Anyone worried about Webb? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Anyone worried about Webb?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone worried about Webb?

Postby thatguy27 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:16 pm

His velocity has been down lately and he said he might be going through a bit of a dead arm phase. Furthermore, he took the shot from Delgado two starts ago. Do we expect a swift return to his usual dominant self or could he be in for more rough outings to come?
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone worried about Webb?

Postby Amazing Oopah » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:30 pm

I think you simply have to temper your expectations of him from now on. Instead of him being a must start, no questions about it, you may want to start taking matchups into consideration and such.
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Amazing Oopah wrote:I think you simply have to temper your expectations of him from now on. Instead of him being a must start, no questions about it, you may want to start taking matchups into consideration and such.

Really? Webb is at worse one of the top 5 pitchers and you are gonna play matchups with him?
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thatguy27 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:41 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
Amazing Oopah wrote:I think you simply have to temper your expectations of him from now on. Instead of him being a must start, no questions about it, you may want to start taking matchups into consideration and such.

Really? Webb is at worse one of the top 5 pitchers and you are gonna play matchups with him?

I certainly don't intend to play matchups... unless he strings together three or four outings similar to last nights, he will always start for my team. Still, I am a bit worried that he may be in for a rough patch, at least until after the All-Star Break.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:49 pm

thatguy27 wrote:
Bobbleheadrusty wrote:

I certainly don't intend to play matchups... unless he strings together three or four outings similar to last nights, he will always start for my team. Still, I am a bit worried that he may be in for a rough patch, at least until after the All-Star Break.

I agree with you, but with a guy like Webb (and an offense like AZ) you can't sit him in almost any format. The night you choose to is the night he pops out 12-15ks in a 4 hit shutout.

And yeah, a couple bad starts in a row might be time to panic, but its way to early to talk about stuff like that.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thatguy27 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:59 pm

I guess what worries me the most is that in two of his past 5 outings he has failed to last at least 5 innings. By comparison, since the start of the 2005 season, the only other time in which he failed to make it that deep was his final start of 2006.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ROC AllStars » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:19 pm

To be fair, he was pulled out of the NYM start as a precaution because of the come-backer. I'm a bit worried about his last start, but since he's my staff ace I really have no choice but to start him regardless of matchup. He's dominant enough that he could turn it around in any game.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby thatguy27 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:40 pm

ROC AllStars wrote:To be fair, he was pulled out of the NYM start as a precaution because of the come-backer. I'm a bit worried about his last start, but since he's my staff ace I really have no choice but to start him regardless of matchup. He's dominant enough that he could turn it around in any game.

The second game that I'm referring to was the Atlanta game on May 26 when he lasted only 4.1 innings.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:28 am

Webb has said that his arm felt fine, but said that maybe he's heading into a "dead arm" stage. Whatever it is, I think his velocity is OK, but he's not getting the kind of movement the desired for a sinkerball pitcher. Webb hasn't gotten the kind of horizontal movement on that sinker that a sinkerballer like himself should have to be successful; whether that's the arm or not, it's still a bit unclear.

That said, perhaps being struck in the hip affected Webb (I'd think there's some kind of contusion), but I also think Bob Melvin does a fairly good job in taking care of his pitchers. Webb is usually a workhorse, but for what it's worth, he's had a few games where he's gone the distance and maybe skipping his next turn in the rotation could be a good thing. I'm not really that worried, but this is of course something to keep an eye on.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Rman3911 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:37 am

Die hard D Backs fan here. Let me get this straight. The comebacker from Delgado has absolutely NOTHING to do with what's goin on with his pitching. He's obviously a top 3 fantasy pitcher, and you're still going to have to start him every week. WIth the dead arm issue: he's going to break out of that eventually, considering I can't remember if ever he's gone on the DL. If they even have to limit him to 90 pitches, he's still going to get you a win 70% of the time. He gets some of the best run support in the league, so go with your horse, unless otherwise noted.
Rman3911
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates