Vernon Wells Season - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vernon Wells Season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Vernon Wells Season

Postby bizdog54 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:55 am

Im thinking 320,37,120,200 hits,15sb's--
Top 10 in AL MVP balloting-MONSTER UPSIDE--Anyone else?
bizdog54

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby reelbiggecko » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:07 am

.310-30-110-20 SB
reelbiggecko
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby issyg67 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:33 am

He plays in Toronto, the Blue Jays don't steal bases. Plus, he's hitting in front of Carlos Delgado. Wells has had 4, 9 and 5 stolen bases in the last three seasons, there is no reason to expect him to get more than 9.

He showed up to spring training 15-20 pounds lighter than last year. I'm not even sure he'll hit 30 home runs this season.
issyg67
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:42 am

Yeah, he showed up 20 pounds lighter. He said he changed his diet from chicken and broccoli to beef and eggplant, and he never used steroids. I don't know what to make of it, but I'd definately assume he used steroids or something comparable.

Why would somebody who had a breakthrough season lose 20 pounds in an offseason when it is a well known fact that people who lose weight this offseason will be stereotyped as 'roid users? This same question was asked to him on Canadian TV and he said "You can always improve". Well I'm not buying it.

His power could drop, but his steals could go up. 20 pounds is a hell of a lot of weight, and from what I remember he used to have some speed. I'd be slightly worried if I had to rely on him for the bulk of my power.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby NZF » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:40 am

Man 20 lbs is alot. A couple of seasons ago people were talking this guy as a likely 30 / 30 contender. But not with Toronto.

This season is going to be very interesting to see how these lighter power hitters perform ;-)
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mightyian5 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:53 am

hell still post at least 25 homers and probably well over 100 rbis. add in a .320 and 10 steals and you have a fantasy force.
theyre coming.....
mightyian5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheRawDAWG » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:08 am

I would like anyone who thinks Wells wont at least duplicate lastyear's numbers to go onto the predictions boards and post it. We can all have a good laugh when the season is over. Wells lost his chub. He is still a big man. He just now has less FAT to carry around. And it's not like he is putting up numbers that weren't expected from him. He was a top notch propect and he's just turning that potential into reality. Anyone who passes on Wells because of his weight loss will be kicking themselves by the end of the season.

.320, 40, 125, 110, 8.

Toronto doesn't run so he wont get a big increase in his steals. Cause no matter what you've heard Wells could run last year and the year before. But he just isn't allowed to run in Toronto.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lesgrant » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:51 pm

20 lbs is a lot of weight, ‘roids or not. I can buy the .320 avg., and 100 plus RBIs. But, 40 jacks sounds optimistic considering the weight issue looming as a legitimate question mark. Does anyone know what his current weight is?
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby phatjagz14 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:06 pm

He is currently listed at 225, which isn't exactly skinny. Vernon Wells is an athlete who has trained his body to lose weight because of steroids, diet, whatever. It's not like this guy was barfin in the bathroom after his meals. To expect any sort of major dropoff in power is a little ridiculous, especially because everyone is ASSUMING it's steroids. When you ASSUME, you make an ASS out of U and ME. IMO 40 dingers may be a bit much, but 25 seems too low. Personally I still rank him as a top 10 OF, or at least very close to that.
It's like I've died and gone to heaven......but then they realized that it wasn't my time, so they sent me to a brewery.
phatjagz14
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheRawDAWG » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:07 pm

He's close to 215 with about 7% body fat. At 6'1" this makes for a still large very cut man. I'm 6'2" 210, with 16% body fat. I'm a big guy. Vernon is bigger with less than half the fat. Seems pretty solid to me.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers