Anyone worried about Webb? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Anyone worried about Webb?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Anyone worried about Webb?

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:33 am

Agreed. If you have a top 3 pitcher, you absolutely don't play matchups. That's ridiculous. Unless I hear definitive news of an injury, he's getting the start. He's much more likely to toss a gem (regardless of opponent or setting) than he is to get smacked around, as his track record would strongly suggest. I'd much rather have a stinker or 2 added in with his dominant outings than miss out on his big nights trying to out think myself.

Honestly, and I don't have anything to back this up, I think a lot of people are trying to connect too many dots to come to a negative conclusion about Webb's poor performance: the dead arm comment, the comebacker, the innings, etc. My opinion is that he just had a rough start. It happens to everyone. I'm not ready to panic until he throws a couple stinkers out there.

Again, I'm not saying there's absolutely nothing wrong, I'm just suggesting that no one do anything crazy at this point. I'll be starting him with confidence his next time out.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby freeling_prideful » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:24 am

I actually watched the game and it was a really strange sight, seeing him get rocked.

That being said, here are a few caveats:

1) I have no idea how the A's hit him that well in the 1st inning. He had all his pitches working fairly well--his sinker was spotted to both sides of the plate with good velocity (maybe too good--90-92 instead of his typical 88 mph, so maybe it lost a little break). His change was always down in the zone but got hit hard, which is surprising. His curve also was pretty sick--he twice threw pitches to Cust right on the inside corner and at the knees that were borderline, and both were called balls en route to an eventual walk (after he started with an 0-2 count).

2) His mental game seemed to be off. In the first inning he threw a ton of offspeed stuff, a lot of curves and changes. He had good control of them, but I think he should have just gone out there and thrown 80-85% sinkers the first time through the lineup and he would have done better. Mixing in the offspeed stuff the second time around would probably have worked better. Anyways, hopefully he gets back to using his dominant sinker regularly.

3) He was definitely thrown off by being hit hard in the first inning or two, so afterwards his control was kind of off and he started nibbling.

So I think there's nothing wrong w/ him, he just had a bad game. Start him w/ confidence every week.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thatguy27 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:38 pm

Struggling big time in the fifth today...
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:10 am

thatguy27 wrote:Struggling big time in the fifth today...

I was more encouraged by the way he bounced back with the perfect 6th and 7th. Aside from the 5th, he looked as good as ever. I'm not worried about him going forward. In fact, now may be the best time to buy low on him...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Simulacrum » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:58 am

The D-Backs as a whole are really struggling right now. I don't expect them to play this poorly the rest of the year, and I believe Webb's numbers will improve as the team starts to regain their poise. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby thatguy27 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:49 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
thatguy27 wrote:Struggling big time in the fifth today...

I was more encouraged by the way he bounced back with the perfect 6th and 7th. Aside from the 5th, he looked as good as ever. I'm not worried about him going forward. In fact, now may be the best time to buy low on him...

I was also impressed by how he bounced back... something he wasn't able to do in his previous start. Also, watching the highlights, it looked like most of the hits in the fifth were ground balls that got through, so I'm not worried at all at this point.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby jahmon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:03 pm

I agree with the above poster. I only saw the highlights but judging from what ESPN showed, he was a victim of bad luck in that 5th inning. Ball lost in the roof of the metrodome that CoJack missed, couple squib hits through the middle, and the Drew error messed things up really badly. If not for that ball lost in the roof (which is considered a hit) he might have only given up 1 run the whole game. He then got through the 6/7 inning in a total of 28 pitches. Looks like a good start was marred by deceptive bad luck.

Peace,

Bow
jahmon
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates