JP Ricciardi vs. Adam Dunn (Part 1 and now 2!!!) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

JP Ricciardi vs. Adam Dunn (Part 1 and now 2!!!)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

JP Ricciardi vs. Adam Dunn (Part 1 and now 2!!!)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:02 pm

JP Ricciardi's words on the radio yesterday about Dunn when questioned by a fan as to why the Jays haven't looked into getting him:

Let me ask you something: what do you know about Adam Dunn? ... He's a great hitter? He's a lifetime .230-.240 hitter, who strikes out a ton and hits home runs.... You know the guy doesn't really like baseball that much? ... Do you know the guy doesn't have a passion to play the game that much? How much do you know about the player? There's a reason you're attracted to some players and there's a reason why you're not attracted to some players. I don't think you'd be very happy if we brought Adam Dunn here. I think you'd be one of the guys calling me on Wednesday night complaining about all the deficiencies the guy has. .. We've done our homework on guys like Adam Dunn and there's a reason why we don't want Adam Dunn. And I don't want to get into specifics but we've done our homework on a lot of the guys that you guys keep mentioning to us. We're way ahead of you guys in looking at the things and there's a lot of things and a lot of reasons why we wouldn't go get those guys. I appreciate, you know, the advice to go get these guys but we know more about them than maybe the average fan does.

Adam Dunn's response:
I don’t know the clown. I don’t know, and you can use the word ‘clown’ if you like.
I’ve seen it, I haven’t heard it. I really don’t care what one guy thinks, to be honest with you. If I’m a G.M., I don’t know that I’d go out of my way to discredit a player -- if I’m a player. He’s obviously won more than me, I guess. Or hasn’t. I know nothing about him.

The players didn’t say anything, it’s just some clown sitting in a front office pushing paper. I don’t play for any other reason than the guys here. I’ve said it all along, it doesn’t bother me what people say or think, especially someone outside of the organization who has no idea of anything that goes on here. He’s not even in our country. This guy’s in another country talking ****.

He felt like he needed to say it for some reason, I have no idea why and I don’t care. He could be in this clubhouse right now, I wouldn’t know. I couldn’t tell you his name, what he looks like – he’s got a big mouth, that’s all I know about him.

I read it, I just read it. I don’t care. He doesn’t have to use my name, use someone else’s name. I’m not taking up for him, because I don’t care about him. I don’t know who he is. I’m not going to sit here and defend someone who’s going to sit there and say I don’t care about baseball. It pisses me off, to be honest with you. He doesn’t even know me. If he knew me, fine. Say what you want. But this guy doesn’t know anything about me other than what he sees on whatever SportsCenter they have on up there. That’s it.

It pisses me off. It does. I just told you it pisses me off when people who have no idea what the **** goes on around here and then say – I don’t give a **** what people say in this clubhouse, I don’t care, besides what’s said in here. I don’t care about the perception people have of me, if anything happens, it looks like I ain’t going to Toronto. I can eliminate one team.

I’m not converting my dollars into looneys and twoneys just yet. They’re really good, actually.

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2008 ... _the_clown

There's never a lack of controversy in Toronto with this mediocre team, I'll say that.
Last edited by mweir145 on Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: JP Ricciardi vs. Adam Dunn

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:50 pm

Odd that he would attack Dunn.......the exact kind of player Toronto needs on their roster these days....
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby jealousblues » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:11 pm

because RIccardi is so successful
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby silverZ » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:11 pm

Yea, because Stairs .250 8 Hr's so far is really getting it 'dunn' in the DH spot.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:20 pm

I'm one of the biggest critics of Dunn and even I wouldn't go out of my way to bash him like JP did here nevertheless going public with his comments. It's getting clearer that JP simply is not GM material as he is a PR nightmare. His philosophy and knowledge of the game could help him land another MLB job but I don't think he will ever be successful as a GM.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:28 pm

If Dunn knew more about JP's pathetic record running this team, he'd know he could call him much worse than a clown.

We're way ahead of you guys in looking at the things and there's a lot of things and a lot of reasons why we wouldn't go get those guys. I appreciate, you know, the advice to go get these guys but we know more about them than maybe the average fan does

This is the same guy of course who picked up Shannon Stewart because he "could hit falling out of bed"..
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DK » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:01 pm

I laughed out loud at this:

mweir145 wrote:I’ve said it all along, it doesn’t bother me what people say or think, especially someone outside of the organization who has no idea of anything that goes on here. He’s not even in our country. This guy’s in another country talking ****.

:-b
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby zepfan » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:22 pm

Wow. Sounds like Ricciardi's going a little crazy there to just start ranting like that. As I was reading I was thinking maybe he had something personal against him but then Dunn said he's never even met him... God forbid we should get one of the more consistent players out there... Maybe Ricciardi doesn't want players who are just going to clog up the bases. :-S

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Rotundor » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:30 pm

:-t on Riccardi. I hope he get fired before john gibbons if the Jays feel they need an escapegoat ( :-D) for our extreme crappiness.
Rotundor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Matthias » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:01 pm

I don't see what's wrong with Ricardi's answer. He was asked, "Why don't you guys trade for Adam Dunn?" And his long answer, although a bit long-winded, was: "We've looked into it and are not interested." Maybe he rambled a bit more than he needed to, but no big deal.

Sheesh.... touchy touchy.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers