Next Impact Call Up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Next Impact Call Up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Next Impact Call Up

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:11 am

neoforce wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:Rasmus hasn't even been the best OF in Memphis. Nick Stavinoha is having a very fine year and deserves a shot as well...

I hate to be a pain, but there is no way Stavinoha will be an impact call up. Oh he may come up and do well for a while, at some point. But impact in 2008? Long term impact? I doubt it.

1) As I posted earlier, the Cards outfield is crowded, hard for anyone in St. Louis to find ABs there until there is a trade/injury.
2) If they do make playing time in St. Louis OF, they will do it for Rasmus, one of the top prospects in all baseball. Stravinoha is having a good year, but is not a top prospect

Some notes on Stavinoha:
- not in anyones preseason top 10 St. Louis prospect list
- Is 26 years old. Typically long term impact players are in the MLB in their early 20s.
- Is indeed batting .349 AAA, but other indicators show he is playing over his head. In AAA last year he hit .261.
- has only 11 walks in 276 plate appearances this year.

I think Stavinoha is a one year wonder. Ceiling of reserve OF in the majors, more likely a journeyman AAAA player.

Absolutely agree. But my point is it would be hard for the Cardinals to bring up Rasmus who by all accounts has had a subpar year and hasn't even been the best OF on his team this season. No way Rasmus will make an impact this year MUCH less be the next one...
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby neoforce » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:08 am

RedHopeful wrote:
neoforce wrote: I think Stavinoha is a one year wonder. Ceiling of reserve OF in the majors, more likely a journeyman AAAA player.

Absolutely agree. But my point is it would be hard for the Cardinals to bring up Rasmus who by all accounts has had a subpar year and hasn't even been the best OF on his team this season. No way Rasmus will make an impact this year MUCH less be the next one...

hmm. when you say you agree, I'm guessing it is about what I said about Stavinoha. Because I don't agree it would be hard for the Cardinals to bring up Rasmus due to a subpar year.

The odds are against him because of the OF situation in St. Louis and the strange stuff that happened with St. Louis telling him to change his approach at the plate, and then his dad posting complaints on an on line forum causing friction. But that doesn't mean there is no way he gets called up.

Don't focus on his full year stats when saying he has had a "sub par" year. Focus on the fact that all scouting seems to agree he has amazing upside. And focus on the fact that since the situation with his dad, and him going back to his original approach at the plate, he has been killing the ball. Look at his monthly splits for Ave/OBP/SLG:

Arpil: 210/306/371
May: 218/314/317
June: 342/419/539 8-o (I don't think that is subpar!)

Rasmus needs to be on your radar for 2008 potential. As is the title of this thread, he could indeed be an impact call up. The odds aren't the best because I think he needs a trade (either him or someone currently on St. Louis) or injury to create playing time for him. But if that does happen and he comes up, it won't be as a platoon or reserve, but for full time at bats.

Depending on your roster/bench, he could be worth a gamble now. I'm sure he is not available in any keeper league with any type of bench/reserve system.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby neoforce » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:22 pm

After all of the back and forth between Red Hopeful and me about Rasmus and Stavinoha, I figured I should at least post this from RotoWorld:

The Cardinals plan to call up outfielder Nick Stavinoha from Triple-A Memphis before Sunday's game.

Stavinoha, 26, had a lackluster 2007 season after getting promoted to Triple-A, but he's sporting a 345/.373/.498 line this year. He gives the Cardinals a better option at DH during their lengthy AL road trip. They've gone with Yadier Molina and Adam Kennedy in the first two games at Fenway. Stavinoha could also pick up a couple of starts in the outfield with Chris Duncan needed at first base.

He was indeed the DH today against, and the game is in the 12th inning right now. He just had his sixth AB. He is 1-6 with 3 K's on the day so far. One game means nothing, and it will be interesting to see if he gets ABs in the coming week as DH. But when interleague is done, I can't see him getting ABs.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Captain Furtah » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:32 pm

what about Maybin?

Jun 25 Maybin went 3-for-4 on Tuesday at Double-A Carolina and is hitting .338/.395/.675 in June.

Recommendation: His strikeout rate is way down as well. The Marlins probably will want to see him maintain that lower strikeout rate before moving him up. They are third in the NL in team OPS, so they can afford to let Maybin work on maintaning his newly developed patience at the plate.
Bleachergm.blogspot.com
Captain Furtah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby njknights » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:18 pm

about laporta and gamel... i read somewhere that the Brewers wanted to keep the class of hitters mainly together as they progress through the minors like they did with fielder, braun, and hart. And they have said they want to keep gamel in AA for the rest of the season so he can work on his abysmal defense. I really cant imagine them keeping the group in AA for the whole year tho... im expecting this class of hitters to finish the season in AAA and compete for spots in spring training next year
njknights
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tmlfan4ever » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:17 pm

Adam Lind. Has a starting gig and has nothing left to prove in AAA.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Philliebuster » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:41 pm

I'm hoping its Mad Max (ramirez).
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DSheppard » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:24 pm

Speaking of MaxRam, 2 for 2 with a monster homerun in his 2nd start.

his playing time is a big concern fantasy wise, but post trade deadline he may find himself with every day time.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pizzaboy76 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:46 am

Well Davis is up and making an impact. Also I think LaPorta is much closer to getting called up. Probably after the all-star break.

So are the next impact players at this point?
pizzaboy76
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:28 am

pizzaboy76 wrote:Well Davis is up and making an impact. Also I think LaPorta is much closer to getting called up. Probably after the all-star break.

So are the next impact players at this point?

I think we'll see Price, Wieters, LaPorta, Gamel, McCutchen, Garcia, Carrasco, Weathers, and maybe even one of the early college draft picks from this year's draft. I also think a lot of this will be contengent on trades.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers