are being a little over protective. What kind of confidence are you building in a guy when he strikes out his last batter with one more out to go and you yank him rather than letting him have a chance to finish out the inning.
I picked these guys up for post all-star break Wins, like all the articles you all eluded to said they would be good for. So I am expecting 10 wins after the break from both of them! ;-D
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:51 pm

cwrtlm wrote:
Matthias wrote:

How about I picked them both up of Waivers and thought they would pan out by now.

I would say 5 2/3 innings, 1.235 whip, and 9K's, is, "panning out"; if you don't agree, drop him to the wire and let someone deal with these hardships.
cwrtlm wrote:I think the Yanks are being a little over protective. What kind of confidence are you building in a guy when he strikes out his last batter with one more out to go and you yank him rather than letting him have a chance to finish out the inning.

I think what they're saying is: "You're 22 years old and we see you as a big part of our major franchise for years to come. To make sure that happens, we're going to hold to strict limits so you don't blow out your arm and we lose you." That should be a pretty big confidence builder. It was less than a year ago that there were the, "Joba Rules" on pitching in relief in consecutive days for him and now you want him throwing 120 pitches every time out. Let me save you some frustration: the Yankees are not going to change their philosophy on handling Joba to satisfy your fantasy needs.
cwrtlm wrote:I picked these guys up for post all-star break Wins, like all the articles you all eluded to said they would be good for. So I am expecting 10 wins after the break from both of them! ;-D

Given that the ASB is actually a little more than halfway into the season, I would be surprised to see more than five pitchers total getting 10 Wins post-ASB. If you think you have the golden ticket that has two of them, don't waste your time with baseball; go to Vegas.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates