JP Ricciardi vs. Adam Dunn (Part 1 and now 2!!!) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

JP Ricciardi vs. Adam Dunn (Part 1 and now 2!!!)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: JP Ricciardi vs. Adam Dunn

Postby pepperoncino » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:49 pm

dunn's on base percentage this year is close to .400. and i think he is second in the league in walks.

so, in conclusion, j.p. ricciardi is an idiot.
pepperoncino
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:52 pm

What an idiot.
Circumstances could have changed tomorrow, and Jocketty could have ring up Ricciardi and said "I really love/need ______ that you have, and I'll do a 1 for 1 swap for Dunn." And it could be a sweet offer.
Not happening now.
This would be close to a sackable offense to me. Slagging off players that you need badly, and who are possibly on the market is not in the best interests of your team.
Obviously he learnt nothing from Uncle Billy. :-t
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:20 am

mweir145 wrote:JP Ricciardi's words on the radio yesterday about Dunn when questioned by a fan as to why the Jays haven't looked into getting him:

He's a lifetime .230-.240 hitter, who strikes out a ton and hits home runs....

the fact that ricciardi used batting average in this instance shows just how unintelligent he is.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rotundor » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:44 am

Sigh, and I though JP was supposed to be a moneyball guy...

Also, a daily paper up here just had some new stuff:

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Baseball/article/446527

[Dunn] knows now that if he does become a free agent, Toronto will be crossed off his list as a potential destination.

"I can eliminate one team," Dunn said. "I'm not converting dollars to loonies and toonies just yet."

Dangit JP
Rotundor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:46 am

I think JP just announced to the world what a moron he is. May as well wear a permanent dunce cap. How can you take him seriously?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:06 am

My favorite part of this whole saga is the reference to Canadian currency as 'loonies and toonies'. :-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:52 am

mweir145 wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:
You know the guy doesn't really like baseball that much? ... Do you know the guy doesn't have a passion to play the game that much?

If we assume that Ricciardi wasn't lying to the fan, then Ricciardi probably obtained this information from some kind of scouting, or from asking other players that have played with Dunn. The problem isn't necessarily with believing that Dunn doesn't like baseball, it's actually saying it over the radio.

Agreed - note that I didn't say that he was wrong, only that he actually said it in a public forum. Pretty classless.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby zepfan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:04 am

Apparently JP just "let his guard down" and now wants to apologize to Dunn. Probably a good move but this whole thing still doesn't make him look very good.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Jays GM apologizes for criticizing Reds OF Dunn
8 hours, 59 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintTORONTO (AP)—Toronto Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi apologized to Cincinnati counterpart Walt Jocketty over critical comments he made on a Toronto radio station about Reds outfielder Adam Dunn.

“It’s my fault, I take full responsibility for it,” Ricciardi told The Globe and Mail newspaper of Toronto on Thursday. “I tried to get Adam’s phone number from the Reds … and if he wants to talk to me, I’ll talk to him and apologize personally. But I apologize to him and the Reds. I need to be better than that. I let my guard down”.

Dunn responded angrily Thursday after learning that Ricciardi questioned Dunn’s passion for playing during the GM’s weekly call-in show on Toronto radio station The Fan 590 on Wednesday night.

“I know nothing about this clown. I have no idea who he is,” Dunn told reporters in Cincinnati early Thursday, before the Red played the Dodgers. “I don’t really care what one guy thinks, to be honest with you. If I’m a GM, I don’t know if I would go out of my way to kind of discredit a player.”

Ricciardi offered a brutally frank response to a caller wondering if the Blue Jays had any interest in trying to acquire Dunn, who is making $13 million in the final season of his contract....

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby bdrotoronto » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:23 am

zepfan wrote:Apparently JP just "let his guard down" and now wants to apologize to Dunn.

Sure. And presumably he also "let his guard down" when he admitted to lying about BJ Ryan's health status. Or when he blasted Gil Meche for signing with KC. Or when he called out Vernon Wells and Troy Glaus a couple of years ago (when the team was actually hitting). Or when he outbid himself to sign Frank Thomas, and included a poison pill in the contract so that he's better off paying him $10M/yr to play for Oakland. Or when he thought that Shannon Stewart was a better player than Reed Johnson. Or when he ignored his entire scouting staff's advice to draft Tulowitzki, and went with a dud instead. etc. etc..

FIRE THIS MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-t %-6 :-P X-I
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:31 am

bdrotoronto wrote:
zepfan wrote:Apparently JP just "let his guard down" and now wants to apologize to Dunn.

Sure. And presumably he also "let his guard down" when he admitted to lying about BJ Ryan's health status. Or when he blasted Gil Meche for signing with KC. Or when he called out Vernon Wells and Troy Glaus a couple of years ago (when the team was actually hitting). Or when he outbid himself to sign Frank Thomas, and included a poison pill in the contract so that he's better off paying him $10M/yr to play for Oakland. Or when he thought that Shannon Stewart was a better player than Reed Johnson. Or when he ignored his entire scouting staff's advice to draft Tulowitzki, and went with a dud instead. etc. etc..

FIRE THIS MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-t %-6 :-P X-I

Don't forget the public grilling of Burnett last season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers